I didn't carry today at all - Page 2

I didn't carry today at all

This is a discussion on I didn't carry today at all within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think it's great you felt comfortable unarmed....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I didn't carry today at all

Day off is ok...

I think it's great you felt comfortable unarmed.

TN Mike,

I get to feeling like you did today very often.
    I do not like to carry. I'd rather not do so.

But when I start feeling that way I then recall incidents by other licensed and who normally carry citizens who suffered such as these...

* 2 men found dead outside Garland recording studio Zion Gate
    02:44 PM CDT on Thursday, June 19, 2008
    2 men found dead outside Garland recording studio Zion Gate | Dallas-Fort Worth Entertainment News and Events | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Teens say double murder netted them $2
    Posted on Tue, Jun. 24, 2008
    Teens say double murder netted them $2 | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com

* Couple left badly beaten in skate park
    8:45pm Sunday 12th August 2007
    Couple left badly beaten in skate park (From Lancashire Telegraph)

* Trolley Square shooting
    Trolley Square shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The above three incidents never fil to leap to my mind first and foremost.
    People wh will take your life from your loved ones, and my children, for northing more than pocket change or simply to them sport because they may not like the way I appear to them. And disaffected social misfits who appear in the most unexpected of locations with intent to do everyone they contact harm.

It's these that make me think of my children, now 6 and 2, enduring a life with no "DaDa". Or worst surviving my injuries someone less than who I am now dependent upon my wife to take care of everything including medical bills too.

No thanks.
    I starp on my gun and thanks to Officer Ken Hammond with the Trolley Mall event I definitely remember to strap on an extra one if not two backup magazines as one is not enough per his lesson.
    Additionally I may bring a knife and as of Saturday I've now added a combined CS/OC spray product to my EDC load out so I don't have to shoot nobody.

I have a moment of thought like your day most every other week.
    And every week I think of the above and get my mind right.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

There's been times over the years that I've thought the same way, started to leave the house unarmed but every time I've gone back to the bedroom and loaded up. For me it's the same as my blood glucose machine, testing supplies,and other stuff that I have to carry around, the day that I need it and don't have it I'm screwed. I'd love a day off from all of it but just can't take it.
    I definitely understand where you're coming from Mike, glad you enjoyed your day off.

Forgive me if presumptuousness, but this is at least a possibility for some.

It might be that you left something else at home besides your gun. That something else could be responsibility. Responsibility to protect yourself and others around you. Sometimes when we take the responsibility of carrying a defensive weapon it can be a burden. Like driving a school/church bus load of children. The burden is more than getting them to their destination. It's the weight of responsibility you feel while they are in your care. Just having the means to protect the innocent can set a person up to feel that same way.

I don't carry around the house. I keep my doors locked and have weapons within easy reach, but I just don't feel the need to carry on-body inside. I do actually carry when I'm mowing the yard, or otherwise working outside the house. Generally its just my Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special then though, which I bought specifically for working around the house as its light and easy to carry, but packs enough punch to say put down an attacking feral dog, which is more of a threat where I live than a criminal.

When I go anywhere off my property I'm carrying two handguns, spare ammo for both, OC, cuffs, and all the usual personal items. I recently flew to Missouri and I wasn't wearing all the usual stuff since I had to check a bag with the one handgun I took on the trip. So, for the several hours of the flight, airports, and walking to and from the car, I was unarmed. I had actually forgotten how comfortable clothes can be when not wearing weapons. Still, I felt uncomfortable the whole time until I rearmed when I arrived.

I understand how it might feel nice to take a holiday from carrying, but I just can't seem to do it. I'm obviously required to carry at work, and I've been carrying in "soft clothes" on either a permit or badge since 1995.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Hey Mike, dont tell no one but I watered my garden unarmed
    yesterday.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Mike, your were in good company yesterday.

Yesterday I cleaned out my truck, inside & out. While I was doing that I also did my laundry. All while my G26 was safely inside my locked apartment. At times carrying my G26 can get in the way. It is good not to always carry a gun on us.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

TN mike, is your gun uncomfortable to carry?
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

Now, who can explain to me why it felt good to walk around unarmed for the first time in more years than I can remember?
    You where with the wife or someone else who was armed?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I suspect it's a lot like having a day off from work. You have to figure, those of that carry, it's like we're on all the time. For every hour of every day, we're physically and mentally preparing to protect ourselves and our loved ones. So in effect, a day off from carrying is like a day off work. It's like having a burden lifted for a short time.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I suspect it's a lot like having a day off from work. You have to figure, those of that carry, it's like we're on all the time. For every hour of every day, we're physically and mentally preparing to protect ourselves and our loved ones. So in effect, a day off from carrying is like a day off work. It's like having a burden lifted for a short time.
    Sure is how I feel! I'm with TN Mike it feels relaxing I guess. I never really let my guard down, but it feels good to not have to worry if my skirt's up over my weapon or what building I'm going into. Good feeling to have once in a while........Less that once a month!
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

HERESY! I actually can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't carry if the law says I can. That's your choice, I'm glad your okay and you had a good day.

And as far as your comments on a low crime area, it's a low crime area til somebody chooses it to NOT be a low crime area with a robbery/murder or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Taking a day off of work doesn't increase your chances of getting killed.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Originally I wasnt going to prod because TNs reactions kinda made me flash back to my dads first shooting as a LEO, and thus I think its none of my D*&#@ business. But the not carrying after being very regular on CC.
    Im not sure, but I think TN had an incident.
    If this is so, its something I dont know but another person thats had a shooting can help ya with.
    I know even though my dad was a Nam vet, and has killed before after his shooting he had a few days he just didnt carry. It was something radically differant then combat, not only was his life threatened but my mothers. Not because he couldnt, but because he took a day to think about it, after that he has carried 100%.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Last I read from you is you were taking some time off. This was last week or so? Not much time off. Know you post this, do you want us to guess what happened? Are you dieing to tell us but you want us to pry it out of you? Can you not say what happened but you want everyone to speculate about what happened? I personally don't care as I don't know you but either give it up or not. These posts seam childish to me.

Oddly, I didn't carry today, either. I went to my regular diner for breakfast (where I am usually armed), ran a couple errands, worked for a couple hours out of my home office, then went to the driving range to hit a couple buckets of balls. It's rather hot today, and the outfit I was wearing didn't suit cc. The mesh golf pull-over and slim shorts couldn't hide my rig. I decided not to carry.

I am a new CHP holder, and I am still struggling with my risk tolerance. I am not yet in the always-armed camp. Maybe someday I will be, or maybe someday I'll get whacked by a BG because I made a fateful choice not to carry. With kids on their own and a large insurance policy on my head, I am actually worth more to Mrs Mac dead than alive. At least that's a fact she will bring up on occasion.

Also, I don't carry to be a "sheepdog". I carry only to protect me and my family. I feel the "sheepdog" mindset is a LEO-lite attitude, and I am not a LEO, nor am I a LEO wannabe.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links