I didn't carry today at all

This is a discussion on I didn't carry today at all within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by First Sgt There are three types of people: It will never happen to me - the fools. It might happen to me ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I didn't carry today at all

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    There are three types of people:
    It will never happen to me - the fools.
    It might happen to me - be prepared.
    It is going to happen to me - the paranoid.
    Those who think, 'it's never happened so it never will' are really unintelligent IMO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Those who think, 'it's never happened so it never will' are really unintelligent IMO.
    I don't feel it's fair to comment on anyone else's "intelligence". I guess you think 92% of the population of your town is unintelligent - but you, of course, are. This issue has NOTHING to do with how smart/stupid you thinks someone else's decisons may be.

I have a laid-off slacker for a brother. He's in MENSA, and has a very high IQ - I am sure much higher than I have. However, I struggled through college while in the military, then went on to get a graduate education, and have several certifications, and even a textbook under my belt. I have a large, international network of colleagues, clients, and friends, and I have been blessed with always having a great job in spite of several layoffs. I am in the tech industry.

My brother can't get a steady job because of his weak resume. They don't ask for your IQ results or your MENSA membership card on most job applications.

This issue is one of personal risk management. Some people accept certain risks, others take different precautions. Looking down your nose and calling them "unitelligent" is petty.

John Madden takes a motorcoach to all his announcing gigs because he doesn't want to accept the risks of commercial air travel. Statistically, he's 228 times more likely to die in the motorcoach given his schedule than if were to take commercial flights. Does that make him "unitelligent"? I guess you could make that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    You where with the wife or someone else who was armed?

"When Democracy Becomes Tyranny I STILL get to vote."

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

John Madden takes a motorcoach to al his announcing gigs because he doesn't want to accept the risks of commercial air travel. Statistically, he's 228 times more likely to die in the motorcoach given his schedule than if were to take commercial flights. Does that make him "unitelligent"? I guess you could make that argument.
    He can handle the crash. Its the falling out of the sky that bothers him.

Michael

Might as well put your spare tire and fire extinguisher in the safe, too.

(just being a little melodramatic....)

Quote Originally Posted by MP15TDriver View Post
    Might as well put your spare tire and fire extinguisher in the safe, too.

(just being a little melodramatic....)
    Ironic. I had a flat last week on a busy road. My spare (a "doughnut") was flat. No problem. Called AAA, they sent some nice kid in a truck to change the flat, he put on the doughnut and inflated it, got to the tire shop, and got it fixed within a half hour.

This isn't an either/or discussion. We all make personal risk management decisions differently. I don't worry about my spare. I pay AAA so they can worry about my car if it breaks down. They have all the tools, trucks, and trained people to take that concern off my plate. It's worth it to me for the few dollars a month it costs.

With risk, you can accept it, take steps to mitigate it (carrying a ccw, for example), or transfer the risk (like having a AAA membership). Even living in a nice, "safe", bedroom community, I still want the option of using a sidearm for personal and family protection.

If someone else makes a different decision, well, that's what's great about America. It doesn't make them stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    This issue is one of personal risk management. Some people accept certain risks, others take different precautions. Looking down your nose and calling them "unitelligent" is petty.
    I see that, short as it was, you did not understand my post. I suggest you read it again. The issue I addressed was not personal risk management, nor with people who accept certain risks. The people I deemed unintelligent are those who are in denial about SD. Deal with it.
    Last edited by United93; April 27th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    HERESY! I actually can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't carry if the law says I can. That's your choice, I'm glad your okay and you had a good day.

And as far as your comments on a low crime area, it's a low crime area til somebody chooses it to NOT be a low crime area with a robbery/murder or something else.

Taking a day off of work doesn't increase your chances of getting killed.
    Didn't say it did. I was just throwing it out there as possible reasoning. Personally, the few times I've managed to forget my carry weapon, I feel naked. But that's me.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Good for you... i guess...?
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Good for you Mike.

Nothing wrong with a day off once in a while. I do it myself on occasion. If I know I am going to be doing some stuff around the house and the gun will be a PITA to have on I simply leave it off.

Heck if we are camping and playing in the lake or river what have you, it stays in the motor home. No I don't put one in a plastic ziplock baggie and try to conceal it in my trunks. I am married and won't be fooling anyone.

Again, glad your doing good and don't worry, most of us have taken days off as well.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I suspect it's a lot like having a day off from work. You have to figure, those of that carry, it's like we're on all the time. For every hour of every day, we're physically and mentally preparing to protect ourselves and our loved ones. So in effect, a day off from carrying is like a day off work. It's like having a burden lifted for a short time.
    I agree except for one thing, I would phrase it "for every waking hour of every day....."

I would suspect that when asleep you're in Condition White.

VIP Member
    My reason to carry was a direct result of being compromised with my gal, in a time and place I wouldn’t have expected. Yeah, prior to that I always said I was going to take a CCW course but frankly, I didn’t want to spend the money i.e. course, permit, gun and all the other accessories and hassles that comes with it.

Anyway, I sorta like the “seatbelt” analogy posted in this thread, as it seems to fit perfectly with my mindset. Now, for those whom always wear one; just try driving off without it secured, and you’ll immediately feel uncomfortable. On the flip side, I live in a golf resort community and no, I’m not rich! So, as I was walking my dogs, I noticed some tagging on a neighbor’s wall “MS13”, etc. I was really surprised but it was a sobering reminder that even in my “Andy of Mayberry” neighborhood, the potential threat isn’t too far away.

Now, to guess your exhilarating feeling of “no guns for old men”, I haven’t a clue. Heck, I do wish that I wasn’t compelled to carry these days' but our society isn’t always as civilized as it appears. Actually, I could pass away today, knowing I lived a full life, although I don’t want to die for some stupid-ass reason as I look at my killer and think to myself; why didn’t I bother to carry today?
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    One should be able to be "comfortable" whether carrying or not.....there are times when I am unarmed. During those times the alert level goes us....and there is at least some kind of alternative weapon with me (ie knife, kubotan, small asp baton)................
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I rarely do not carry since getting my permit and it goes back to the seat belt comment about hoping to never need one. But after 28 years of not needing one "that day" happened to me and the once and VERY RARE occasion I did not have one on I was seriously injured in a roll over because of it. (passenger sleeping on floor of minivan). So although I do not count myself as paranoid I have been too many times in the situation that "will never happen"

TN, the only reason why I might think you enjoyed your time "nekkid" is because someone else (whom you know is carrying and competent) was accompanying you on your errands. Especially a "special other" or family member who just got legal to carry, kind of when you first let your child drive you around in your own car.

If you didn't carry "just because," then you knew better but decided to play the odds. Yes, the likelihood of anything happening is slim. Just curious, did you lock your house doors before you left? Do you have insurance on your car when you drive? What about your own health insurance? Obviously you only need insurance when you crash or get sick so why carry it ALL THE TIME? Because you don't know when you will actually need it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links