CCW in oregon

This is a discussion on CCW in oregon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be traveling to oregon this summer. I have a Utah permit, which I know is not valid in oregon. My questions are these, ...

Thread: CCW in oregon

CCW in oregon

I will be traveling to oregon this summer. I have a Utah permit, which I know is not valid in oregon. My questions are these, Does Oregon do non-resident concealed carry permits? Can I take the classes in Utah or do I have to go to Oregon? What are Oregon's open carry laws like?

2. Remove Ads

Oregon will only grant licenses to nonresidents who live in contiguous states, at the discretion of any local sheriff.

A traveler without an Oregon license may carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle if the weapon is secured in a visible belt holster. A handgun carried in such a manner is not considered concealed. However, while open carry is not restricted under state law, counties and cities may regulate the public carry of loaded firearms.

Portland and other major population centers have ordinances which require all firearms carried in a public setting or in a private vehicle to be unloaded and in plain view or securely cased unless the individual has an Oregon CHL.

Source: Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States (2009 edition)

is oregon a shall issue state or a sheriff issue state?

Shall for residents.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    A traveler without an Oregon license may carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle if the weapon is secured in a visible belt holster. A handgun carried in such a manner is not considered concealed.
    WRONG!!!!

OREGON APPEALS COURT DEALS MAJOR BLOW TO GUN RIGHTS IN OREGON

This court ruling ruled your car as part of a public place. You may get arrested.

Granted this is a state court ruling, and the Supreme Court just ruled to the opposite effect on a separate issue, but you must ask yourself: "Do I have the funds, ability, and willingness to risk being the test case?"

Edit:

Oops, not entirely wrong. I misread this other part from larefugee:

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    However, while open carry is not restricted under state law, counties and cities may regulate the public carry of loaded firearms.
    My opinion of it however is that unless you have it painfully obvious sight, even in a rural county you will get popped for illegally concealing a loaded weapon in your vehicle. I grew up in a very rural gun friendly county, and I can just about guarantee that open carrying a loaded weapon on your belt while driving a car will get you arrested for illegally carrying concealed.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

It is almost as hard to get a nonresident permit for Oregon as it is for Iowa. In Oregon they are issued by the county sheriff, and each county has its own rules. You might get a sheriff of a county that borders another state to grant you a permit, but it would be unlikely if you aren't a resident of the border state. I'm from VA and would have no chance of obtaining an Oregon permit...good thing, since I have absolutely no desire to go there.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    You might get a sheriff of a county that borders another state to grant you a permit, but it would be unlikely if you aren't a resident of the border state.
    The Oregon statute says specifically that to receive an Oregon carry permit as a non-resident one must be a resident of a contiguous state - which means Washington, Idaho, Nevada or California.

Furthermore, said contiguous state resident must have a "compelling need or legitimate business interest" to receive one. In effect, each county sheriff then decides, upon receiving an application, whether the non-resident has such a need or interest.

I recently was turned down because, in the sheriff's letter's words, my compelling need did not sufficiently relate to the sheriff's county. It had been recommended to me that I apply in that county due to the sheriff's strong 2A views.

So, I'm going to try in another county, one that I often travel to for hiking and camping.

Oregon is about as bad as CA in terms of "liberal infestation"! I've vowed to never set foot in that state again.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Oregon is about as bad as CA in terms of "liberal infestation"! I've vowed to never set foot in that state again.
    Ya me, too.

If you stay away from the Willamette valley (ie, the major population centers) you avoid the liberal infestation.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I don't blame you. I am 7th generation and thinking about giving up the homeland to get away from the infestation.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Oregon is a blue state for sure, but not anywhere as bad as CA is. BTW isn't MN a blue state too? That aside this is a beautiful state and I'm happy to live here.

Links