If you need a gun, don't go?

This is a discussion on If you need a gun, don't go? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, I've heard a lot of people say stuff like "If you need a gun where you're going, you shouldn't go there." I disagree. I ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you need a gun, don't go?

Hey, I've heard a lot of people say stuff like "If you need a gun where you're going, you shouldn't go there." I disagree. I don't think you should let criminals change your routine either way, ie you shouldn't go looking for a fight, but you also shouldn't let them intimidate you into not going certain places if you are going there for legitimate purposes.

Am I wrong? I would like y'all's opinion on this since, as I've said many times, I do not have my CCW yet and want to make sure that I am a smart and responsible sheepdog once I get my permit.

Let me give you an example. I was on an extended vacation in Canada last year living with my sister who is studying art up there. I've always been interested in martial arts but haven't ever had the opportunity to train as there was never a dojo near by, and we moved around a lot. As you can probably imagine, there were plenty in Toronto where my sister and I were living.

So, I decided to start training in Aikido. The dojo I chose to attend was in a shady part of town. FTR, I never actually got into a confrontation or even heard about one, thank god, but the neighborhood had a vibe about it that gave me the heebie geebies. I decided to keep going though because I tried other dojos and didn't like the instructors as much as the ones at this school.

Should I have found another place to study?

Risk assessment is always good, but like you, I don't let some of those outside influences rule, or ruin my life. I have certain inalienable rights to go where I choose, do what makes me happy, and pursue any venue I so choose that interests me. May the Good Lord have mercy on those who choose to come between those things and myself.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    How long to you get your CCW? Do you not go to places now because of the 'threat factor', i.e., avoid? Why should CCW change that for you?

Toronto is a bad example...you couldn't carry there anyway.

Risk Vs. Reward. Is it really worth it to go there? That's a choice only you can make. We all draw the line in a different spot, and have different criteria for doing so.

(can't we have any Canadians brought to the states for you to beat on...)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Remember that 'shady parts of town' are not the only places criminals act.

VIP Member
    If you know you will need a gun, don't go there. That is common sense.

If it is likely you will need a gun, don't go there. That too is common sense.

Carry for SD is necessary because there is always risk which is unpredictable.

Only a fool (or LE or Soldier or armed professional) would knowingly and deliberately put themselves in a place where a gun is likely to be needed.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If you know you will need a gun, don't go there. That is common sense.

If it is likely you will need a gun, don't go there. That too is common sense.

Only a fool (or LE or Soldier or armed professional) would knowingly and deliberately put themselves in a place where a gun is likely to be needed.
    You mean, like working as a clerk in a c-store in a not so great part of town? I do that, most days. I don't consider myself a fool. But I have 2 guns at full disposal when I'm there, and stay alert, because you just never know.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

No, I do not let them change my routine if I am going someplace that is part of my regular routine or if I have legitimate reason for going.

However, I do tend to avoid going places that I think will likely lead to a confrontation.

When the local bank was robbed I didn’t stop banking there, but when I was told about a great little “hole in the wall” restaurant that serves a “killer” breakfast, I still didn’t go because it is in a “not so good” part of town.

As “youngda9” said, it’s about risk vs. reward. Am I going to let an isolated incident of violence change my lifestyle? NO. On the other hand, it just is not worth the risk to go into a known problem area just for a Saturday morning meal.

Some people take that saying or part of it and use it wrong. My grandfather told me "If you don't have any bussines over there without a gun. Then you don't need to go there just because you have a gun".
    To me it means don't go places you normaly would not go. If you don't go to THAT part of town then having a gun is no reason to go.
    Also owning a gun is a right, carrying a gun is a responsibility. Not to be taken lightly. JMHO
    It's not the bow or the arrow It's the NDN

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Good point.

Just like driving a car, if you knew you would be in a wreck you would avoid it; don't know when wreck might happen so always carry, I mean wear seat belt.

You may correctly assume I ain't going to Canada for any reason.

Another way to say it: "Don't go to a place with a gun if you wouldn't go to that place without the gun."

For me it is simple. Is there something at that location I can not obtain in a nicer neighborhood? If the answer is yes, is it something I am willing to risk my life to have? Unless you believe your life is in danger you don't need a gun there.
    So, if you think you need a gun there, you must feel that your life is at risk going there. What is it that is there you are willing to die for? You have to remember, the equation is not just the odds you will have to shoot someone, it includes the chances of you being seriously injured or killed also.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    For me it is simple. Is there something at that location I can not obtain in a nicer neighborhood? If the answer is yes, is it something I am willing to risk my life to have? Unless you believe your life is in danger you don't need a gun there.
    So, if you think you need a gun there, you must feel that your life is at risk going there. What is it that is there you are willing to die for? You have to remember, the equation is not just the odds you will have to shoot someone, it includes the chances of you being seriously injured or killed also.

Quote: You have to remember, the equation is not just the odds you will have to shoot someone, it includes the chances of you being seriously injured or killed also.
    I agree. I have the impression that that is not something many consider. The fact that one has a gun does not insure survival. If a BG comes into a room or wherever, and shoots you before you even know he is a danger it makes no difference if you had a gun or not.

It also can be the case that the BG is better than you and has the edge because he knows what he is going to do, and you do not until he starts it.
    There are very few Bill Jordans in the world. I ain't one, and I doubt anyone here is.

Except in very exceptional circumstances I would not go anywhere with a gun that I would go without one.

Regards,
    Jerry

I avoid certain places out of common sense. I really can't think of anything that I need that requires me to go to a "shady area".

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    How long to you get your CCW? Do you not go to places now because of the 'threat factor', i.e., avoid? Why should CCW change that for you?

Toronto is a bad example...you couldn't carry there anyway.
    Four months. It wouldn't, I was unarmed when I went to that dojo. I am trying to figure out whether it is morally responsible for me to go into a similar situation when I am armed and an attack on me could end up in someone getting shot.

Even though the area gave me a weird feeling, I decided that it was worth it to go to the dojo because I really enjoyed studying there. Would it be right for me to go there, though, if I was armed?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links