thugs over the weekend - Page 3

thugs over the weekend

This is a discussion on thugs over the weekend within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JohnKelly Surely disparity of force (multiple attackers) makes it justifiable? I may be wrong(some states may be different), but brandishing is different ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: thugs over the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Surely disparity of force (multiple attackers) makes it justifiable?
    I may be wrong(some states may be different), but brandishing is different than DEADLY FORCE. If you started shooting, even if all of the thugs threatened you, then you'd be in trouble. But brandishing and warning them to stay back should be adequate IMO.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Great Prep, Great Awareness and most importantly great job using that little voice inside of you that told you to turn around. Most of us ignore a good whisper in the ear

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I may be wrong(some states may be different), but brandishing is different than DEADLY FORCE. If you started shooting, even if all of the thugs threatened you, then you'd be in trouble. But brandishing and warning them to stay back should be adequate IMO.
    Brandishing in FL is not legal if I understand it correctly. If you draw it use it!
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

VIP Member

Low key and more

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    After reading the entire thread, I am not sure what to say about this.

mrconceal, I do not know you so I am not going to comment on you personally. But I will tell you, if you conduct yourself in such a manner that it attracts trouble makers, then you may want to consider modifying your behavior as attracting trouble is not a good idea when you are armed. Trust me, I found this out the hard way not long ago and I am still kicking myself for it and the actions it required me to take.

Low key brother, low key. Remember that.
    Low key brother, and more. Ignore petty petty insults. Most of the time the people who made them didn't mean it or didn't realize what they were saying.

Let go of grudges.

I'm still confused about this Oromo guy and what that is. Ethiopian?

Well, you all live here now. We don't always all get along perfectly, but in the history of the US we have usually managed to let the grudges of "the old country" be forgotten.

Stay cool and move on. Stay safe, and stay out of trouble.

Again, if I were you I would put that gun in a safe. I read the private message you sent, thank you, it was a good nice message. But since you wrote that you only carried a few times since getting your license, maybe you really don't have enough of a need to continue doing so---

We used to have a popular song here back in the 1960s.
    It was a ballad about a young cowboy getting ready to go into town. His momma pleaded with him, "don't take your guns to town son, leave your guns at home son, don't take your guns to town." At the end of the ballad, the cowboy was dead.

Son, leave your gun at home.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This is something I hope will be changed someday. I have never understood why someone should be forced to fight just because someone else wants them to. If a person who seems to be my equal in size and is unarmed wants to fight me why can I only use equal force? I don't want to fight!

When it comes to sex if one party says no its rape if you proceed. In many states you can use deadly force to prevent it. This should be the same. If you want to hurt me and I don't want you to I should be able to use what ever means available to stop you. Why do I have to take a beating?

Michael
    Hey man, you dont have to take a beating. In the great state of OK, there is the stand your ground law.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    Hey man, you dont have to take a beating. In the great state of OK, there is the stand your ground law.
    I was refering to the OP's State. I am very happy with the progress we are making in Okla, next step open carry.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Protect_All View Post
    Brandishing in FL is not legal if I understand it correctly. If you draw it use it!
    In Okla showing a weapon to prevent a crime is ok. Brandishing is something totally different. What is the deffinition of brandishing in your state?

Michael

VIP Member

Oromo

Quote Originally Posted by mnconceal View Post
    TN Mike,

Mnconceal wrote:

Btw, there were other people who were aware of the Oromo guy and I had to file a police report because when I was inside my friends house, he asked me "Let's take out the garbage." I think the police may have charged him with Terroristic threats because there were witnesses when he gave me a direct death threat word for word they heard it and I never returned to that house and moved to a different part of town.
    There is quite a lengthy and interesting writeup about the Oromo Liberation Front in Wikipedia. Apparently our government considers it a terrorist organization.

Not sure what it has to do with Somalians like Mnconceal, or why he would have contact with any of their people, but it isn't totally inconceivable that the ethnic and regional hatreds of NE Africa were transplanted into a neighborhood in Minneapolis through immigration.

