Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw.

This is a discussion on Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a full time firefighter, so I work with cops all the time. I also am a bartender at a gentlemans club . I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asked a few cops what they thought of ccw.

I am a full time firefighter, so I work with cops all the time. I also am a bartender at a gentlemans club . I ask every coherent cop I run into what they think of CCW..Only one negative response and most responded with phrases like " One less victim" .." Be sure to empty your piece and finish the job " . One officer voiced concern about responding to a scene and haveing to figure out who the bad guy is in the middle of a shootout, however romote the possibility of that being a frequent occurance.

Also, if you are a police officer, DEA, CIA operative, NSA,ICE, or MIB..and you are carrying with out credentials quantifying your ability to do so without scrutiny... do not get a lap dance. The ladies are prone to hysterics, then we are then forced to try and figure out who you are. Then we gotta call our boys in blue and then they have to call your case officer, Chief, first SGT., or your mommy to get you out of the can . CONCEALED, Ya dig?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Interesting post. I todate havent had a bad LEO experience, especially since my family is in LE I run into them all the time. The only thing that shocks me is I out carry the LEOs here. If Im awake and got my pants on Im carrying almost 100% ....within the law is the main reason Im not 100%.
    As to the situation you deal with
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

You don't out carry me, but I'm more than willing to admit that I am the exception rather than the rule at my department.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    You don't out carry me, but I'm more than willing to admit that I am the exception rather than the rule at my department.

I'm an exception too.

I did however get one co-worker to start carrying a second gun off duty.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by motorhed66 View Post
    I am a full time firefighter, so I work with cops all the time. I also am a bartender at a gentlemans club . I ask every coherent cop I run into what they think of CCW..Only one negative response and most responded with phrases like " One less victim" .." Be sure to empty your piece and finish the job " . One officer voiced concern about responding to a scene and haveing to figure out who the bad guy is in the middle of a shootout, however romote the possibility of that being a frequent occurance.

Also, if you are a police officer, DEA, CIA operative, NSA,ICE, or MIB..and you are carrying with out credentials quantifying your ability to do so without scrutiny... do not get a lap dance. The ladies are prone to hysterics, then we are then forced to try and figure out who you are. Then we gotta call our boys in blue and then they have to call your case officer, Chief, first SGT., or your mommy to get you out of the can . CONCEALED, Ya dig?

What are you trying to convey in this post? That 9 out of 10 drunk cops are pro carry, or lap dances while carrying a pistol will make the dancers/hookers uncomfortable.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I was asked a cop if my carry permit was good for the whole state or just the county I am in since it's the county Sheriff's that issue the permits. He wasn't completely paying attention to what I said and a minute later he back tracked and said "Wait a minute you have your carry permit" and I said "Yes" then he said "It's a state wide thing". I told him I wasn't carry at the moment because I was on private property that bans guns so I was not armed. Just to make him feel more comfortable and at ease. He said he runs into people like me once in a while who have their permit.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

I'm an exception too.

I did however get one co-worker to start carrying a second gun off duty.

Biker
    You are ahead of me there. I think I might be the only officer on my department that actually carries a backup on-duty. I carry the same BUG off-duty too (also as a BUG), and I'd probably get accused of being totally nuts for carrying two guns off-duty if anyone knew I did.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I haven't asked any LEO's of their thoughts on CC permit holders. I'd be curious to ask one just for the heck of it. I'd be curious to hear their honest opinion on the subject.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Hey Rhino, ,

Since I ccw , I find it interesting to find out what some of the local guys think of it ., the tempature of the water , if you will . A different perspective .
    when I took my CCW class I was told in my neck of the woods the police chief had a standing order out to his guys that if they discover a gun ,legal or not , to confiscate it. If you cant prove its yours by produceing a reciept, transfer papers etc. They will take it .

Not all of the cops are drunk sir, nor are all of the girls "hookers" by definition. I only mention it becuse it happens .

I mention it as a heads up to the officers involved , to avoid the distasteful events stated above.

If pressed, I'd place the percentage of pro-CCW LEOs somewhere around 70%. (With approx 85% of them being pro-2A.)

Those figures can vary by region and local.
    God, country, family.

I've only had one bad LEO experience while carrying and it was kinda silly. I was asked by the LEO why I had a gun and politely told him "for self defense". He said against what? he then went on rant about how I was part of the problem and that he didn't se why anyone other than cops should carry guns.

Anyways hes the only bad one I've had the rest have all been 100% positive and in favor or law abiding ccw.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I wonder why some of the anti-gun officers choose to become law enforcers, is it because they want a power trip, or maybe its just a job that has good retirement benefits? I would say over half of the total LEO population is pro 2A and would want to see more law abiding citizens protecting themselves so they don't have to run all over town responding to victim calls. Twice I have encountered LEOs and informed them of my concealed handgun. The first time it was a female officer, but at the time I did not have my CCW license, but carried because it was and still is allowed by law. She seemed kind of nervous and with a big sigh and asked me what and why I was carrying. I told her it was a .45 caliber pistol and that it was for personal self defense. Nothing more was said. The 2nd time it was a guy officer, and that time I had my concealed carry permit. I told him I had a permit to carry and he told me that was fine. He even suggested I tape my permit to my drivers license which was cool.

I still have yet to encounter any local law enforcement officers that freak out when I tell them I am carrying a gun, most of them seem to know Alaska's laws which is a good thing.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I have been pulled over probably a dozen times in the 13yrs that I have had a permit. All but one guy let me off with a warning and only two asked to see my guns. The one who actually gave me a ticket (no seatbelt), freaked out and was a complete ass. He actually took my pistol and then had to give it back to me because he didn't know how to unload a cocked and locked 1911. He had me unload it and then he took it back and stood there writing me a ticket. I asked him what he was worried about and he responded that I could shoot him if I had a gun. I just started laughing. It apparently never occurred to him that if I was going to shoot him, I would have done it one of the two times that he required me to have the pistol in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    If pressed, I'd place the percentage of pro-CCW LEOs somewhere around 70%. (With approx 85% of them being pro-2A.)

Those figures can vary by region and local.
    My instructor gave the impression that he felt it was more like 95% pro. The three or four officers that I have gotten an unofficial opinion of was all pro. Of course these were officers that were teaching the shooting portion of the class, or on the gun review board. I don't know if that's a volunteer position, or assigned in rotation, if it's paid or gratis.

They all seemed genuinely glad to be helping though.

I've been pulled over by Texas DPS and several Houston PD when carrying and all of them had no issues at all with me carrying. Only one of the DPS situations resulted in a written warning, not speeding ticket, and all others let me go. No way do I expect that from any officer but I guess they decided to give me a break. One HPD even spent about 20 minutes conversing with me about wives getting CHL's. Neither of ours have theirs and we both wanted them to get them, even though we both agreed that they were probably not the best folks to be carrying. Not a gender issue but both of our wives are apparently hot headed sometimes. We laughed about what the wives would characterize us as.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links