Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw. - Page 2

Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw.

This is a discussion on Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "I wonder why some of the anti-gun officers choose to become law enforcers..." Typically for the same reasons the pro-gun officers chose to do so. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw.

"I wonder why some of the anti-gun officers choose to become law enforcers..."

Typically for the same reasons the pro-gun officers chose to do so. In both instances it usually has nothing to do with their political views; practically never, believe it or not.
    God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    If pressed, I'd place the percentage of pro-CCW LEOs somewhere around 70%. (With approx 85% of them being pro-2A.)

Those figures can vary by region and local.
    My guess is the pro-2A percentage goes way down in NYC, Nassau and Suffolk County NY.

Quote Originally Posted by motorhed66 View Post
    I was told in my neck of the woods the police chief had a standing order out to his guys that if they discover a gun ,legal or not , to confiscate it. If you cant prove its yours by producing a receipt, transfer papers etc. They will take it .
    That is very disturbing..........

BC

Whats kinda cool about talking to off duty police at the bar is ,just that, they are off and more candid.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I have been pulled over probably a dozen times in the 13yrs that I have had a permit. All but one guy let me off with a warning and only two asked to see my guns. The one who actually gave me a ticket (no seatbelt), freaked out and was a complete ass. He actually took my pistol and then had to give it back to me because he didn't know how to unload a cocked and locked 1911. He had me unload it and then he took it back and stood there writing me a ticket. I asked him what he was worried about and he responded that I could shoot him if I had a gun. I just started laughing. It apparently never occurred to him that if I was going to shoot him, I would have done it one of the two times that he required me to have the pistol in my hand.
    That halarious!! Unfortunately we have too many guys like that at our department also. We call them "Traffic Bitches". Most of us are true believers in the second ammendment though and appreciate that other skilled responsible citizens are out there that might save a life when we can't because we are on a call for service.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I haven't had any LE encounters yet but I spend time pondering how I would handle the situation. I imagine the odds favor an uneventful encounter, so the toughest part is coming up with polite/courteous responses to belligerent questions because, as surely as the sun rises in the east, I'll get the ONE GUY in the department who has a personal problem with civilian carry.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Having served in law enforcement with the county, state, then federal for many years, I can give you my opinion. Most rank and file cops are pro-carry for chl's.

The ones that aren't are the chief's and deputy chiefs, and department heads. This is due mainly to political pressures from above.

As a fed, I am glad to see chl's, as one may just save my life or the life of another. The bad guys carry all the time, so to me, it just helps to even the odds.

Having said that, if you carry, then please use common sense when approached by a law enforcement officer, keeping your weapon concealed and hands in plain sight until he or she can figure out that you aren't the bad guy.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu

The guy that took my prints when I applied for my permit was a Mississippi Dept. of Public Safety Homicide detective. He told me that he thought that every law abiding citizen ought to carry. Other local law imforcement people that I know have basically told me they are in favor of it.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    .....or lap dances while carrying a pistol will make the dancers/hookers uncomfortable.......
    Yeah, they might confuse it with being excited.

My only encounter since I obtained my permit was with a LEO was when I asked him the best way to handle a traffic stop. Here's how it went.

The LEO was in my apartment complex doing some paperwork on another resident's issue. I approached him and asked if I could ask him a question. He replied, "Sure, go ahead." He stopped what he was doing and looked at me. I then handed him my driver's license and concealed firearms permit to examine. As he was examining them I asked him what the best way to handle a traffic stop for all concerned. He very politely told me to just keep my hands in plain sight and give the officer my DL & CFP and to follow the officer's instructions. He was very polite during this entire exchange.

He than returned my my DL & CFP to me and I accepted them from him. I then offered him my hand and thanked him for being so courteous and he shook my hand. He then went back to doing his paperwork which I had interrupted.

He was very professional and understanding about my query about a traffic stop.

I hope my first traffic stop with a LEO goes as well!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by motorhed66 View Post
    Hey Rhino, ,

Since I ccw , I find it interesting to find out what some of the local guys think of it ., the tempature of the water , if you will . A different perspective .
    when I took my CCW class I was told in my neck of the woods the police chief had a standing order out to his guys that if they discover a gun ,legal or not , to confiscate it. If you cant prove its yours by produceing a reciept, transfer papers etc. They will take it .

Not all of the cops are drunk sir, nor are all of the girls "hookers" by definition. I only mention it becuse it happens .

I mention it as a heads up to the officers involved , to avoid the distasteful events stated above.
    Fair enough
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I have a good policeman friend who thinks MOST people should be armed. Several times when we get together he has asked if I'm carrying. If the answer is "no" he wants to know "Why not?" TN has the stupid restaurant victim disarmament rule and that is usually the reason I am not armed.

I also have Sheriff's Deputy acquaintance. I haven't asked him directly, but I gather from snippets of conversations that he is pro-carry.

My only LE encounter while carrying was a minor traffic accident. I was wearing a large black untucked T-shirt and was sure noone could tell I was carrying, so I chickened out and kept it to myself. In TN you are not required to inform. I probably would have informed him if it was a one-car accident, but the 22-year-old girl who hit me was already a nervous wreck. Also we had my 5-year-old nephew with us and the couple in the other car had a child with them too.

All LEO that I've encountered in my area are pro carry and the only traffic stop since I began carrying went well enough.

I actually don't care what LEO or anyone else thinks about CCW. As far as I am concerned, it is no ones business but my own. Concealed is concealed and I don't pull mine out unless it becomes necessary.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

I have had three encounters since I started carrying. First was with an off duty Fort Worth LEO that lives in my neighborhood. We were chatting in his driveway and the wind blew my open shirt. He caught a glimpse of it and asked if I had a CHL. When I replied that I did he just smiled.

Second time I witnessed a pretty bad accident in I35W and stopped to help people out of their cars. When I was giving my statement to the LEO that arrived to work the scene, I handed him both my DL and the CHL, with the CHL slightly spread from the DL so he could see it. Never batted an eye or asked about it.

Third time was when I was pulled over. I got a little agressive making a left hand turn and let the Mustang get a little sideways around the corner. After pulling me over, I handed the DL and CHL to the LEO. He asked if I was in a hurry and I honestly replied "No, I just got a little carried away" HE just replied "slow it down for me ok?" And let me go.

All three were very positive encounters with Fort Worth PD.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links