Wife and I were talking. Her biggest fear is someone taking my gun and using it on us

This is a discussion on Wife and I were talking. Her biggest fear is someone taking my gun and using it on us within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey the best solution for close combat is Krav Maga. It is a form of self dense techniques invented by the Israeli Defense Forces and ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wife and I were talking. Her biggest fear is someone taking my gun and using it on us

Hey the best solution for close combat is Krav Maga. It is a form of self dense techniques invented by the Israeli Defense Forces and is now used by some of the police departments and special operations units.
    There are classes around the country, but not many. I joined one in Mercer Island and I feel more confident walking the streets. Its not as complicated as Karate or Kung Fu, its basic common sense and awareness. It teaches you how to quickly adapt to a situation, keep calm and how to use your environment to protect you.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    On the matter of shotguns and the OP's topic of retention, we're probably talking home defense. The best home defense position for most of us is behind cover behind a barricade with a shotgun. But those with family members in other rooms have to clear the way to them. The technique is to hold the shotgun at the hip and drawn backward as far as still able to pull the trigger. The point is by keeping the shotgun square with the hip - it shoots where you look. Comments welcome.
    To the OP, watch a short video by DC's moderator limatunes (see at time of 1:55) demonstrating a possible response to a problem of retention.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

1st post.

But it sounds to me like this sounds like your wife has given you a good excuse to go get some training from gunsite/TR.

Quote Originally Posted by RSViper View Post
    I was explaining that the chances are slim that this would happen and it's more likely that a gun will prevent a crime or attack vs causing one. She said that's her biggest concern and in fact feels somewhat less safe when I'm carrying because of this.

Are there any statistics out there that compare successful use of a carry gun in self defense vs someone getting the person's weapon and using it on them or others?

What could I say to put her mind at ease about this, which is something I've thought about myself.
    "Assumption is the mother of all f**k ups!" Your wife has a valid concern. It's quite possible to lose your handgun in a confrontation. To say that it probably won't happen is not accurate. If you say, you will think it and you will not be prepared. They don't teach retention techniques for nothing.

I would take a class on tactical handgun defense. That would make her more comfortable. Simply saying it won't work. Guys always tell their significant others that things will be okay and they end up differently. Otherwise, they wouldn't bring it up.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    My Brother has same problem with his wife. She says - what if one of them sleep walks and shoots the other as well as other way off thoughts about it.
    For God, Family and Country!

Tell her as long as you guys carry concealed and in a holster of quality as regular citizens you have an advantage. The biggest problem with a bad guy taking your gun is when it's a weapon of opprotunity like when one carries in plain view open such as Police Officers do. I know unfortunately too many guys I work with that people tried and take their duty weapons in a struggle and they did the right thing and shot them before they succeeded. And as far as not caring at all thats just out of the question. That would make you a sheep awaiting a slaughter. better to have it and not need it and only you know it's there then to need it and not have it.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links