Federal "safe passage" law?

This is a discussion on Federal "safe passage" law? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its my understanding that under this law a person who is lawfully carrying a concealed pistol and is licensed to do so in their home ...

Thread: Federal "safe passage" law?

Federal "safe passage" law?

Its my understanding that under this law a person who is lawfully carrying a concealed pistol and is licensed to do so in their home state,is covered under this law while driving through a state where their license to carry isn't valid. Is this correct?

I ask as I'll be driving up north to see my dad and will have to drive thorugh a couple of states where my carry permit from my home state of Florida isn't honored. The states will be NJ and NY,I'd like to go around them but driving to new england this isn't an option. So if I abide by the federal safe passage law and don't stop at all in these states and just drive through them am I legal?

2. Remove Ads

No no no. FOPA provides for the transport of firearms not the carrying. You can take a firearm, unloaded cased and locked through a state where you may not be able to possess it as long as it's legal at your origin and destination. Be advised that NY has a history of ignoring this and confiscating firearms at NY airports. Even though the person was going to CT, NY said it was illegal and that the transition from plane to car constituted 2 "trips".

Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

+1 for mchasal. Carrying is a whole different ballgame.

Don't trust either state. Obey the speed laws and go through without stopping if possible. Especially NJ and oh by the way NJ outlaws hollow-points so do not have any on you or in the car.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I think there is unfortunately a big difference between what the Federal law allows, and how NY and NJ police and prosecutors actually behave; and you can not count on the courts in either NY or NJ to pay any attention to the validity of the Federal law. There will always be some "technical" reason why it doesn't apply to you. Both these states have bad reputations as far as being not only gun unfriendly, but legally unreasonable.

I have considered applying for a CT non-residence permit, but quickly figured out there was no assured safe way to get through NY or NJ and on to CT.
    Their idea of travel includes NO stops for gas, food, and I once read even tolls (can't confirm that).

Don't do it.

Hmm. That also brings up the question of whether or not you would be legal in any case at your destination. You said New England. I think CT does not recognize anyone else's license; you need a CT non-residence license. I have no idea what MA does.

So even before worrying about NY and NJ you need to make sure you will be legal at your destination in New England.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Hmm. That also brings up the question of whether or not you would be legal in any case at your destination. You said New England. I think CT does not recognize anyone else's license; you need a CT non-residence license. I have no idea what MA does.

So even before worrying about NY and NJ you need to make sure you will be legal at your destination in New England.
    Also keep in mind, though, that it is legal to POSSESS a firearm at your destination. You don't have to be legal to carry that firearm, just that POSSESSION of that firearm is legal. Possession, carrying and transporting have three completely different legal definitions.

BTW, NJ seems to be very friendly regarding TRANSPORTATION of firearms THROUGH New Jersey:
    New Jersey State Police - Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey

But, do leave HP ammo at home.

WOW thanks guys glad I posted this thread. Hopyrad I'd be applying for a Ct nonresident carry permit so I'd be legal once there. so I'll stop at the border of NJ and just put the gun in a lock box unloaded in my trunk and the ammo in its original box in a separate locked container. I also will not bring any hollow points wither,will this make me legal to transport the handgun through NJ/NY?

I would say so.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I wouldn't travel to or thourgh IL, NY, or NJ if they were giving away 'winning' lottery tickets.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    You also may have to lock it up in MD. Call CT DPS and ask them to send You out non-res application. 860 685 8441.

I believe You can have hollow points passing thru NJ in ammo box, but not in magazines. Check it out.

Good grief.

I knew the northeast US was "occupied territiry"... but I didn't realize just HOW bad it is in a few places.

With any luck, my presence up there will never be required...

I carry under the auspices of HR 219; but after talking with a few NJ troopers and NYPD types who were here for Katrina, I want no part of those locales and/or their communist laws/mindsets.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    WOW thanks guys glad I posted this thread. Hopyrad I'd be applying for a Ct nonresident carry permit so I'd be legal once there. so I'll stop at the border of NJ and just put the gun in a lock box unloaded in my trunk and the ammo in its original box in a separate locked container. I also will not bring any hollow points wither,will this make me legal to transport the handgun through NJ/NY?
    Not sure how you are getting to NJ, but if it is through Maryland you'd better plan on stopping a little earlier to unload and store!! Also plan on driving straight through MD if possible.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

jwb
    Handgunlaw.us

You might find this site a useful one when traveling. Links to all state laws and answers to many questions regarding to travel.

Links