What I can not tell is if Mnconceal has faced a real threat or if his fears from the old country are still with him and being voiced here, but aren't quite as real as he thinks.

Also, can't tell from this distance if the person who allegedly threatened to kill Mnconceal was merely an ethnic Oromo, and the incident merely unfortunate, or if there is something broader going on in his neighborhood. E.g., systematic thuggery by a group of Oromo.

Either way, to Mnconceal. Stay cool. Stay away from trouble. Let stuff slide where ever possible, let the police and FBI do their thing if necessary.

Good luck.

I didn't carry more than 1 clip with me because I was jogging and had sweatpants which make the metal irritate me plus a guy who legally sold the gun to me before told me if I ever have to shoot more than 6 rounds I am in trouble.
    I can understand not wanting to carry it because it bothers you, but the logic behind the 6 rounds youre in trouble? That may be, but I'd rather have another magazine to load up and keep trying to defend myself. I'm not sure what the guy was thinking when he told you that, but it doesnt make very much sense.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

You should have shown them the muzzle, not the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There is quite a lengthy and interesting writeup about the Oromo Liberation Front in Wikipedia. Apparently our government considers it a terrorist organization.

Not sure what it has to do with Somalians like Mnconceal, or why he would have contact with any of their people, but it isn't totally inconceivable that the ethnic and regional hatreds of NE Africa were transplanted into a neighborhood in Minneapolis through immigration.

What I can not tell is if Mnconceal has faced a real threat or if his fears from the old country are still with him and being voiced here, but aren't quite as real as he thinks.

Also, can't tell from this distance if the person who allegedly threatened to kill Mnconceal was merely an ethnic Oromo, and the incident merely unfortunate, or if there is something broader going on in his neighborhood. E.g., systematic thuggery by a group of Oromo.

Either way, to Mnconceal. Stay cool. Stay away from trouble. Let stuff slide where ever possible, let the police and FBI do their thing if necessary.

Good luck.

It appears that at a quick glance Oromo is: 1) A language spoken in Ethiopia and Kenya; 2) an ethic group (32%) in Ethiopia; 3) a political movement (OFDM/OLF) in Ethiopia and 4) a region in southern Somalia.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/et.html

Oromo language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member

OLF

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    It appears that at a quick glance Oromo is: 1) A language spoken in Ethiopia and Kenya; 2) an ethic group (32%) in Ethiopia; 3) a political movement (OFDM/OLF) in Ethiopia and 4) a region in southern Somalia.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/et.html

Oromo language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yup, all of those. Mnconceal claimed his life was threatened by an Oromo man. That could mean anything from a personal issue between a couple of guys to organized stuff going on in his neighborhood. It could also be a "excessive" worry at work.

In any case, I'm glad I looked into what an "Oromo" man was. I had no clue.

As for MNconceal, laid back, cool, non-aggressive, and some willingness to let "slights" go on by, will help.

Interesting post. Interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    You should have shown them the muzzle, not the grip.
    Problem was it was a
    Kel-Tek P3AT. If they saw the muzzle it might not of scared them.

Regarding Disparity of force and Knife. I was far enough away from the guys to be safe from any knives. Because knives can't be thrown as fast as a bullet and if those guys approached me with any knife they would run away from my Gun because like the saying goes "Never bring a knife to a gun fight."
    You might want to rethink about that. DO NOT underestimate someone with a knife. Or his ability to Kill you while you are holding , and even firing your gun.

I could be wrong but here in Florida you have the right to defend yourself, if you believe you are in fear of great bodily harm or death. A group of scum justifies that. Defend yourself and let the jury decide.

Using a gun to defend myself is a Problem switcher, Not a Problem solver.

1943 - 2009
    I could be wrong but here in Florida you have the right to defend yourself, if you believe you are in fear of great bodily harm or death.
    If you could be wrong, then don't post. Don't guess or speculate. If this is Florida law, then say so. Saying you could be wrong means you are unsure of the law. You must be sure.

It's your responsibility to know your State's laws.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links