I didn't carry today at all

This is a discussion on I didn't carry today at all within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i cant do it .have to have mine....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I didn't carry today at all

i cant do it .have to have mine.
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Mike,

How you live your life is none of my business, so I was hesitant to comment. But the first thought I had after reading the OP was what would you have done on this day had you not been armed, and what might have been the outcome?
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    ...As he got to the gas pumping area and about 4 or 5 feet from the front of my Jeep, I was at the rear where the gas tank door is, I told him to stop in a loud but not rude voice. I also stepped partly behind the rear of my vehicle just to put it more between us. I asked him what he wanted. He asked for a lite. I told him I did not smoke and had no lighter. He then asked if he could use the lighter in the car and took a step or two toward the drivers door and started to reach for the handle. (it was locked) and I again, in a louder voice told him to stop and to step back.

He then launched into a yelling tirade calling me a punk and several other more colorful names. He then said, and I quote "I got something for you!" and reached with his right hand to his 4 0'clock position under his coat.

I was already in condition red and when he reached alarm bells were going off in my head like crazy. I honestly do not remember drawing my Glock but suddenly it was in my hand and pointed at this moron. He did not wait around to find out what might happen next, he turned directly away from me and ran away back towards Getwell.
    How you live your life is your business and not mine. I'm just concerned about your safety.

Good point Grady!

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Good for you Mike.

Nothing wrong with a day off once in a while. I do it myself on occasion. If I know I am going to be doing some stuff around the house and the gun will be a PITA to have on I simply leave it off.

Heck if we are camping and playing in the lake or river what have you, it stays in the motor home. No I don't put one in a plastic ziplock baggie and try to conceal it in my trunks. I am married and won't be fooling anyone.

Again, glad your doing good and don't worry, most of us have taken days off as well.

Its too bad some feel carrying is a PITA, maybe you guys should consider a different gun.

And whats with "a day off", as if it was so difficult, or tiresome to carry.

Do you guys "take a day off" from caring for your family, protecting them?

How many "take a day off" from carrying their wallet, ID, Credit Cards?

How about taking a "day off" from having vehicle or life insurance? Can we choose the day we will die? Have a traffic accident?
    Need to defend ourselves with a gun?

Mrs Hupp lost her mom and dad while they were peacefully enjoying themselves in a restaurant. She then fought to give us Texans a right to carry, no sir, im not taking any "days off", nor feel i even have to.

My $.02
    Last edited by Dihappy; April 27th, 2009 at 09:48 PM.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by Dihappy View Post
    Its too bad some feel carrying is a PITA, maybe you guys should consider a different gun.

How about taking a "day off" from having vehicle or life insurance? Can we choose the day we will die? Have a traffic accident?

Mrs Hupp lost her mom and dad while they were peacefully enjoying themselves in a restaurant. She then fought to give us a right to carry, no sir, im not taking any "days off", nor feel i even have to.

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Dihappy View Post

Mrs Hupp lost her mom and dad while they were peacefully enjoying themselves in a restaurant. She then fought to give us Texans a right to carry, no sir, im not taking any "days off", nor feel i even have to.

My $.02
    Yea, well if I have my Jeep up on the jack or blocks, and am laying on the creeper all day working on the differential or something like that, yea, it is a PITA to have a gun on.

I am on the 6th year of carrying and for the most part, I carry 99% of the time, so you really don't need to try to lecture me on when and where to carry.

Are you with your family 24/7, do you go sit by your wife while she is at work, or your kids all day when they are at school. Kinda doubt it. If you don't how are you protecting them?

Yea I do take a day off from carrying my wallet. If I am out at camp roaming in the woods, there is a good chance I don't have it on me, but I do have a gun with me then. If you can find an insurance company that sells insurance by the day, you might be able to take a day off, but since that isn't the case you might want to pick a different example.

Do you never go swimming? If so, I assume you put it in a ziplock bag then or do you just put your smart carry, or thunderwear under you trunks? Sorry but when I am in the pool in my back yard, or at a lake or river I don't carry just like I said earlier, there are times when I take a break. Maybe you would suggest that I just not swim with my 6 year old or wife, and tell them that it is just too risky to let my guard down to enjoy time with them in that activity.

Give me a break. Next you will tell me you carry in your shower as well.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Give me a break. Next you will tell me you carry in your shower as well.
    Soap on a Rope=Glock on a Rope?
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Honestly, your choice is yours to make and no one else's. It's disconcerting to find a Senior SheepDog walking amongst the flock without his teeth though....
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I suspect it's a lot like having a day off from work. You have to figure, those of that carry, it's like we're on all the time. For every hour of every day, we're physically and mentally preparing to protect ourselves and our loved ones. So in effect, a day off from carrying is like a day off work. It's like having a burden lifted for a short time.
    Packinnova is the closest I think to what I was going through mentally. But this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Im not sure, but I think TN had an incident.
    If this is so, its something I dont know but another person thats had a shooting can help ya with.
    I know even though my dad was a Nam vet, and has killed before after his shooting he had a few days he just didnt carry. It was something radically differant then combat, not only was his life threatened but my mothers. Not because he couldnt, but because he took a day to think about it, after that he has carried 100%.
    is real close.
    I did have an incident, no shooting but it was a big one. I don't think any legal action will be forthcoming because of it, but at this time I am still not 100% sure of that.

