license approval, but no card yet. Can I carry?

This is a discussion on license approval, but no card yet. Can I carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm from Kansas and was wondering if anyone knows whether I can legally carry if I have the approval letter from my Attorney General but ...

Thread: license approval, but no card yet. Can I carry?

license approval, but no card yet. Can I carry?

I'm from Kansas and was wondering if anyone knows whether I can legally carry if I have the approval letter from my Attorney General but do not yet have my actual ID form of the license? I know a police officer can look it up very easily but I don't want to get caught up in a technicality. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

When I went to turn in my paperwork, the Sheriff's deputy told me it wasn't legal until you actually receive the temporary slip from the DMV. I never really checked to see if it this is the case, but assume the deputy knows the details.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Don't rely on them to prove you have a license, wait until you have the proof in your hands. That way if something happens you're perfectly legitimate.

VIP Member
    I don't know how Kansas law is worded, but most states require you to have your permit in your possession any time you are carrying.

I also live in Kansas. As far as I understand, you are legally required, and MUST have your physical license on your person as long as you're carrying your firearm. Say you receive your license and leave it at home, you are legally required to disarm. You cannot carry without a physical license. The letter from KSAG does not count.

"The first thing you have to do is disarm the people. A disarmed public can't fight back" -- Adolf Hitler

open carry until you get the cc in your hand why take a chance on being disarmed?

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Kansas
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Definitely don't carry until you get the license. No reason to risk jail. Not only would that be bad, but you would moat likely lose your license.

As a matter of practicality I would NOT carry until you receive your CC permit. Here in NV the law is that if you are carrying your firearm concealed you are required to have your permit, identification whenever your are carrying. I wouldn't rely on the "understanding" of a LEO for not having the proper documentation when you CC.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I believe you must have your permit on your person. Now you do have a permit, and it might only be a fine or a little worse, but why gamble?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ksuwildcat View Post
    I'm from Kansas and was wondering if anyone knows whether I can legally carry if I have the approval letter from my Attorney General but do not yet have my actual ID form of the license? I know a police officer can look it up very easily but I don't want to get caught up in a technicality. Thanks!
    Once you go to the Kansas DMV, have your photo taken, and pay the final fee, they issue you a temporary permit until the official one arrives (approx. 2 wks). It is perfectly legal to carry with the temp. permit. If you doubt it, call the DMV and/or sheriff's office to confirm.

You can also post your question here:

KSCCW.com Forum - Powered by vBulletin

I'm sure there's someone on the forum in an official capacity that could answer the question.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

To legally carry concealed in Kansas you must physically have the CHL.

Take the letter from the AG to a DMV office [closed statewide on Mondays] where you pay $15 and have a photo taken. You will receive a thermo print copy which is your license to carry until the laminated license arrives from the DVM in 7 to 10 days.

The CHL will be a card separate from your DL or KS ID card but it will have the same number. The CHL will expire 4-years from the date of the visit to the DMV. You must notify the AG of a change of address within 10-days.

Your KS DL is valid for 6-years and expires upon your birthday. You are to notify the DMV and apply for a new DL within 30-days of a change of address.

Yes, open carry is legal in Kansas except in Topeka, Wichita, Lawrence, and the KS metro area - Overland Park.

As strange as it may seem, these open carry restrictions do not apply to those who have a CHL. With a CHL, you may open carry in Wichita, Topeka and OP - not advised but legal.

You jumped through a lot of hoops and paid a lot of money so just follow the few rules and yes, join the KSCCW forum.

Teusday will be the first day you can carry with your Temp from the DMV.

In Texas you have to have possession of the permit or no go,also after issue you must carry permit at all times you are armed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

KSCarry is correct. Once you finish the process at the DMV and walk out with the temporary slip, then and only then may you begin to legally carry concealed.

Links