I didn't carry today at all

This is a discussion on I didn't carry today at all within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; TN Mike, thanks for sharing your experience. I would have thought that the last thing a violent encounter would do is induce someone not to ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I didn't carry today at all

TN Mike, thanks for sharing your experience. I would have thought that the last thing a violent encounter would do is induce someone not to carry, but hey, do whatever you need to do.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    Wow, amazed at the hysteria by some. For all those big 2nd amendment supporters, he has just as much right not carry as he does to carry. Concealed carry is a tool, at least in my opinion. It's to better my chances in the case of something bad happening. And frankly, I say congrats my friend. Had one day off in years, I'm sure no one else in here does that with anything else that's important?

I'm sure every member here........
    Never missed medication, Always have tires properly inflated, Always eat healthy food, Never let smoke alarm batteries die down on you, Never forgot to put on a safety belt, etc, etc. These are all things quite important to your livelihood as well, and one small slip up could be disasterous.............

Let's not criticize each other under the guise "being prepared" when it fringes of the border of "being paranoid".
    I think we all need to view it in this light, this is the defensive carry support group. We're here to post our experiences, ask questions, answer questions, and generally help others.

When one of our own strays from the pack, even for a day, we feel it's our responsibility to guide them back. It's the strength in numbers mentality, if we suspect our numbers are, or might be dwindling, we react.

I've owned and shot handguns for over 30 years. I CC'd a while back but stopped and just recently got back into it because of events last fall. Once in a while I question why I do it, but then I refer to what I've read on here and it mentally strenghtens my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I can't carry at my new job, specifically says no guns even if you have a TX CHL. For the past few days it has been a bit freeing, since I don't have to worry about printing or bumping against someone.
    Paco, the more I think it through, the more I believe that this was what I was feeling.

As most of you know, I open carry most of the time. Never had a problem at all, of any kind. But, I am always on a much higher state of alertness than even your normal everyday concealed carrier. Not carrying and going out to the stop and auto parts store was freeing in a way because while I still had a high level of situational awareness, I was not on high alert because there would be no gun grab or other disarming attempt as I was not armed. It really was freeing in a sense.

But, like I said earlier, I am back to carrying now. Went to the same grocery store and my wife and kids and I went to the Subway for dinner tonight, all while armed with the Glock 23 openly carried. I feel fine.

Don't worry guys, I am not giving up carrying. I just needed a day off.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I thought I was alone in this feeling until I read this thread tonight. I always carry and intend to carry. I don't lightly "take the day off". However, the responsibility does get to be a bit overwhelming at times (e.g. printing, adequate concealment, total responsibility, self preservation, "I'm carrying and I am the ultimate responsible one"). At times it can be overwhelming and a break can definitely be a good thing. If nothing else it makes you much more aware and cautious - try driving tomorrow all day without a seatbelt and you'll see what I mean. It is odd at first but it definitely makes you much more aware of the minutes you are not carrying and the very next time you are carrying. Think I'm exaggerating? You should all try it sometime soon. Guaranteed you will be more aware of the weapon you don't have. The next time you carry your heart rate will be back to normal and blood pressure back down and you will have a deeper awareness and calmness that you haven't had in awhile. Choose your time, then try it out. You'll be amazed at what you willl learn. P.S. I wouldn't recommend doing this on a day you had to make the trip to Wally World or guide a group of tourists through Compton New York.
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I carry most of the time; I just don't feel so insecure in myself to think I need a gun to protect my family.

I know I'm going to PO some people with that statement but it is my right to have an opinion.

I was an LEO in the early 80's and have been in situations with multiple BG's AND have been in a couple fire fights. My LEO partner and I even had contracts placed on our lives because of a MAJOR drug bust.

I've had my brakes and steering sabatoged. I have talked my way out of at least SIX instances where BG's had a gun pointed at my head! NOT including numerous times as a kid with a step dad on bad trips. I've even had someone try to BLOW UP in my car and threaten to blow up my apartment.

BUT! Living in FEAR was NOT an option!

To keep my family safe, I had to move out of state and leave them for a few years.
    BUT! Living my life in FEAR was NOT an option!

The truth is: ALL the negative and terrible things going on around us, along with spending TOO much time in some of these forums can take a toll on our emotions.

When we find ourself letting FEAR control our lives instead of JUST being PREPARED while we live our life, we are sitting ourselves up for trouble and a visit from the boys in blue or men in little white smocks.

IMO; A gun is a tool.
    If one lives a life of such paranoia one feels they MUST carry because they're seeing BG's everywhere they look, I would advise anyone to take a break and get a NEW perspective.

REMEMBER! The BEST weapon ANYONE carries is between their ears. We need to keep "IT" prepared and well tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I carry most of the time; I just don't feel so insecure in myself to think I need a gun to protect my family.

I know I'm going to PO some people with that statement but it is my right to have an opinion.

I was an LEO in the early 80's and have been in situations with multiple BG's AND have been in a couple fire fights. My LEO partner and I even had contracts placed on our lives because of a MAJOR drug bust.

