Another "why carry at home?" - Page 2

Another "why carry at home?"

This is a discussion on Another "why carry at home?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My repo/carry at home story: First of all, I always carry at home and sometimes I open carry. When my mom used to live with ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another "why carry at home?"

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    My repo/carry at home story:

First of all, I always carry at home and sometimes I open carry. When my mom used to live with us and she was going through the bankruptcy due to my dad's medical bills Ford finally decided to repo her vehicle (she was already driving a vehicle we had provided for her, the Ford had been parked for months so...). When the guy shows up I happened to be outside brewing some beer and open carrying. I started to walk towards the repo guy to ask him if he needs the keys to the vehicle and to thank him for getting the unwanted vehicle of the street.

The guy freaks the f out! His eyes get huge and he runs to the cab of his truck screaming something about not wanting any trouble... About this time I remember I'm open carrying... I try to tell him that I don't mean him any harm, but suddenly I'm laughing too hard. He stops and looks really confused. Once I finish laughing I tell him why I was coming over. He grins and says he'll gladly be out of our hair in just a few minutes and that the keys aren't necessary but he'll take 'em if I got 'em. I've never seen a guy work so fast in my life.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Interesting coincidence...

I was at the gym today changing clothes after working out. There were 2 guys (attorneys at a local firm, I believe) and one was talking about his "crazy, paranoid" brother-in-law. He considered him "crazy, paranoid" because he has a concealed carry permit and "even wears a gun at home". He asked his friend, "How weird is that?!?" and then they both laughed.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

As I type , have 1911 within a 6'' of my hand.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Redflight09
    I love your avatar Angelina is my favorite as well

Oh yeah back to the point I carry at home MOST of the time (i know) if i was out wearing it (unfortunately i cant carry at work) then it about always stays on until we go to bed
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Until my license arrives, home is the only place I can carry on my person.
    Im in this same boat!

Got my new Sig P220 sitting in a paddle holster on my hip right now.

It's condition 1.

'Nuff said.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetchuck View Post
    And I live in a good neighborhood.
    And your post says Detroit, interesting.

Just kidding, I couldn't resist.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

A couple of months ago the repo guy came for my truck. It was 2:00 in the morning, the dog was barking, and I heard noises outside.
    I grabbed the pistol and flashlight (neither are more than ten inches from me right now) and proceeded outside to find out what was going on.
    I think I spooked the poor guy. He's repo'ing a vehicle and someone comes outside with a flashlight, a 1911, and wearing only boxers.
    I figured out what was up immediately, turned my light off and told him I'd put some pants on and bring the keys out to him.

He asked if I needed anything out of it before he took it and I told him "no" I'd be picking the truck up in a couple of days when my customer payed me.

When I picked it up from the yard, the girl behind the counter was kinda freaked out for some reason. I didn't know what was bugging her, but I knew I wasn't printing. I handed her the paperwork and asked for my keys back. She handed them to me and handed me a bag with my GPS, some cash from the console, my laptop, and my Lorcin .380.
    "We checked and it's not loaded."
    I responded that it didn't even have a firing pin, it was just a cool pen holder.
    She lightened up a bit, and I added "I keep the one that works in my holster"
    She lost her smile.

That noise at 2:00 in the morning could have had a bad day if it came from an invader or a possum, but the repo guy seemed like a pretty good kid and he was just doing his job.

While at home, watching tv, you can find one of my handguns at arm's reach on the side table, next to it my SOG Elite II .
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Bad stuff happens anytime, anywhere, not by appointment, any further questions?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I no longer feel comfortable without have 'tools' on or near my person. Out of the house (except at school), and at home in the house, outside and around the house...my 'tools' are always at an arm's reach.
    With what's happening in today's world, one has to assume the possibilities 24/7...(That school thing really bugs me, but it's the law.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    Like someone else on this forum said, "100% of home invasions occur at home." That being said, I carry at home because you may not have enough time to go and get your weapon if needed. What if I'm taking out the trash and a situation develops where I need it? I'd have to run back in the house to retrieve it and that may not be possible. IMO it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

I open carry at home 100% of time. My dogs kinda look at me funny. You can just see their nonverbals saying: "How come Dad carries that funny looking thing when he has us?" I just smile at them!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Bad stuff happens anytime, anywhere, not by appointment, any further questions?
    100% true statement.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

I'm sitting on the couch with a Glock 32 at my side. Never know what could happen!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links