An acquaintance believes in carrying concealed... but without a permit

This is a discussion on An acquaintance believes in carrying concealed... but without a permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP : they'll find him guilty of several gun charges, and of stupidity. Ignorance of any law is not an accepted defense .... ever. If ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: An acquaintance believes in carrying concealed... but without a permit

OP : they'll find him guilty of several gun charges, and of stupidity. Ignorance of any law is not an accepted defense .... ever. If he even "knows" there is such a thing as a CCL , then he wasn't ignorant there was a law on it.

Here anyway, a death (even if it's self-defense) in the commission of a felony (carrying without a CC license) equals a murder charge and life in prison.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I have a lady friend who carrys and will not get a permit. She says with a permit, the "FEDs" know who to confiscate from first..and she is right.
    You know my sister? This is the way she thinks too. She carries all the time.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Tennessee has a really valid system of obtaining a permit, with a fair doctrine as to who can carry. Yet I know for a fact that many people carry without a permit. Complicating matters is that TN has a law stating that a person can use a unlawful gun in self defense and still claim self defense. This isn't a bad law, it covers ad hoc situations where you may suddenly find a gun available to use to defend yourself. The problem is that people see this as license to break the law.

You are still open to charges that you were unlawfully carrying a gun and civil lawyers can still use the trump card that you yourself were engaged in a criminal activity when it comes to claiming claiming tort.

I carry with a HCP, because there are many laws stating that this is what I am supposed to do. I am a law abiding citizen. Many people today are starting to see themselves as heroes and "Super Patriots" when they break the law because their political party lost an election. I didn't vote for the current President but the majority of people in this country did, so he is the President and ditto for all of the other political leaders down to local level.

We are breeding an atmosphere that it is somehow "good" to break the law. Contesting the law in courts and trying to legislate other laws is "good". Breaking the law is just plain bad and those who do it are criminals, no different than the "Zombies" they rant about.

Carrying without a permit, if it is required by law in your state, is a criminal act plain and simple.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

As others may have already mentioned, it does not matter how intelligent people are when it comes to illegal CCW. They tend to think they are invulnerable to LEO. All it will take is one encounter with LE that goes terribly wrong. The next thing they will do is play the "victim" card. I have no sympathy for these people.

For the time & effort it takes to go "legal" they don't or won't see the logic under any circumstances. To these people I say, too bad!!!

Can we all say felony together?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I personally think for those who carry without a permit, they "Assume" the risks, just as those of us who do carry with a permit. We assume the risk of taking a life if the need arises. Carry without a permit, you assume the risk of going to jail if caught with a weapon. We can try to educate, but we shouldn,t try to babysit.
    bunker likes this.
    "Brains before Bullets"

People like him in some respects are no better than the criminal's out there doing the crimes.

It's ultimately people like this that further tarnish law-abiding citizens exercising their rights as responsible citizens to protect themselves and their families.

If he's not responsible enough to obtain a legal ccw permit, who's to say he's responsible enough to understand his applicable laws and the deadly force clauses contained therin. Point blank, he's dangerous to himself and others around him IMO.
    The US Marine's aren't a branch of the US Military, they're a Religion unto themselves

I had so much to say until I read all of the posts and found that all has been said.
    Just keep at him and sooner or later he'll come to his senses. If he doesn' tthen all you can do is watch from the stands as to how his situation plays out. Good luck!
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

a lot of "little things" could be in the past of non CCW license applicants that would preclude them getting one. You just never really know all the facts.The right to defend ones self does not lie in the CCW permit.Some states allow open carry without a permit,in reality having some clothing over the gun doesn't make a whole lot of difference.The real problem will be if he gets discovered by a cop.To each their own.

What a fool. I would stay clear now that you know
    2A is not negotiable

I too believe in carrying concealed without a permit.

Thats the way it should be.

I do like following the law though too so I have a permit.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Then he tells me he doesn't believe he should get a CCW permit because if he is involved in a shooting, having a permit will indicate he should have known all the laws, whereas if he doesn't have a permit, he can claim ignorance. He feels he will receive some mercy from the prosecuting attorney and jurors because not having a CCW permit will show he hadn't been trained in the law, whereas if he had a permit, that would be proof he had been exposed to the applicable gun laws and therefore would have been expected to follow them all.
    I wonder where he got this information from

Grady,
    If anyone can help this guy out I know you can

You can lead him to the water but.......you know the rest
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

My take is that the police won’t cut you any slack for carrying without a permit if there is a system in place to get one.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    He could always move to Alaska or Vermont, at least in those two states he will be legal to carry without a permit. Ignorance of the law is no excuse for anyone.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I operate by the old adage; "never offer free advice, wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it" YMMV

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links