Flippant? - Page 2

Flippant?

This is a discussion on Flippant? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by P95Carry No one has said KC that a person is being actually and totally deprived of all right to self defence - ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flippant?

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    No one has said KC that a person is being actually and totally deprived of all right to self defence - it is just that not everyone is gonna win a one sided gun battle - however good they are. One's defensive abilities do increase most usefully if armed, when against a BG's gun.
    P95, please note: PERSONAL DECISION.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns

It must be hard to believe for a big city slicker...
    Yes, Sir! 10,00 in this here "city".

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Sorry, can't agree. You still have the ability, and if you have the desire, you will defend yourself. The right of self defense is a natural right.

You have to make the decision to exercise this natural right.

I will do my best to do everything in a lawful manner, but my first responsibility is to me and mine.

Just my opinion.

========================================

KC,

I understand what you are saying, I don’t believe that anyone here will just lay down and die if confronted by a BG because we don't have a gun to protect ourselves. But what chance does a 110 lbs woman with no real self defense training have against one or more 200+ lbs BG's with knives or guns or just bare hands.

I don't like to use cliché’s much, But I think this one fits the discussion.

God created Man, Sam Colt made them equal.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

KC135,

I do understand what you are saying, and to a degree, I agree with you.

But the reality is, society can deny what is called a "God-given right."

When God says "Yes" and society says "No," you will have to live with society's judgement of your actions, in the here-and-now.

Your vindication will come in the next life perhaps, but while you're still living in this world, you will suffer the consequences of violating the laws of Man.

Maybe it isn't right, but it is so.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

It may not hold up legally but around here the Sheriff is an elected official. Perhpas documentation such as that and or a statistic about refused CCW would be beneficial to the opponent.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

VIP Member
    Chris, although I do not believe that your having the Sheriff sign a document stating that he is responsible for your well being would fly, documentation of his refusal and use of another of our constitutionally guaranteed rights might create a big enough noise to get something done. The first amendment of our Constitution is often mentioned in regards to speech, religion, press, and assembly, but there is another guarantee in it. The first amendment states that Congress shall pass no laws respecting the right of the people "to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

One could petition the governor or the attorney general of one's state for the redress of the grievance of having been refused a legitimate request for a concealed carry permit. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but how would you as sheriff of a county like the state attorney general's minions going through your files, watching your every move and recording your converstions? Also how would you like it when they come in and say that they are going to be doing this in an effort to gather evidence with which to charge you? You ain't gonna like it at all, but there will be nothing you can do about it. Of course, there is the possibility that the attorney general will just chuckle and not help. That is where the freedom of speech and press enter the picture. If you make enough noise the press wil hear it and start to ask questions. No elected official wants the press asking questions that when answered tend to make that official look like a fool. There are numbers of ways to bring pressure to bear.

Sometimes you just have to scream.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Thx dr - well again I stress my thinking is somewhat flippant (or should that be ''pie-in-sky'' !?) - but I feel strongly for folks in some of CA, MD, IL, NY, NJ - good many states which trample (IMO) all over the 2A. This was why I came up with this wishful thinking.!

I wish issuance of a CCW was entirely based on an authority's need to find an applicant unworthy - as against the applicant having to him/herself try and prove their eligibility.

Of course all I have just stated is the ''shall issue'' state's approach but I sure as heck wish it was that for all 50. No law abiding person of sound mind and character should ever have to fight for the right to defend themselves.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    to protect: themselves
    to serve: their immediate supervisor

No offense, please, but reality involves the politics of their situation. Most street level officers know we aren't the ones that are going to hurt them. The higher the LEO rises, the more politically bound he finds himself. Since the fish rots from the head down, and the head is motivated politically, applying political pressure is the most effective way to succeed. Attend caucuses, write letters to the editor, persuade journalists to "uncover" injustices, petition for redress of grievance with higher authority, and (here it is...pie-in-the-sky) the courts may interpret oath of duty as a duty to protect...

I have the utmost respect and admiration for the courageous service by our LEO's in the face of an indifferent society and a revolving door justice system.

rant over and out
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links