Messed up clothing

This is a discussion on Messed up clothing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a G23 in a K&D Dakota Defender at the 3-4 o'clock position with an FBI cant. I find this rig to be extremely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Messed up clothing

Messed up clothing

I carry a G23 in a K&D Dakota Defender at the 3-4 o'clock position with an FBI cant. I find this rig to be extremely comfortable and hardly notice that it is there. That being said, I do have a problem with my shirts getting ruined where the butt of the gun rubs against the back of a chair. I have messed up at least a dozen shirts in the year that I have been carrying. The gun tends to polish the fabric of the shirt and leaves "shiny" spots all over the place. These spots kind of draw attention to the location of my weapon, which is obviously not a good thing. I have tried adjusting the position of where I carry my gun from 3-6 o'clock as well as the cant and still have the same problem.

My question is: Does anyone else experience this problem? What do you do or can you do to correct this?

To the moderators: I apologize if this is not the correct section to pose this type of question.

2. Remove Ads

Are you wiping down the outside of your gun with oil and/or silicone and that is getting worked into the shirt by the gun?

I've never had this problem - I carry an XD45 IWB. I wear mostly polo and dress shirts.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

If I'm right on what your problem is bobbing the frame might work. My 1911's grip pokes my car seat as well as shows a sharp edge under my shirt.

I would like to have this done to mine.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...tion/cbob3.jpg

Note the material removed from the frame.

Michael

Once in a blue moon I will wipe my gun down with a silicon cloth, and I always wipe down any excessive residue that is left. So, I don't believe that this is the source of the problem.

I have this problem with my P229. I wear spots on my shirt, especially at the hammer..........
    Weapons list suppressed...........

Lead Moderator
    Perhaps the type of material in your shirts? Those polyester pants/ suits tend to wear a bit shiny after a while J/K. but check out the label on the tag. If it has polyester , rayon or other synthetic blend it may be lending to the shiny look
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would think that if the butt of your gun is rubbing your shirt enough to wear it like that, then you are also printing much of the time.

If I were you I would look at a different holster, or a different gun, or moving where I carry so that I don't print like that (or wear out my clothing).

For myself, I carry at about 2:30. This works much better for me then having the gun further back.

Good luck.

Ken

I'm a big guy - 6'3" and 250 lbs, and I carry at the 2:30 position as well. Anything further back, even with an aggressive fwd cant and I find that I print. 2:30 and my 1911 disappears.

VIP Member
    I've carried for years and never encountered the problem you describe. I carry at about 4:00 position with 10-15 degree cant.

My "love grips" make the gun poke out too much in that position. I've found that the best place, and most conceal-able place, for me is at about 2:30 with a good cant. The gun disappears for me. Sig 229.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I have never noticed such a problem, and since I have been carrying against the kidney (at about 5:00-5:30), still no marks and the comfort has greatly increased.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My PT145 rear sights will tear little holes in my T shirt if I use it for cover. And yes it does print a bit. That's for when I'm not in super secret mode. Since I OC a lot int he summer, it doesn't much matter to me, but it works as sheep camo just fine.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I never have a problem with printing with normal range of motion. My wife has never told me "Hey I can see your gun." Nor has anyone else ever questioned a "lump" on my side. My gun just tends to rub the back of a car seat or chair when I sit down, thus creating these little white spots on the back of my shirts where the fabric gets polished. As far as the material is concerned, I have the same problem whether it is 100% cotton , a cotton blend, or a poly/rayon blend. T-shirt, dress shirt, whatever, I have ruined all kinds. I guess the solution would be to not holster my weapon while I am in the car.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    The only thing similar to that which I have encountered is with a silk Hawaiian shirt that the butt of my G26 wore a hole in. Never have seen this happen before, I have to think the shirt had thin weak material. Yes, I'm sure some printing goes on, but it isn't enough to be able to tell it isn't a cell phone or something -- and in my experience, people just don't notice much of anything anyhow. Since I carry legally, I don't worry about it.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Can you buff down the part of the gun that is rubbing so it will not wear as fast?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links