Pulled over last night in South Florida...my experiences... - Page 5

Pulled over last night in South Florida...my experiences...

This is a discussion on Pulled over last night in South Florida...my experiences... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, my first post here. Getting REALLY frustrated that I can not get a straight answer on this anywhere. First I'll highlight the parts ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Hey guys, my first post here. Getting REALLY frustrated that I can not get a straight answer on this anywhere. First I'll highlight the parts that I have questions about.

790.25 lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons

(5) possession in private conveyance. Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed
    in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self defense as provided in s. 776.012.

K ... so ... what does that mean? Cause it looks an awful lot to me like what the law actually says is that I can carry any kind of self defense weapon in my vehicle so long as it is secured, OTHER THAN A HANDGUN. It is saying that I can have a shotgun, or a rifle etc... but not a handgun. And yet I see no reference to where clarification on laws pertaining to handguns in a vehicle would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jergens View Post
    Hey guys, my first post here. Getting REALLY frustrated that I can not get a straight answer on this anywhere. First I'll highlight the parts that I have questions about.

790.25 lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons

(5) possession in private conveyance. Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed
    in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self defense as provided in s. 776.012.

K ... so ... what does that mean? Cause it looks an awful lot to me like what the law actually says is that I can carry any kind of self defense weapon in my vehicle so long as it is secured, OTHER THAN A HANDGUN. It is saying that I can have a shotgun, or a rifle etc... but not a handgun. And yet I see no reference to where clarification on laws pertaining to handguns in a vehicle would be.
    I'll try....

it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. This is all you need to be concerned about as it is all that pertains to carrying in a car without permit. After the period your highlighted part I read as a long gun, or even mace carried legally outside the car. The last part clearly states this particular law does NOT pertain to fully concealed carry without a permit for such.

I am not a lawyer but that is how I read it....I hope it helps

I wonder about this whole u-turn thing?...My first ever ticket was in FL (my real home) and was for an ilegal u-turn?.....Wrong FL law at the time said a u-turn was legal ANYWHERE unless posted otherwise....I got that ticket 4 days after I got my driver license...It was dropped in court as there was in fact no sign prohibiting a u-turn...?..My welcome to driverdom
    Retired US Army/Disabled
    Tennessee in the Republic of the USA
    A Handgun Carry Permit is but a small piece of plastic, but it is a HUGE leap in personal and civic Responsibility!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links