Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw. - Page 3

Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw.

This is a discussion on Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by txshooter I actually don't care what LEO or anyone else thinks about CCW. As far as I am concerned, it is no ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txshooter View Post
    I actually don't care what LEO or anyone else thinks about CCW. As far as I am concerned, it is no ones business but my own. Concealed is concealed and I don't pull mine out unless it becomes necessary.....
    Which in TX means you have to inform the LEO you are carrying. It's then up to them to decide how to handle that information.

A smart way of having a copy recognize the good guy when the cop arrives is to hold you wallet out with your ID shown, most gang bangers and crinimals wont' do that and the cop will more than likely consider you a "good" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    A smart way of having a copy recognize the good guy when the cop arrives is to hold you wallet out with your ID shown, most gang bangers and crinimals wont' do that and the cop will more than likely consider you a "good" guy.
    Only works if you have the CCW Badge.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Only works if you have the CCW Badge.
    I had someone buy a gun from me and when they took out their money out of the wallet, I saw the badge, i was trying not to laugh

I live near detroit (about 15mins outside of it) but I work at a bar downtown on the weekends as a bouncer. I am real good with the roaming police officers down there and talk to them often.

I asked there opinion of having a cpl and they all told me to do it and get it asap. They said that Detroit is the most dangerous city in the world and most of the innocent people that get killed by bad people would have had a much better chance surviving if they do carry. The cop that I talk to the most then handed me his card and told me that if I ever pull my gun out in detroit and have to use it to call 911 immediately and then call him and he would come to my aid.

Overall it was really positive and hes right about Detroit being voted the most dangerous city in the world. The bad guys are starting to show up in the nicer outskirt neighborhoods for break-ins, theft and whatever else they conjure up.

People around my area are already getting robbed in parking lots, stalked, houses broken into, shot etc. because this economy is making people desperate and crazy. Especially with Chrysler filing bankruptcy this morning...its only going to get worse. I carry 100% of the time because you can never be too prepared in times like these.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalrob View Post
    I live near detroit (about 15mins outside of it) but I work at a bar downtown on the weekends as a bouncer. I am real good with the roaming police officers down there and talk to them often.

I asked there opinion of having a cpl and they all told me to do it and get it asap. They said that Detroit is the most dangerous city in the world and most of the innocent people that get killed by bad people would have had a much better chance surviving if they do carry. The cop that I talk to the most then handed me his card and told me that if I ever pull my gun out in detroit and have to use it to call 911 immediately and then call him and he would come to my aid.

Overall it was really positive and hes right about Detroit being voted the most dangerous city in the world. The bad guys are starting to show up in the nicer outskirt neighborhoods for break-ins, theft and whatever else they conjure up.

People around my area are already getting robbed in parking lots, stalked, houses broken into, shot etc. because this economy is making people desperate and crazy. Especially with Chrysler filing bankruptcy this morning...its only going to get worse. I carry 100% of the time because you can never be too prepared in times like these.
    I agree with all of this except the bit about the economy being part of the problem. Someone who will rob or shoot you will do it no matter what economic shape the country is in. Criminals are criminals. The huge majority of them have never held a steady job to begin with, so the bad economy hasn't effected them. They were always losers and always will be.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    I agree with all of this except the bit about the economy being part of the problem. Someone who will rob or shoot you will do it no matter what economic shape the country is in. Criminals are criminals. The huge majority of them have never held a steady job to begin with, so the bad economy hasn't effected them. They were always losers and always will be.
    Well I think that the economy is creating more criminals that are desperate and only trying to sustain themselves or family. They may figure, if I can just get a couple of hudred bucks to last until my unemployment check comes, I can keep my motor home, atv's fishing boat and jet skis. Maybe I can beat the odds and rob the local 7-11.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    The bad economy means they gotta rob more people to make the same amount of money. The law of diminishing returns is truly equal opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Well I think that the economy is creating more criminals that are desperate and only trying to sustain themselves or family. They may figure, if I can just get a couple of hudred bucks to last until my unemployment check comes, I can keep my motor home, atv's fishing boat and jet skis. Maybe I can beat the odds and rob the local 7-11.