Without going too deeply into it (I have shared the details with a few people on here whom I feel fairly close to) the incident resulted in 2 people unconscious, physical harm to 3 people, and me almost having to kill someone who ended up being bipolar but off their meds and me vary nearly being charged with aggravated assault but, since I had 4 witnesses that confirmed my explanation of the events, no charges for me and my gun was returned to me.

But, after the emotional roller coaster that I rode, I just needed a day off mentally. I took it. I feel 100% better because of it. I am carrying just like before again, I am armed right now in fact, but I NEEDED a break mentally for my sanity.

I don't want anyone to tell me "That's OK" because I really don't care if anyone thinks it was OK to do that or if it was foolish. You weren't there, you did not go through what I went through, I was just sharing an experience that I found interesting in that I did not fully understand why I was feeling the way I felt and thought others might find it interesting as well.

I had to draw on a skell in Jan. of this year, and now this, 2009 is really shaping up to be one big time crappy year so far.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Packinnova is the closest I think to what I was going through mentally. But this quote:

is real close.
    I did have an incident, no shooting but it was a big one. I don't think any legal action will be forthcoming because of it, but at this time I am still not 100% sure of that.

Without going too deeply into it (I have shared the details with a few people on here whom I feel fairly close to) the incident resulted in 2 people unconscious, physical harm to 3 people, and me almost having to kill someone who ended up being bipolar but off their meds and me vary nearly being charged with aggravated assault but, since I had 4 witnesses that confirmed my explanation of the events, no charges for me and my gun was returned to me.

But, after the emotional roller coaster that I rode, I just needed a day off mentally. I took it. I feel 100% better because of it. I am carrying just like before again, I am armed right now in fact, but I NEEDED a break mentally for my sanity.

I don't want anyone to tell me "That's OK" because I really don't care if anyone thinks it was OK to do that or if it was foolish. You weren't there, you did not go through what I went through, I was just sharing an experience that I found interesting in that I did not fully understand why I was feeling the way I felt and thought others might find it interesting as well.

I had to draw on a skell in Jan. of this year, and now this, 2009 is really shaping up to be one big time crappy year so far.
    man, I remember discussing your first incident of this year...and now this, the odds of that I would think would be slim. Sorry things were ruff, but glad you took your needed day off and that it helped. I sincerely hope things stay up and safe for you and those surrounding.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

here is another one that you should try, take a day off from your cell phone. you may like that even better.

EdC

I find that quote interesting, all right. I think that despite all the available information and support, when it comes down it, sometimes decisions surrounding carrying are the carrier's alone. I know I have to be comfortable with the decisions I make, when and when not to carry, etc. maybe folks understand, maybe they won't, but what others think can't really matter in the end. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    I find that quote interesting, all right. I think that despite all the available information and support, when it comes down it, sometimes decisions surrounding carrying are the carrier's alone. I know I have to be comfortable with the decisions I make, when and when not to carry, etc. maybe folks understand, maybe they won't, but what others think can't really matter in the end. Good post.
    +1 In the end it's all up to you and what you feel!
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

Wow, amazed at the hysteria by some. For all those big 2nd amendment supporters, he has just as much right not carry as he does to carry. Concealed carry is a tool, at least in my opinion. It's to better my chances in the case of something bad happening. And frankly, I say congrats my friend. Had one day off in years, I'm sure no one else in here does that with anything else that's important?

I'm sure every member here........
    Never missed medication, Always have tires properly inflated, Always eat healthy food, Never let smoke alarm batteries die down on you, Never forgot to put on a safety belt, etc, etc. These are all things quite important to your livelihood as well, and one small slip up could be disasterous.............

Let's not criticize each other under the guise "being prepared" when it fringes of the border of "being paranoid".
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

TN_Mike, I'm glad everything worked out for you (so far anyway). It just goes to show you no matter how much you prepare the mental aspect will always be different.

Glad you had other tools at your disposal and didn't have to fire. Hang in there, I'm praying for ya' man.

I can't carry at my new job, specifically says no guns even if you have a TX CHL. For the past few days it has been a bit freeing, since I don't have to worry about printing or bumping against someone. It took a few days to get used to it and the concern that I am not as ready for SHTF as before is still there.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links