Another "why carry at home?" - Page 3

Another "why carry at home?"

This is a discussion on Another "why carry at home?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i carry 100% of the time away from home. At home, I am usually in scrub pants and a Tee shirt, and scrubs aren't really ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another "why carry at home?"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    i carry 100% of the time away from home. At home, I am usually in scrub pants and a Tee shirt, and scrubs aren't really great pants for carry. That said, I have a gun nearby all of the time. There are now so many great products for concealing handguns at home. I have 2 cutout concealment books, and an octagonal wall clock that holds a gun. I've also seen advertised a mantle piece that has a small clock, and opens for a gun. I always answer the door with a gun in my hand, and if my wife answers, then I get it out and stand nearby. At night, I have my XD 45 on the night table, with a pistol grip 12 gauge on the floor beside the bed. I had a friend who many years ago had a home invasion (many years before it became "fashionable". He and his wife were tied up, and left tied as their house was set on fire. They escaped because the flames burned through the ropes. It was done by Virginia's worst killers, the Briley Brothers, who later escaped from the Mecklenburg Maximum Security Prison (there;s a great History channel show about that), and were fortunately captured before they killed anyone else..

Quote Originally Posted by PackN View Post
    This unfortunately happened in the ever so gun friendly state of IL but I have seen other stories like this in other gun friendly states. Now maybe in IL you can have one in your pocket on your property...I really don't know. At any rate I have seen polls here before on if you carry at home. I have a friend here in Missouri this happened to and before Mr repo got the truck completely on the trailer....he was staring at a very angry man with a 45 in his hands. Repo man was one house off on the repo job. Repo man got arrested for trespassing, destroying property among a few others. Seems to me if I was a repo man I'd triple check a job before going on someone else's property. I have one (either 38 or 380 ) in my pocket all the time. I had gym shorts on once and went to bed with 38 in pocket and when I rolled over to wife's side...well she thought I was glad to see her - I made that last line up to make a point. ALWAYS CARRY if you can legally.

Repo Man Allegedly Demands Car, Assaults Family Member At Wrong House - KTVI
    Regardless of what the address it, the repo guy has to identify the vehicle by checking the license and the VIN number. He should watch Operation Repo.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

I carry at home as well if I'm doing the dishes or taking out the trash I usually have my colt cobra in a clip on IWB or my SP101 the same way. As other have said if something happens you may not have time to get to your weapon. If you have it on you then its ready to go in case of any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    Regardless of what the address it, the repo guy has to identify the vehicle by checking the license and the VIN number. He should watch Operation Repo.
    I was thinking the same thing. I love that show.

I have a friend here in Missouri this happened to and before Mr repo got the truck completely on the trailer....he was staring at a very angry man with a 45 in his hands. Repo man was one house off on the repo job. Repo man got arrested for trespassing, destroying property among a few others. ]
    I believe in this case, your friend would be guilty of a crime. In MO, you cannot threaten deadly force to protect property. (unless of course they are IN your house).

That being said, I carry or have one close by anytime I am able, especially at home.

0630: Wakeup: J-frame is in mattress holster, next to 12 Gauge in Home Backup Rack. Shower

0700:J-Frame into bathrobe pocket. Breakfast and check email.

0730: Into jeans (winter) or Carpenter Shorts (Summer) J- Frame into Nemesis.

0900: Wally World run and breakfast at the truck stop with wife: pocket check: Cell phone, wallet with HCP and DL , Speed Strip w/5 and J-Frame in Nemesis in Dockers.

1100: Back into shorts or jeans, J-Frame in Nemesis.

10:00 pm: J-Frame back into bed holster, next to 12 Gauge in bed rack. Shower, go to bed.

(I am retired!)

Good idea to give a shout out at the door if it is after dark!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    i carry 100% of the time away from home. At home, I am usually in scrub pants and a Tee shirt, and scrubs aren't really great pants for carry. That said, I have a gun nearby all of the time.
    Ditto...Maybe a Smartcarry would be the way to go.

For years I carried whenever I left the house; indoors, I'm never more than 2-3 steps away from a gun. But a senseless murder on my dog-walking route and the burgeoning cottage industry of home invasions over the past couple of years changed my thinking. Simply put, if I'm awake and at home, I'm carrying a gun.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I do see the logic in having mine handy to where I can get it fairly quickly. I'm kind of at a loss here as to some of the responses as to why if one cousin caught a thief inside the house, he would throw him out and the article seems to leave something out also, but I get the intent of meaning behind it.

I don't live in the safest place, not the worst, not the best type of thing, so I keep it handy. I have other weapons though, so I guess it's all the same.

Just stay safe is the main point here and make the BG pay for their mistake.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Repo is dangerous work. I know a few repo guys around here and they are always armed. That incident could have gotten real ugly real fast.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

When I was faced with my defense issue (earlier post), I took time to get my gun and call LEO's. Problem was ...I knew at least one of my children were still outside somewhere, and I HAD to go back out, and BG was hiding on my property, waiting for me/us. After surviving the shoot, I'll not be caught in or out w/o my gun on my person. In bed, my Mossberg, 3" 000 buck, carry guns, and light are at arm's lenght. ......I thought all my neighbors were nice.....

With my kids around and roving looking for new "toys" to destroy/play with. Leaving guns hidden amongst the house is a HUGE no-no. One (soon to be two when I pick up my PF9 in 45 minutes!) is always on my hip until bedtime then wrapped up in my shorts/pants with flashlight and laid under the edge of the bed.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I carry at home all the time unless I am in the pool. That makes it a little more difficult. Does anyone make a holster for the pool?
    2A is not negotiable

I think its very important to carry at home as well. Its just gotten to where home invasions are just another thing to be on alert for. I Live in a decent neighborhood and about one month ago between the hours of 6pm and 8pm a neighbor across the street had their house broken into. I mean can you believe this - during these hours which means they were being watched.

Anyway - I Always carry my snubbie .357magnum in IWB holster around the house, while on my treadmill, doing any outside work, garbage, whatever - u name it. It is also on standby while i sleep. REAL CLOSE BY. Sometimes i will alternate and have the .44 magnum on duty as well.
    I would feel naked just going anywhere without it (except for those places you can not carry).

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Well, I don’t carry at home, but there is always a pistol or shotgun close by, and I never go to the door unless there is a pistol in my hand.

So what happens someone smashes through anyone of your doors to gain entry and you are 10ft to the closest gun. Its to late you already have a 12ga pointing down on your head, or he blew the back of your head off while you are going to the "closest" gun in the house.

Doesnt matter what nieghborhood you are in it happens to the nicest to the worse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links