Wife and I were talking. Her biggest fear is someone taking my gun and using it on us

Wife and I were talking. Her biggest fear is someone taking my gun and using it on us

This is a discussion on Wife and I were talking. Her biggest fear is someone taking my gun and using it on us within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was explaining that the chances are slim that this would happen and it's more likely that a gun will prevent a crime or attack ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wife and I were talking. Her biggest fear is someone taking my gun and using it on us

I was explaining that the chances are slim that this would happen and it's more likely that a gun will prevent a crime or attack vs causing one. She said that's her biggest concern and in fact feels somewhat less safe when I'm carrying because of this.

Are there any statistics out there that compare successful use of a carry gun in self defense vs someone getting the person's weapon and using it on them or others?

What could I say to put her mind at ease about this, which is something I've thought about myself.

I doubt you'll find a statistic that isn't cooked up by someone with an agenda.

Every once in awhile I'll be asked about that, and my response has always been: Why is your gun more dangerous than the bad-guys?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Just from my experience I can say that I don't know that I have ever heard of someone having their gun taken away from them and unsed against them by an originally unarmed bad guy.

I am sure it has happened, but it must be so infrequent that it isn't even being reported on. And I would in TV news, we actually see and hear way more crap than we actually put out. And believe me, with the way the main stream media is anti gun and anti citizen carry, if there were good guys being disarmed and shot with their own guns, they would be all over it and smiling like the idiots they are about it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think I would tell her that I would rather be in the position of having a gun in my hand than trying to take one away from someone else. If your life is being threatened with someone who does not have a gun you have an advantage. If he already has a gun, then at least you give yourself a chance by having a gun on you. If he has a gun and you do not, then your are totally at his mercy.

On the other hand, if you were to carry openly, someone could sneak up on you, take your gun by surprise, and use it on you. I doubt that is your situation, but the right holster could help to prevent that scenario.

Is it possible that your wife just isn't comfortable with firearms in general? Have her take a basic handgun class or a concealed carry class, if that is the case.

Tell her you better get rid of allthe sharp knives,hammers,bats,chainsaws etc. in the house because somebody could use them against you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RSViper View Post
    What could I say to put her mind at ease about this, which is something I've thought about myself.
    Get her out to the shooting range so that she feels comfortable with guns.
    Try to talk her into getting her concealed carry license.
    When you're out together, you'll both be carrying.
    If ever anybody tries to take your gun from you, she can 'politely and forcefully' let him know it was the wrong thing to do.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

A few months ago here in Charlotte a bad guy with a gun had it taken by the homeowner he broke in on and the homeowner shot the bad guy.

I'd rather start out a bad situation armed than just be unarmed and let the bad guys have the advantage by default.

And I can't remember where I saw this but I love it:

"If someone kills you with your own gun, they better have beat you to death with it, because by that time it should be empty."

That is my plan if it should ever come about.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Does she think that you won't use it and end up getting it taken away, or maybe she wouldn't use it...is she worried that someone would call her bluff ?

I found that a lot of people truly have lost their ability to discern unprovoked violence, from justified self defense.

The idea promoted by the anti gun people is that "good" people are incapable of fighting aggression, and if they are, they must be "just as bad" as criminals.

I have an ex-wife, and several former friends who never seemed to get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorw View Post
    On the other hand, if you were to carry openly, someone could sneak up on you, take your gun by surprise, and use it on you. I doubt that is your situation, but the right holster could help to prevent that scenario.
    About as rare as someone having their gun taken from them...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sure, stuff can happen, that's why you learn, practice, and train...even if just a little bit. You just don't buy a gun and put it in the safe. Like any other tool, you learn how to use it.

Take a self-defense pistol course...you can learn how to keep from having your gun taken away while still being able to ventilate the BG.

Stay armed...a course can help a lot...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 27th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Concealed means concealed, done right the BG won't even know you have a gun until he's staring down the barrel.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by RSViper View Post
    I was explaining that the chances are slim that this would happen and it's more likely that a gun will prevent a crime or attack vs causing one. She said that's her biggest concern and in fact feels somewhat less safe when I'm carrying because of this.

Are there any statistics out there that compare successful use of a carry gun in self defense vs someone getting the person's weapon and using it on them or others?

The fact is, this is her (your wifes) imaginary BG
    Ask your wife this question

What does she think the same BG is going to do if you
    don't have a gun?
    Does she think he will just leave you alone?

You don't have to answer your own question, just let her mind
    do the rest.

The answer is no he will not!

Then ask her, what IS he going to do ?

And again let her think about it , in fact just walk away
    and leave her alone with her imaginary BG for a
    few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post

I'd rather start out a bad situation armed than just be unarmed and let the bad guys have the advantage by default.
    Purpledragon has hit the nail on the head.Start out in a bad
    situation with the advantage of surprise.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Concealed means concealed, done right the BG won't even know you have a gun until he's staring down the barrel.
    +1 I couldn't agree more! Ask your wife if she can tell if you're carrying. WHEN she says no, then ask her why she thinks a BG will know.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Almost all "taken away" incidents involve cops, usually while trying to subdue someone using less than lethal force.

I've taken to saying to people who have this irrational fear, "Well, if it's that easy for him to take it from me, I'll just take it right back. We'll just stand there swapping the gun back and forth..."

If somebody tries to take my gun, they're probably going to get shot with it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links