Pulled over in Covington, KY today

This is a discussion on Pulled over in Covington, KY today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got pulled over today, clocked 68 in a 55 coming back from the range (first time I've been pulled over in more than 9 years, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over in Covington, KY today

Got pulled over today, clocked 68 in a 55 coming back from the range (first time I've been pulled over in more than 9 years, and consider 5mph over the limit speeding).

I interrupted the officer's greeting and Informed the officer (even though I didn't have to in KY), location of the carry pistol, explained license is in the left hip pocket, trunk has an AR, shotgun, and a .22LR pistol in it, and asked if there were any specific instructions that he would like me to follow, hands on the steering wheel the whole time. I was politely asked to remove my wallet with my left hand and hand over my driver's license and CHL, and to place the loaded pistol on the passenger seat and step a bit off the road. I was then informed that if they both are returned as valid then I just need to keep a better eye on the speedometer.

No problems at all - and I honestly didn't want to sit in the car either. I walked about 30 feet away from the road and the officer handed me back both licenses, and thanked me for informing him. We shook hands, he asked what kind of Kahr and AR15 I had, we talked a little, and he was kind enough to block the right lane long enough for me to get up to speed.

All in all, an A+ job by the officer.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

VIP Member
    Good encounter!!

Well handled by both parties!!

Hope my first encounter goes as well.

The only thing I would question would be why would he ask you to take the pistol out yourself. If I were the officer involved, for officer safety I'd want to be the one handling the firearm.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Good encounter!!

Well handled by both parties!!

Hope my first encounter goes as well.

The only thing I would question would be why would he ask you to take the pistol out yourself. If I were the officer involved, for officer safety I'd want to be the one handling the firearm.
    I explained that the firearm does not have an external safety and I do not want to take a .40S&W to my hip.
    ~Mike F.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I explained that the firearm does not have an external safety and I do not want to take a .40S&W to my hip.
    Huh?
    You lost me...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can't control the officer's finger, and would like to avoid the possibility of the trigger being pulled as it is being drawn from my holster - sending a .40S&W into my hip joint in the process.
    ~Mike F.

VIP Member
    Good Job on both parts. He is the Cop I want to meet when I screw up.

KY cops are all are pretty aware of how many people carry. From what we were told during our classes cops in this state will react rather favorably if you are polite and inform them of your carry status. It should go all very businesslike.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I live in eastern KY and have been through a few traffic stops and road checks. I always have my license and CCW (plus insurance card) out when the office gets to the window, both hand on the wheel. Most time the officer just looks them overs and hands them back. Most of the State Troops are really good toward CCW holders, unfortunately some city and county are not.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Personally, as the LEO in that situation, I'd want to keep my distance, for officer safety. Getting in close like that, to remove a weapon from someone else's holster would be *very* uncomfortable.

In my case, I have to handle a traffic stop a little differently. I drive a pickup truck with a camper cap. The windows on the camper cap are tinted somewhat dark. You cannot see through them at all.

When I pull over I lower my driver side window and put both hands outside in plain sight. At this point I wait for the officer's instructions.

The last thing I want to do is to make an officer pulling me over nervous & concerned for his safety.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Talking

Pikachu, while I admire your willingness to promote a positive interchange between you and an officer, you may want to rethink the hands out the window part. First thing many LEO's think when you put your hands out the window during a stop is "AH, we have a frequent flyer here. He bears a closer look." Trust me, when the officer throws that wall of light up when he pulls you over, he can see fairly well what your doing in the vehicle. Though a camper with dark windows does arouse suspicion, as does any vehicle with dark windows. Just my 2 cents worth. Feel free to give a nickels worth back if you want.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Being cordial, polite and considerate (even if you don't have to be) is always a good M.O.

Good job!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Covington cops have seen plenty of action and I'm sure a CCW permit holder is routine. They have much bigger problems to worry about. Covington has been on the show COPS at least twice and on the local Tri-State news almost nightly. I've never had a bad experience with the cops there.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Administrator
    Being an LEO in the immediate are of this story, I gotta say its a pretty darn typical traffic stop, no matter what side of the river.

Also, as far as traffic stops go in general, there is no need to make rockeet science out of a rather simple exchange. Just use common sense and everything will be fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd take Covington over Cincinnati every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links