CCW in California how tough is it?

This is a discussion on CCW in California how tough is it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi I have a question for our California members here about concealed carry permits there,and thats how difficult are they to obtain? I know from ...

Thread: CCW in California how tough is it?

CCW in California how tough is it?

Hi I have a question for our California members here about concealed carry permits there,and thats how difficult are they to obtain? I know from what I've heard that in the big cities like L.A. they are about impossible for ordinary citizens to get. But I've heard that once you get away from the big cities its not to bad and if your record is clean you won't have any issues is this true?

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    California is a "may issue" State. Permits are issued solely at the discretion of individual County Sheriffs.

Use the function. You'll find your answers, including this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...can-party.html

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

It would really help knowing which COUNTY will be your place of residence. The county sheriff is typically the issuing agency. Also, be aware that with Nordyke applying Heller / 2A to CA (and the 9th Circuit's states), CCW in CA is an immediate legal target. We've been waiting to line up the ducks into a row and that has happened now. CA will likely go down Ohio's path, with the courts telling the legislature that the laws they passed are not constitutional and making CA wide-open. The legislators will respond with shall issue CCW. Too bad the lawmakers can't figure this out, or maybe just don't want to admit it.

rivers I'm not moving there just wondering why I've read a lot of these types of forums that ccw in CA. is a no go. I do have a cousin in San bernardino and she said her boyfriend who has a clean background got his carry permit fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    rivers I'm not moving there just wondering why I've read a lot of these types of forums that ccw in CA. is a no go. I do have a cousin in San bernardino and she said her boyfriend who has a clean background got his carry permit fairly easily.
    Sorry, misunderstood. What you have read is both accurate and FUD, depending upon the county that the writer overgeneralized as being the whole of CA. The lack of uniform standards is a major issue here, but something that certain CLEO hold dear for its political power and leverage. Since permits are good statewide, it's a weird situation. Traveling into "hostile" territory (San Francisco might fit that description...) with a valid permit may see the carrier being held at gunpoint, as in a felony stop, until the permit status is verified, etc. Of course, that is seriously stretching the legal limits that LEO must abide by, but that doesn't stop some LEO. Other counties, like San Bernadino, LEO often treats interaction with a CCW carrier similarly to NV, AZ, UT, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by snakatack View Post
    Using that map and population figures from wikipedia it looks like 30 million of an estimated 37 million Californians are unlikely to be able to get a permit. Not good.

In my neck of the state, hiking alone was all the good cause I needed for my Sheriff to issue CCW. The process was short and couldn't have been much easier.

Life is good in the red counties. Life would suck living in the blue ones. Across the board, CCW. issue in California seems to depend on if you have Democrat control of the local political machine or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Hi I have a question for our California members here about concealed carry permits there,and thats how difficult are they to obtain?
    Yes, it's impossible in some counties.

Yes, it's a cake walk in other counties.

Depends on the county.

I carried for 10yrs in a rural, out-of-the-way county. The Sheriff couldn't give them away fast enough. He saw the benefits to everyone, if thousands more upstanding citizens carried. Trouble is, even decades later, there aren't even two thousand people in that whole county who have bothered to go after their CHL. Partly, I'm sure, because CA has a solid reputation for attempting to staple your noogies to your forehead if you dare defend yourself, merely because you're the one found standing.

Still, the truth remains: it's plenty easy in certain counties.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not scientific, but generally the farther north you go from Southern California, the more likely it is to obtain a CCW. Excluding metropolitan type populated areas. My Local Sherriff is as close to "Shall Issue" as it gets in CA.

California is going through a budget crisis, so the background clearance is taking a minimum of 3 months. Worker furloughs, minimal staff, etc.

I have had employment applicants average 90 days before receiving clearance to work. Imagine applying for a job and waiting 3 months to find out if you have clearance to work there or not.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    It would really help knowing which COUNTY will be your place of residence. The county sheriff is typically the issuing agency. Also, be aware that with Nordyke applying Heller / 2A to CA (and the 9th Circuit's states), CCW in CA is an immediate legal target. We've been waiting to line up the ducks into a row and that has happened now. CA will likely go down Ohio's path, with the courts telling the legislature that the laws they passed are not constitutional and making CA wide-open. The legislators will respond with shall issue CCW. Too bad the lawmakers can't figure this out, or maybe just don't want to admit it.
    Sorry to hijack, but wouldn't the large cities in CA balk like crazy at shall issue? Are you all trying to go for statewide pre-emption?
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Can you only apply for the permit from YOUR county's sheriff or can you travel to another county to apply??

Isn't CCW a Concealed Carry Weapon?
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but wouldn't the large cities in CA balk like crazy at shall issue? Are you all trying to go for statewide pre-emption?
    The large city CLEO and the union admin are the roadblock to passing AB357, the shall issue amendment to the current law. Permits are issued by the sheriff in your county of residence only, and are valid statewide. Realistically, CA will get shall issue CCW through the courts, not our Dem-dominated legislature. Not all D's are anti 2A but most are.

Links