Carry on a personal plane (Oregon)

This is a discussion on Carry on a personal plane (Oregon) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, This is my first post and I have a legal question. My 21st. birthday is rapidly coming and I plan on obtaining my license ...

Thread: Carry on a personal plane (Oregon)

Carry on a personal plane (Oregon)

Hello,
    This is my first post and I have a legal question. My 21st. birthday is rapidly coming and I plan on obtaining my license as quickly as I am allowed. I have alot of time with rifles and handguns alike, grew up on a farm. I currently live in Washington county and work as a CFI, Certified Flight Instructor. I fly out of airports that are not secured. So I could carry on airport property, right? I know that you cannot carry on an airliner-etc., however could I legally carry while flying a small personal plane like a Cessna, Piper, Mooney, etc. Being that the flights are not passenger flights and are conducted in a private like manner I would think it is legal. Hauling of any gun on a plane is legal, providing I as the pilot in command are aware-etc. If anyone knows or has a thought on this please let me know what you think.

P.S. This being my first post I was long winded so as not to leave out any detail in my question. I didn't want to exclued anything and get yelled at for it. Thanks Justin

2. Remove Ads

I'm not qualified to give legal advice but exactly WHERE on airport property you can carry, that gets tricky at times. Also, I'm sure an issue would come up if you 'fly across state lines' (does that even make sense?) I don't know how far you fly, but if you hop north to Washington or cruise south to California, are they going to be copasetic with it?

I would for sure do some calling and checking first. Can't hurt to run it by 1) the person you work for and 2) an attorney
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I have been a private pilot and have my CCPs for many many years. To carry or not, it is up to the airport you fly in or out. You are allowed to keep your firearms in your plane. As to carry around the airport, you should check with the airport. Keep in mind, you will get many conflicting answers by various airports. Some airport is privately own and some is owned by either, county, state or fed. Some airport I flew in even has TSA officers, lol. However, concealed is concealed>>>>

Just my 2 cents.....

As others have said, I am not an attorney and I am sure things have changed since the 80’s… BUT

Back in the mid 80’s I got my civilian pilot license, and use to fly some friends and I all over the place. If I left the state of Florida where I had my CCL, I transported my pistol as I would in a car or by air under Federal law.

I packed it inside my suitcase unloaded, in a separate locked container, and placed my suitcase in the back. The only difference between this and a commercial flight is there is no one to declare the pistol to.

The problems may come in when you get to another state that does not accept you CCL, or if you should have to land and then fly out of an airport that has security.

Other things to consider is make sure you stay in the US; Mexico and Canada have very strict gun laws, and what does your boss think about you carrying a pistol with you.

In late 1987 I started thinking about looking for a new job, so I started flying as co-pilot with a friend on an air ambulance. I was given a company manual and in it stated “firearms prohibited”. So I left my pistol in the car. And it’s a good thing I did. While we landed at smaller airport most of the time, we also landed at major airports and from time to time, we had to go through security to pick up our passenger.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

I believe for the most part it is legal as long as your not entering a secured area of an airport. I don't think there is going to be one hard answer to your question. Different states have different laws governing where you can and can't carry. You need to check the laws of the states you fly in and out of and know what their rules are. Might want to check with the AG's in those states for clarification on their rules.

Also if your flying up near the Canadian boarder it could become a sticky situation if your force to divert for weather or mechanical problems and land in Canada, since Canadian law does not allow for the carrying of hand guns.

VIP Member
    I am a multi, and instrument rated private pilot in Utah, and I carry regularly when I fly. However, I follow the same rules as if I'm driving when I go to other states. As long as I stay in Utah, I CC. I've seen a few things at airports that make me feel the need to be armed to be prepared.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Welcome. Wish I could offer advice, I know what I'd do but it isn't based on any law I can cite so I'll keep my opinion to myself.

Be safe! Wish I had some extra funds to get my private license.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I'm a student pilot and I carry all the time when I fly. My instructor knows I fly armed and has no problem with it. I decided to tell him that I carried a gun because in the cockpit of a Cessna 152, even if it's concealed it's going to get bumped into, those things are tight.

I have flown to a couple states where my CHL is recognized and carried just like I would in the car. If I was going somewhere that didn't have reciprocity with my state I would just lock it up like I would if I was driving there.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    First thing you have to consider, is who owns the airport you're flying out of. The owner would have the final say as to whether you could carry. The planes are private property, so again it would be up to the owner. If you have their consent, there should be no problem, if the plane belongs to you, have at it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thanks for all of your imput. You guys all see it like I pretty much thought. As for the comments about carry into private fields and other airports, the owners of private strips are all farmer-hunters and will have no problem. I thought of the carry into other states and do realize the limitations that would entale. I seldum do flights out of oregon, and if I do I usually dont land anywhere, just overfly. My thoughts on PDX, Portland/Hillsboro, and other public owned airports was that it was ok provided no signs were posted in the areas I was at and it was not a secured area of that airport. Also my company, owner of the planes I teach in has no direct policy on carry. Dont ask don't tell. I highly doubt that he would have a problem however I don't want to prevoke a negative answere from him. Thanks for all of the quick insights. Anywhen else with an additional thought please share. Thanks again Justin

Links