my CPL saved me from a ticket!... - Page 2

my CPL saved me from a ticket!...

This is a discussion on my CPL saved me from a ticket!... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tns0038 ........... I suspect that’s the reason they put you in cuffs. Citizens who are upset and outraged do things they normally ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my CPL saved me from a ticket!...

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    ........... I suspect that’s the reason they put you in cuffs.
    Citizens who are upset and outraged do things they normally would not do, and knowing your armed, the officers took precautions to insure you were give a chance to “cool off” before you did something you might regret.
    +1.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

I think the police are extra jumpy right now... what with all the cop shootings in the news.. whether or not there are really any more than usual or the news is just sensationalizing it is a topic for another discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you're carrying a gun, no matter what the other guy or gal does, you cannot afford to get angry, irked or peeved.

It has to roll, like water, off a duck's back as you continue on your merry way.

Biker
    Well said. . .tough to do sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    I guess it is all in the way you look at it my headline would have read "I was unnecessarily handcuffed and detained just because I had a CCL"Just because the driver has a CCL is no reason to do a felony stop.

Usually not, but there are exceptions.

I'm not going to get in to an argument over proper procedure and tactics with you, as that is not my area of expertise and others much more qualified than me will better be able to answer that portion of your statement.

How do you know it was unnecessary? Where you there? Perhaps the officers saw something they needed to investigate and the OP's vehicle matched the description of a vehicle wanted in a recent Bank Robbery?

The thing is, we don't know. What I can tell you, having had to walk up on a vehicle a long time ago that I had stopped is, to me nothing is scarier than a lonely road at night with an "unknown" in a vehicle. That was my first and hopefully last DUI arrest. Since DUI is not a federal crime, yet, and not in my scope of arrest powers, I most likely willl never have to deal with that again.

There was no need to remove you or your gun from the car and definitely no need for the handcuffs.Glad you got out of the ticket but it is the least they can do for treating you like a criminal for no reason.

Hindsight is 20/20 and you weren't there. Also, at the time of the stop the OP was doing a pretty good job of a criminal by violating traffic laws. If the OP, or any of you want to avoid being placed in handcuffs it's real simple, don't do things that bring unwanted attention upon you by your local LEO.
    I placed my answers in BOLD to save space and make it easier to understand.

Some of you may not like my responses, but I'm not to worried about that. Life isn't a popularity contest for me.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Handcuffs are used to protect the LEO. I'm assuming they did this as a precautionary measure until they established that you were no risk to them.
    Unless they cuff everyone they stop for a traffic violation it is pure BS. Stopping someone with a permit is no more of a risk to them than anyone else.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unless they cuff everyone they stop for a traffic violation it is pure BS. Stopping someone with a permit is no more of a risk to them than anyone else.
    Part of the original post:

Quote Originally Posted by batpot View Post
    I'll try to make this short....

I'm in a parking lot traveling in the left lane of a 2 lane one way. The guy in the right lane suddenly decides he wants to turn left, and I slam on my breaks and honk, avoiding him by inches, but blocking him from being able to finish his turn.
    I back up, go around the *******, and speed away...a couple hundred feet away, I stop completely for some pedestrians in a cross walk (who totally did not appreciate my stopping for them, heh), continue on my way, turn left towards the exit, and right onto the main roadway.
    ...needless to say, I was kind of peeved, certainly driving faster than necessary, and this apparently drew the attention of some of the area's finest, who proceeded to turn on their lights and pull me over.........
    Taken out of context, my statement could be viewed as you did. However, in light of the driver's actions (reprinted above) I suspect they did what they did for the reasons I stated.

the thing is, I was cuffed after being removed from the vehicle and being patted down.
    At that point, there was zero threat to them.

I was more scared for my fiance who was then sitting in the car w/ a weapon...
    Things could have turned out much worse for us. I've heard stories of cops backing away while drawing as soon as they find out you are armed or have weapon...precautionary, yes, but jeezus, there is no threat being posed in that or this situation.
    Some coworkers suggested I file a complaint for being cuffed...I'm not sure that would be inappropriate in this situation, but I'm tempted to just put it behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by batpot View Post
    the thing is, I was cuffed after being removed from the vehicle and being patted down.
    At that point, there was zero threat to them.....
    Apparently they didn't think so. I'm guessing it was based more on your driving than anything else.

You have to understand, YOU know that you are not a threat, THEY don't. Remember, you were angry enough to drive the way you did, how would they know how long it takes you to cool down?

You have to understand, YOU know that you are not a threat, THEY don't.
    Exactly.

Apparently they didn't think so. I'm guessing it was based more on your driving than anything else.

You have to understand, YOU know that you are not a threat, THEY don't. Remember, you were angry enough to drive the way you did, how would they know how long it takes you to cool down?
    thats what my thought process

guns don't kill people. angry people kill people.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

My point is just because someone has a gun either on them in a holster or secured in a vehicle is no reason for a LEO to panic and do a pat down and clear the weapon.I have read of to many incidences here and other places where the officer upon finding out the driver is armed basically overreacts JUST because he happens to be armed.I would not panic and get scared if I knew someone around me was armed and so why should they?

I think you're all missing the point, it's what he did prior to being pulled over combined with the permit that probably resulted in the LEO's actions.

If you're barely over the speed limit and get pulled over, no need for cuffs.
    If the light just turned red as you went under it, no need for cuffs.

Driving like a bat out of he&*, dead stop for pedestrians, take off like a madman, maybe. But that was their call wasn't it?

Context, people, context. There is no "one size fits all" situation for being pulled over with a CHL. It all depends on the circumstances.

If he genuinely waved "hi" to the LEOs and they pulled him over and cuffed him, then he would have a legitimate complaint.

My only thing is that through the progression of this thread it went from "driving a little faster than should have" to "driving like a bat out of hell." A picture is being painted of someone swerving in and out of traffic with their head out the window like a furious mad man (okay maybe a tad excessive picture there, but still), when it was not originally explained like that.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    My only thing is that through the progression of this thread it went from "driving a little faster than should have" to "driving like a bat out of hell." A picture is being painted of someone swerving in and out of traffic with their head out the window like a furious mad man (okay maybe a tad excessive picture there, but still), when it was not originally explained like that.
    From the OP:

I back up, go around the *******, and speed away
    No indication of speed given. Squeeling tires perhaps? Okay, an assumption. Then:

...needless to say, I was kind of peeved, certainly driving faster than necessary
    Again no indication of how fast.

We're all reading his side of the story. Think about it, if it were you would you say, "..I sped away burning rubber, jammed on my brakes for the stupid pedestrians in the crosswalk, then bolted again." Of course not.

I'm not crucifying anyone here, but there was obviously probable cause to be pulled over. And then the rest of the story.

so if your lady was driving your vehicle and they ran your tags, will she then be asked to step out and cuffed while your vehicle is searched? I am so glad that our permits are tied to our drivers license rather than our car tags
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links