Carrying TO court, in NH?

This is a discussion on Carrying TO court, in NH? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im most likely going to have to go to court in the coming months (as a witness) over someone punching dents into our front door, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying TO court, in NH?

Carrying TO court, in NH?

Im most likely going to have to go to court in the coming months (as a witness) over someone punching dents into our front door, trying to attack my brother.

I always carry wherever it is legal... so if i were to carry to court, do they have a procedure where they disarm you at the door and lock it up for you for when you leave?

What options would I have?

2. Remove Ads

Don't know about NH, but in Va you would not get past the metal detectors. If you attempted to carry a firearm into court please don't be surprised if you end up on the floor with a knee in your lower back. I would bet it is a no no.

In SC you would probably get arrested then have your weapons permit revoked.Leave the weapon in the car or at home.

VIP Member
    Found this on handgunlaws.us:

TITLE 12 159:19 Courtroom Security.
    I. No person shall knowingly carry a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver, or firearm or any other deadly weapon as defined in RSA 625:11, V, whether open or concealed or whether licensed or unlicensed, upon the person or within any of the person's possessions owned or within the person's control in a courtroom or
    area used by a court. Whoever violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a class B felony.

II. Firearms may be secured at the entrance to a courthouse by courthouse security personnel.
    III. For purposes of paragraph I, "area used by a court" means:
    (a) In a building dedicated exclusively to court use, the entire building exclusive of the area between the entrance and the courthouse security.
    (b) In any other building which includes a court facility, courtrooms, jury assembly rooms, deliberation rooms, conference and interview rooms, the judge's chambers, other court staff facilities, holding facilities, and corridors, stairways, waiting areas, and elevators directly connecting these rooms and facilities.
    IV. The provisions of this section shall not apply to marshals, sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, police or other duly appointed or elected law enforcement officers, bailiffs and court security officers, or persons with prior authorization of the court for the purpose of introducing weapons into evidence and as otherwise provided for in RSA 159:5.
    V. It shall be an affirmative defense to any prosecution under paragraph I that there was no notice of the provisions of paragraph I posted in a conspicuous place at each public entrance to the court building.
    Source. 1985, 258:2. 2000, 175:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2001.
    While not allowed in the courtroom, it appears you can check it and have it secured at the doors of the courthouse.

I would check before hand to assure they do have the facilities to secure it for you.

I would leave it in the car. BTW, what kind of idiot would punch a metal door?

I'd do the same as United, no need to create any unnecessary drama, leave it in the car.

I don't know about the courthouse, but I saw a video of citizens open carrying during a protest inside the NH statehouse. What better way to show the government who's the boss? These people weren't brandishing or anything stupid, but following the law and excersizing their rights.

Carry as far as you are able. Dressing well, acting professional, and keeping a level head always help in these situations. Good luck in court and best wishes to you and your family.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Found this on handgunlaws.us:

While not allowed in the courtroom, it appears you can check it and have it secured at the doors of the courthouse.

I would check before hand to assure they do have the facilities to secure it for you.
    Wow. I like it.

Too bad more States don't have such a provision.

BTW -- checked http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/...59/159-mrg.htm. So this seems current.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

From my 27 years law enforcement experience, I recommend you NOT
    carry a concealed handgun to court for any reason; unless, you are a
    law enforcement officer, and even then, in most jurisdictions officers
    other than those assigned to court security must lock their weapons in
    lockers for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Capizi View Post
    From my 27 years law enforcement experience, I recommend you NOT
    carry a concealed handgun to court for any reason; unless, you are a
    law enforcement officer, and even then, in most jurisdictions officers
    other than those assigned to court security must lock their weapons in
    lockers for that purpose.
    Don't do it like he said !
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    In PA they are required to have safes at the security checkpoint where you can place your firearm.

I'm not sure about NH... I would imagine it would be the same. Would never hurt to pick up the phone and ask

You cannot bring a firearm into a Courthouse in West Virginia.

If it were me, I wouldn't chance taking a weapon even near the place.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Bad idea, leave it locked up elsewhere.

VIP Member

Question Why not exercise the RKBA?

I'm a tad confused, here.

Why are so many RKBA advocates recommending not exercising a legal RKBA?

If as stated in NH law, the courthouse allows for a check-your-guns-at-the-door, why does a different law/practice in other States or our personal experience in other States matter to someone going to court in NH?

I for one have sent a copy of the NH law to a couple of folk to see if we can get some traction to change Virginia law to also allow for a check-your-guns-at-the-door law.

I think we as a RKBA group should be saying, if it is your right in your State exercise it and we should be working to get that right in all States.

A right un-exercised because of peer/community pressure is a right lost.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I agree DaveH. While NH law does not allow for carry into the courtroom, they make provisions for securing your weapon at the door. Why would a person not want to take advantage of it. What MI, PA, FL or VA laws state are irrelevant to what the OP ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links