That has not been my experience. Perhaps it is different elsewhere, but we are not arresting people without any criminal history who just lost a job and have turned to a life of crime to support themselves. We are arresting the same people we have always arrested for the same kinds of things. Most of these people don't work anyway, they live on a combination of our tax dollars (in public housing, on public assistance, etc.) and our money and/or property they steal through criminal enterprise.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Every LEO I know has been pro-carry. In a stop or situation where a LEO is involved with someone who has a permit, they just want to know for their own safety. I've got a family member that has carried for over 40 years (and has a bit of a lead foot) and produces his permit the first thing whenever he gets stopped. He's never had a bad encounter - nor a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Which in TX means you have to inform the LEO you are carrying. It's then up to them to decide how to handle that information.
    That would be correct.... so far, I have never had a negative reaction by either local and state LEO although I always received a traffic citation.

Now that I think of it, there was this one time passing thru San Antonio the local officer let me off with a warning.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

From the conversations I have had in RL with LEO concerning CCW, their only concern has been going into situations where they can't tell the GG from BG. I don't take it as anti-CC, just a realistic concern when arriving on scene.

I know of one SD situation (someone I know who shot a carjacker) where a just off duty LEO (not in a uniform) said something like he was moments away from shooting the person I know. After the shooting, car owner had gun out of holster, back to the car, and waving in around (but pointed at ground). Carjacker dead on the street. However a group of the carjackers friends had run off, and car owner was not sure what was going on. Then, car owner still shell shocked, un-uniformed LEO shows up, less then a minute after hearing shot, firearm out, yelling police, drop the weapon, down on the ground, now now (or something like that). The car owner put enough wits together to put the firearm down and lie down with hands up.

LEO stated he has a family to go home to, scared guy with a gun is a threat, and he has a responsibility to act (something like that). He stated the same concerns happen when an under cover LEO pulls a gun, just a factor that always requires some jargon he used, I can't remember what he called it.

So not really a CCW permit issue, just one of those situations that makes them nervous when the the situation is just not perfect.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    From the conversations I have had in RL with LEO concerning CCW, their only concern has been going into situations where they can't tell the GG from BG. I don't take it as anti-CC, just a realistic concern when arriving on scene.

I know of one SD situation (someone I know who shot a carjacker) where a just off duty LEO (not in a uniform) said something like he was moments away from shooting the person I know. After the shooting, car owner had gun out of holster, back to the car, and waving in around (but pointed at ground). Carjacker dead on the street. However a group of the carjackers friends had run off, and car owner was not sure what was going on. Then, car owner still shell shocked, un-uniformed LEO shows up, less then a minute after hearing shot, firearm out, yelling police, drop the weapon, down on the ground, now now (or something like that). The car owner put enough wits together to put the firearm down and lie down with hands up.

LEO stated he has a family to go home to, scared guy with a gun is a threat, and he has a responsibility to act (something like that). He stated the same concerns happen when an under cover LEO pulls a gun, just a factor that always requires some jargon he used, I can't remember what he called it.

So not really a CCW permit issue, just one of those situations that makes them nervous when the the situation is just not perfect.
    All very true but the only perfect situation is the one that doesn't happen. We have the burden to keep ourselves from being shot. at least the shooter had the presence of mind to obey the officer and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Senior Moderator
    I haven't heard of many police officers being anti-ccw.

I used to work at a fun range where we hosted the local police qualifications. I used to advise officers on how to carry off-duty and had in-depth conversations with the instructor who was a great guy. All of the officers that I ran into were very pro-ccw.

In fact, after receiving a death threat and reporting it to the police, the desk sergeant asked me if I had any means of defending myself.

I said, "Well, the first thing I did after getting the threat was get out my shotgun. I work at [the range] and have my CCW."

He laughed and said, "I've been up there and I think I know you. I'm not worried about you at all! If anything happens you just call us back. We'll come clean up the mess."

And that was that. I would say he was okay with it, maybe even pro-ccw.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I haven't heard of many police officers being anti-ccw.

I used to work at a fun range where we hosted the local police qualifications. I used to advise officers on how to carry off-duty and had in-depth conversations with the instructor who was a great guy. All of the officers that I ran into were very pro-ccw.

In fact, after receiving a death threat and reporting it to the police, the desk sergeant asked me if I had any means of defending myself.

I said, "Well, the first thing I did after getting the threat was get out my shotgun. I work at [the range] and have my CCW."

He laughed and said, "I've been up there and I think I know you. I'm not worried about you at all! If anything happens you just call us back. We'll come clean up the mess."

And that was that. I would say he was okay with it, maybe even pro-ccw.
    Geez who would threat the life of someone like you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links