Press Checks Are Free - Page 2

Press Checks Are Free

This is a discussion on Press Checks Are Free within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I leave mine holstered, the more it is handled, the chance for a ND/AD goes up. I know the condition it is in, loaded and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Press Checks Are Free

I leave mine holstered, the more it is handled, the chance for a ND/AD goes up.
    I know the condition it is in, loaded and chambered.

I am the only one who handles my sidearm. It's either on my person or within reach...coffee table, computer table, or night stand...I do not check the chamber each time the holster goes into my waistband.

Every few weeks the chamber round may get recycled...after a few times, that round is used at the range.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    MY Carry piece gets loaded when leaving home and unloaded when
    put away (at home) for the day/night.

My HOME DEFENSE gun (different gun) is ALWAYS LOADED except during maintainence.

Guns going to and from fun shooting are checked as needed.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I only check if Ive not used the weapon for a time. My EDC doesnt need to be checked since Im the only one in control of it. At all times at that.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I'm with you guys on not being necessary.

My side arm goes from holstered on my body to my locked secure place.
    From the securely locked place back to my holster.
    Nobody touches it nor has access to it and I don't believe in magic nor the gun fairy.
    I am a believer in in slip ups, slippery fingers, and farting brains.

Only time I do this, at home, is after a session of dry fire practice upon having used dummy rounds. And doing so has helped me catch a missing dummy round twice.
    Otherwise I just don't see the point in handling a firearm out of the holster and outside of a range anymore than one needs to.

For me it's just not safest to be doing so.
    And the gun I right now most often carry has a chamber port anyway so if ever in doubt I can and do check that out.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    My newer Glock has a "loaded chamber indicator", which is an extra bump on the extractor that protrudes when there is something in the chamber. I usually slide my finger over it and make sure the mag is properly seated when holstering up for the day.

Mine are never out of my control , so I don't worry about it. If I had to check I would just use the loaded chamber indicator. I definitely agree with the gist of the OP's post...know 100% if your weapons are loaded, treat them as if they are until you do know that.

I may be guilty of over checking my weapons... I always press check in the morning and check for unloads each time I pick up a gun while cleaning it. Even at the toy shops after the clerk checks and shows me the chamber I will re check them. The fewer NDs we have the less ammo the antis have for gun bans.
    as Retsupt99 might say:
    stay armed...check your weapons...stay safe.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Quote Originally Posted by XDs 4me View Post
    I want to ALWAYS know what status the weapon is in if I have not been in control of it. Funny this topic comes up, because last night I checked the nightstand weapon, and it wasn't giving me the usual indications that it was "ready". Then I remembered I emptied the mag for the day to give the spring a stretch. This is why I always check, even though we try to be vigilant, I guess sometimes we can't remember everything all the time. So, yes, I check the status constantly.

Be Safe!
    Why? Loading and unloading is what weakens springs to begin with. My EDC is loaded and ready at all times unless I am cleaning it. This gives me no question as to it's readiness and eliminates chances of AD due to excessive handling.

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post

About once a week I perform the unload / reload procedure Janq describes with the added step of blowing it out with the compressor while unloaded.
    Unless you have a perfect water separator in-line of the hose you will be blowing moisture into your gun from the compressor.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

The firearm is warm (on my body), and then goes back on my body so any moisture is likely to evaporate fairly quickly.

I always leave the tank drained, so there is no water accumulation in the tank.

I've never seen any visible moisture buildup.

I doubt this introduces any more issues than the humidity of being near me.

But if I'm mistaken about this, I'm all ears.

-john

I asked because I have to go out unarmed on occasion (my campus does not think I am responsable enough to carry) and when I return home and rearm, well it is possible that something has changed if someone was in my home. Not likely, but possible. I do a press check on my 1911 if I pick it up (and no, not like Al in Heat), but my other firearm allows for a check without it (an XD).

Anyway, thanks for all the great responses, I was just curious what others did.

All of the time.Its such a habit now that I drop the mag to make sure its topped of with HP's and not range rounds,then I insert the mag and do a (safe) press check without even thinking about it.Even though I know my weapon is in the condition its supposed to be in,I still check. If I don't before I holster,it just dosen't feel right to me.

I handle my EDC Three times a day.
    Put it on in the morning, check mag. and look in the window.
    Once to unload last nites dinner,FBI style.
    And put it on the nitestand,
    repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    I asked because I have to go out unarmed on occasion (my campus does not think I am responsable enough to carry) and when I return home and rearm, well it is possible that something has changed if someone was in my home. Not likely, but possible...
    Paladin,

You do lock your firearm(s) up and/or place them away in a secure locked container when you are not home and they are left behind, right?

If so then this concern is a non item.
    Who has access to your locked and thus unloaded or securely locked container to handle your firearms without your authorization?

If you do not lock up your firearms when not home or do not place them in to a secure locked container so as to prevent unauthorized handling of your firearms then that right there is your problem.

Your home is not a secure locked container...
    YouTube - Hidden camera captures Boynton Beach burglary

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Press checks are a free way to shoot yourself in the hand. :(
    Yup. It has always struck me as just that. Or, rather, it hasn't struck me yet ... and I'd like to keep it that way, thank'ee very much.

Deliberately placing the hand right at the muzzle just doesn't seem to be following the spirit of any safety elements we consider.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links