Pulled over last night in South Florida...my experiences...

This is a discussion on Pulled over last night in South Florida...my experiences... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ginzotech What do you all think? I think that will teach you to make illegal u-turns....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over last night in South Florida...my experiences...

Quote Originally Posted by ginzotech View Post
    What do you all think?
    I think that will teach you to make illegal u-turns.

2. Remove Ads

The Three Steps

I know the 3 steps here in Florida for a handgun in a car.

1) lift the lid of Any Box/container.

2) Grab Gun and point at threat.

3) Pull trigger.

Any Questions?

I like rcsnpr's process better
    "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."-Jeremiah 17:7

In MN, it's very common for the police to be misinformed regarding carry laws. This misinformation often begins with the local chief of police, who wants to make sure that permit holders get the message that they are not appreciated. It is defacto harassment.

What we do is this. We say "Yes sir." when pulled over. We don't argue with LEO's at the curbside. In fact we don't argue with them at all. But when the incident is over, we may have an attorney send a letter explaining the law, and suggesting a more correct course of action for the future. It is sent to the chief, the acting officer, and interested others.

Sometimes it does much good where the street cop is honestly mistaken. They don't want to hear your armchair legal advice out of your car window but they often give credence to letters and proof after the fact. What is has zero affect on are the chiefs of police. It seems the higher the rank, the less interest they have in the law, and the more interest they have in running things "their way".

'nuff said.

Lance:

Thanks for you advice. It is much appreciated. I do have access to more than one attorney for that purpose. However, I also would like to avoid the negative experience at the time, hence the documentation I am carrying. You are right, it may not work, but if I can put enough doubt in the officer's mind by my calm and helpful tone while showing him why I carry the way I do, I hope to avoid handcuffs, a court case, lawsuit, and the like.

This is the same attitude I take towards carrying a gun in general. Yes if I am attacked and I fear for my life, I will do what is necessary, but I also carry pepper spray, am jogging 3 times a week, and am on yellow alert everywhere I go. I hope to God the only thing I ever shoot is paper targets. Likewise, I hope the only time I see handcuffs is when my little brother shows off.

I will do everything in my power to make every meeting with LEO a positive one.

You did it right. The local LEO was wrong and needs to be re-schooled.

Otherwise, you did good
    2A is not negotiable

While the FHP is checking things out and writing the ticket
    FHP did write the ticket ? Do you LEO's in your state extend any courtesies to family / friends of other LEO's or is that a East coast thing?

Using the FHP trooper to educate the local cop was a very good idea and I'm glad the trooper didn't just side with the cop.
    We are all tempted to mouth off to LEO's when they don't know the law and try to enforce their own versions.
    However,an angry cop can, as they say, REALLY MESS YOU UP and the results of your legal lesson to him,even when correct, can be costly.
    Nevertheless,congrats on the way YOU handled the situation.
    Last edited by The Fish; April 28th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

>>FHP did write the ticket ? Do you LEO's in your state extend any courtesies >>to family / friends of other LEO's or is that a East coast thing?

Maybe but I would never take advantage of that. If you do the crime, you do the time...

Fish:

Yeah, I am actually considering shelving the firearm until the CCW comes in, as risky as it is in my neck of the woods. The BSO knows my car now. All I need is for him to see me and try to make an example of me. What if he takes the gun out of the glove box next time, then says the glove box was open? All of a sudden the gun is not securely encased and I end up in jail, not too mention I never get my CCW. I can fight it, but by the time I spend the money and time, it could be years, all because this guy has a vendetta against gun owners. Once the CCW is in my hands it is a different story.

Sucks, but I need to play it safe.

[QUOTE=HITCH KING;FHP did write the ticket ? Do you LEO's in your state extend any courtesies to family / friends of other LEO's or is that a East coast thing?

YEA they do to some as my older brother is leo & my truck is in his & my name, So I staple his card to the registration & FOP tag helps PS Glad everything worked out for you STAR ARMED & SAFE H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Correct me if I am mistaken but I thought in Florida you did not need a CCP to have a loaded gun in your glove compartment. As for a cop not knowing the law, well thatís nothing new.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

>>Correct me if I am mistaken but I thought in Florida you did not need a CCP >>to have a loaded gun in your glove compartment. As for a cop not knowing >>the law, well that’s nothing new.

Yes that is what we were saying....

Nevertheless it must be securely encased, which is why I am considering leaving it at home until I get my CCW. With my CCW, it can be on my person, so no issue of whether my glove box was open or not...

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Correct me if I am mistaken but I thought in Florida you did not need a CCP to have a loaded gun in your glove compartment. As for a cop not knowing the law, well that’s nothing new.
    You are correct.The law says only "securely encased".
    It can be kept loaded in the glove box,console or in a holster.
    It can't be visible.The object of the law is to not have loaded guns sitting on the seat next to you or on the floor behind your feet.With our crazy drivers,it would be too easy for hot heads (like me??)to do something stupid.
    The "three step" (or two step) rule that the local LEO mentioned to him is a common misconception.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Mike:

I am doing one better. I highlighted the area of this book that deal with firearms in your car, and it is now in my glove box. The book is pretty much the bible when it comes to Florida law regarding firearms and is the book recommended by the concealed weapons instructor.

ORLANDO GUN, WEAPON, & SELF DEFENSE ATTORNEY JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq. | Florida Firearms Law Book

BTW, the LEO was BSO - Broward Sheriff's Office.
    Ahh, NY South! 'Splains it all.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

>>Correct me if I am mistaken but I thought in Florida you did not need a CCP >>to have a loaded gun in your glove compartment. As for a cop not knowing >>the law, well thatís nothing new.

Yes that is what we were saying....

Nevertheless it must be securely encased, which is why I am considering leaving it at home until I get my CCW. With my CCW, it can be on my person, so no issue of whether my glove box was open or not...
    FL law is very clear. In the glove box or console closed and latched is legal, whether or not you have your CWFL. If it is not closed and latched, it is not legal without a CWFL. Don't put it in a Crown Royal bag or a Burger King sack or under your seat, unless you have your CWFL.

You will have to decide for yourself, but why would you allow one LEO w/ an attitude or a misunderstanding of the law change your ability to defend yourself?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links