I've had my brakes and steering sabatoged. I have talked my way out of at least SIX instances where BG's had a gun pointed at my head! NOT including numerous times as a kid with a step dad on bad trips. I've even had someone try to BLOW UP in my car and threaten to blow up my apartment.

BUT! Living in FEAR was NOT an option!

To keep my family safe, I had to move out of state and leave them for a few years.
    BUT! Living my life in FEAR was NOT an option!

The truth is: ALL the negative and terrible things going on around us, along with spending TOO much time in some of these forums can take a toll on our emotions.

When we find ourself letting FEAR control our lives instead of JUST being PREPARED while we live our life, we are sitting ourselves up for trouble and a visit from the boys in blue or men in little white smocks.

IMO; A gun is a tool.
    If one lives a life of such paranoia one feels they MUST carry because they're seeing BG's everywhere they look, I would advise anyone to take a break and get a NEW perspective.

REMEMBER! The BEST weapon ANYONE carries is between their ears. We need to keep "IT" prepared and well tuned!
    I am absolutely speechless! However, as others have pointed out, each of us are entitled to our opinions and corresponding actions. I DO say "thank you" for your service as a LEO.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I carry most of the time; I just don't feel so insecure in myself to think I need a gun to protect my family. . .

. . .IMO; A gun is a tool.

I wouldn't put it as "insecurity" on the part of most of us. Well, unless you could call it "insecurity" when some of us are physically inferior to the average criminal. Not trying to be contentious or anything, just making that point. I'm personally not built for physical confrontations (tall and thin, heh) so IF I were to be in a situation I would prefer not to rely on agility alone.

And again, it's not paranoia, at least for most of us. Carrying (or not carrying) a weapon of choice is the same thing, mentally, as wearing a seat belt for many of us. Not that there isn't paranoia in some people, but I think the majority of posters here wouldn't qualify for that description.

You're absolutely correct on the best weapon though. Nobody goes far without his head.

Mike, good to know that you're reasonably well. Obviously it's hard for some of us who have never been in such a situation to understand what you went through, but we do still give you our support.
    Life is about choices. One who chooses to attack without cause has also chosen to accept whatever defensive measures his target has readied. If this includes violence and death, so be it.

G26--->Supertuck

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    For all who choose to criticize...

You are not Mike and Mike is not you. Carrying is a personal choice, and one that should be constantly evaluated. If you are mentally not up to the task that day, then the gun could be more of a liability than an asset. The gun Mike carries every day (or not) is not what makes him safe, it is the constant thinking he does about where he is and what is going on around him.

Truthfully, once you get to the point where you need the gun post event analysis will likely show you made at least one error in judgement concerning your situation. Switch Theory, there are a series of minor events that must happen to lead to any major event.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Sometimes you just get the urge to walk around naked. And TN Mike satisfied that urge. Its a done deal, and he is back in action now. I feel ya buddy! "not while naked though"
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yea, well if I have my Jeep up on the jack or blocks, and am laying on the creeper all day working on the differential or something like that, yea, it is a PITA to have a gun on.

I am on the 6th year of carrying and for the most part, I carry 99% of the time, so you really don't need to try to lecture me on when and where to carry.

Are you with your family 24/7, do you go sit by your wife while she is at work, or your kids all day when they are at school. Kinda doubt it. If you don't how are you protecting them?

Yea I do take a day off from carrying my wallet. If I am out at camp roaming in the woods, there is a good chance I don't have it on me, but I do have a gun with me then. If you can find an insurance company that sells insurance by the day, you might be able to take a day off, but since that isn't the case you might want to pick a different example.

Do you never go swimming? If so, I assume you put it in a ziplock bag then or do you just put your smart carry, or thunderwear under you trunks? Sorry but when I am in the pool in my back yard, or at a lake or river I don't carry just like I said earlier, there are times when I take a break. Maybe you would suggest that I just not swim with my 6 year old or wife, and tell them that it is just too risky to let my guard down to enjoy time with them in that activity.

Give me a break. Next you will tell me you carry in your shower as well.

If you think NOT having your gun on you while swimming is the same thing as "taking a day off" from carrying, well, there really is no point in explaining it to you :)
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Honestly, your choice is yours to make and no one else's. It's disconcerting to find a Senior SheepDog walking amongst the flock without his teeth though....
    +1
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post

Truthfully, once you get to the point where you need the gun post event analysis will likely show you made at least one error in judgement concerning your situation. Switch Theory, there are a series of minor events that must happen to lead to any major event.
    Absolutely not always the case!

Luby's Massacre
    Home Invasions (robbery, rape)
    And of course, minding your own business when some random lunatic decides your going to be his/her next victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    WRONG! There are cases where the victim's actions could have been modified to an extent that the attack would have been averted, but, as has been said, this is not always the case. Random, unpredictable attacks do occur. If you think that your 'judgement' will keep you from having to defend yourself, why do you carry a gun (assuming that you do)?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links