I didn't carry today at all

This is a discussion on I didn't carry today at all within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today, I mowed the grass, went to the Kroger in our small town and the auto parts store, all unarmed. Those of you who have ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I didn't carry today at all

I didn't carry today at all

Today, I mowed the grass, went to the Kroger in our small town and the auto parts store, all unarmed.

Those of you who have spoken to me for a while on here will realize that this is not at all a normal state for me. I am usually always armed, even around the house. But, today I took a day off. And you know what? It felt pretty good. Real good actually.

Now, had I needed to go down in Memphis I for sure would have gunned up but here in our town, that has a zero crime rate other than teens doing a little vandalizing from time to time, I was relatively safe with out a gun on my hip so I felt it would be an acceptable risk.

Now, who can explain to me why it felt good to walk around unarmed for the first time in more years than I can remember?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

You were wearing a tight cut Speedo for chores?...and a gun would have been severly printing?

If not, I'm stumped.

Even if I don't feel like wearing my Kimber, or my Glock, or my KelTec...even in gym shorts, I grab my NAA Mini .22LR.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I dont know, sounds like something has happened I will not talk about. I personally have never felt comfortable since starting CC to not CC. I am constantly wondering "Where's my weapon?" when I am forced not to CC.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

There are three types of people:
    It will never happen to me - the fools.
    It might happen to me - be prepared.
    It is going to happen to me - the paranoid.

I am resolved to "be prepared". Someone taught me that "Guns are like fire extinguishers. You hope you never need one, but when you do you want the biggest fire extinguisher you can pick up. There are certain reasons for not carrying your weapon, but other than legal reasons, I cannot think of one reason that is worth dying over.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Some times you just can't carry, so be comfortable carrying or not.

Now, who can explain to me why it felt good to walk around unarmed for the first time in more years than I can remember?
    You were feeling ?????

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I feel exactly the same; carrying or not.
    It makes absolutely no difference.

Well I have to edit.
    I went to a large tourist attraction in SC and had to leave my gun in the car. I've done this numerous times over the years. However, this was the first time since BHO has been president. I did feel somewhat vunerable and was a little more alert than usual.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    It does not make me feel anxious or even uncomfortable to go to town unarmed in the daylight. I guess I am not paranoid, and do not see a "booger" behind every bush and car. I carry every time I go out at night, which I seldom do except evening church services.

Somehow I have lived a long time with that attitude.

Regards,
    Jerry

Sometimes my job takes me to schools so carrying is not a good idea. Its something I have just gotten used to. Sometimes I just go out for a few minutes, maybe just to hangout at my favorite coffeehouse. I live in an extremely low crime area. Cops in our town have to set up speed traps just to have something to do and even then the traps often don't get very many people. So, often when I am traveling just within the town I sometimes do not carry. Those are probably the only situations where I do not carry.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I can't really explain it guys. I just didn't put the gun on today and I still did what I needed to do.

I'm not saying that I wasn't still very aware of my surroundings and the people. I was. Very aware. But, today I took a little "carry vacation". And nothing bad happened.

But like I said, where I live, nothing bad happens typically. So I wasn't real concerned about going to the store unarmed. Had I gone towards Memphis or into Memphis, I would surely have been armed.

I'm not giving up carrying. I just to a one day break.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    TN-Mike,
    There are very rare occasions that I will run a brief errand or two while unarmed. Like you, I find the freedom enjoyable. But it is sort of like the days I sleep in and don't go to the gym. I enjoy the brief laziness while it lasts, but I feel guilty about it later!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Talking

I'm glad you enjoyed your carry break and nothing bad happened. I guess that's what you expected.

I can't carry at work, pretty much do carry everywhere else. Nothing that would require a pistol has ever happened to me, hope it doesn't, but I feel better with one anyway. I've never really needed the seatbelt in my vehicle either, but I always wear it since I can't expect when it will be needed.

Okay, who are you and how'd you get TN_Mike's password?

you got me stumped on this one...
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I think there is so much to being prepared and mentally aware that goes beyond the gun. Sometimes I carry a knife if I am in a no gun zone. I have some experience with martial arts. I'm not sure I ever feel totally unable to defend myself? But really, it is about knowing your surroundings, being watchful, and responding in the right way if something happens. Too much confidence in the firearm may be a mistake. Maybe you felt good without carrying because you still have a sense of being able to defend yourself?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links