Press Checks Are Free - Page 3

Press Checks Are Free

This is a discussion on Press Checks Are Free within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am the only one that touches my guns and I keep my duty and carry guns fully loaded all the time but before I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Press Checks Are Free

I am the only one that touches my guns and I keep my duty and carry guns fully loaded all the time but before I holster whatever gun I'm carrying I always check it to be sure. Yes, I know it's redundant but I heard a story of a plain clothes cop that didn't check his that one time and lo and behold when he needed it most the hammer fell on an empty chamber. I will not be that guy. Ever.

BTW, I use the "pull" check method described on page one on this thread, not the "press" method shown in the photo. The only difference is that I put my trigger finger on the side of the slide, it gives me more control over it when I pull it back.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    There are ways to do a press check that do not involve getting your hand anywhere near the muzzle.
    Also remember if you do Admin. reload to watch for bullet set back. I personally would rather do a safe press check if I do not have a load indicator on the pistol.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

No press check for me! I carry an XD40sc. It has a loaded chamber indicator and striker indicator so you can feel if the gun is ready to go even if you can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Also remember if you do Admin. reload to watch for bullet set back. I personally would rather do a safe press check if I do not have a load indicator on the pistol.
    Rocky,

Bullet setback is specific largely to .40S&W though.
    Those persons who run .40 no to check for this and even then it takes multiple reloading of the same round to result in setback.

It can occur with .45 ACP JHP that isn't cannelured, but even so it's relatively rare and of low consequence as the .45 is a relatively low pressure round and well within spec even if there is some setback.

Not that checking ones bullet for setback would add but another 1s to the process.

Speaking in general toward the majority of SA defensive calibers and firearms setback is a low event happening as related to a loading of any sort be it administrative or otherwise.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I always check it when I take it out of the lock box.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Personally I just don't see it as being unsafe to do a press check with your hand NOT in front of the muzzle (who thought that was a good method?) and your trigger finger on the other hand NOT on the trigger. The gun won't go off on it's own...

At any rate, I am the only one who touches my sidearm - my wife knows how to use it, but if it's there, so am I so she knows to look for a long gun if there's a problem while I'm away. That said, I still make sure that I didn't do anything dumb like leave dummy rounds in it or leave it unloaded each morning before I holster...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Rocky,

Bullet setback is specific largely to .40S&W though.
    Those persons who run .40 no to check for this and even then it takes multiple reloading of the same round to result in setback.

It can occur with .45 ACP JHP that isn't cannelured, but even so it's relatively rare and of low consequence as the .45 is a relatively low pressure round and well within spec even if there is some setback.

Not that checking ones bullet for setback would add but another 1s to the process.

Speaking in general toward the majority of SA defensive calibers and firearms setback is a low event happening as related to a loading of any sort be it administrative or otherwise.

- Janq
    I agree , however I have found setback issues with my SA Champ as well. I think the more radical the angle of feed ramp , the more likely to experience setback.
    If someone is in a daily loading /unloading cycle setback can occur quickly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Agreed....Yeah ramp angle specific to ones own gun can be a killer, pun intended. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    How many folks, when picking up their weapon before holstering it to carry for the day, press check to make sure that the weapon is in the condition that they carry in?
    Some, either a press or pinch check.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Press checks are a free way to shoot yourself in the hand. :(

No thank you.
    That is bad form and handgun practice, though it's often featured on TV and in movies.

Many modern semi-automatic firearms have a chamber indicator so check that and call it 'ready'.

Or dump the magazine and stroke the slide as properly grasping it from the rear (not hand over the top shrouding the chamber either!).
    Eject the readied round. Now you have in hand an inert firearm.
    Recover the spent live round.
    Reinsert magazine and release the slide hold if actuated or stroke the slide once more fully to the rear to load, while pointing the gun in a _safe_ direction.
    Holster the now live weapon be it in hand and holstered or as holstered on body.

There after remove the magazine from the weapon while remaining holstered.
    Top it off with the errant single round and reinsert the magazine in to the handgun as still holstered on body. This final step is referred to as an 'administrative reload'.

Safest and all semi-automatic pistol reliable.

More reading on the Administrative Reload method can be fond at either of the following;
    * Police One - Officer Survival: Staying alive with rapid reload
    * Officer.com - Mastering the magazine

- Janq
    well, I would say it should be noted that doing proper press checks can be beneficial
    as you said in your posts, the one shown in your picture is not proper
    I use off hand over top/back part of slide and pull back just enough to see brass through the top of the opening

that being said, no I don't do one everyday
    my daily routine: G17 duty weapon-end of day unholster, put in paddle holster, put in safe, change clothes, retrieve holstered G30 from safe and put on my hip; at night G30 is on top of safe, G17 and G21 are inside safe under my bed; on work days G30 goes in safe when ready and 17 gets taken out of paddle and put in my duty holster, no need to press check all the time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I ALWAYS do a press check. Once in the habbit, it bcomes part of the routine. At home, at the range, or getting ready to leave the house...it just happens without thought or question. It's just part of 'make ready'.
    S&W 625
    Glock 21
    Glock 30

This is my glock. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links