An acquaintance believes in carrying concealed... but without a permit

This is a discussion on An acquaintance believes in carrying concealed... but without a permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Grady if it's a good shoot it's a good shoot, but if he shoots somebody without all the legal reasons to use deadly force in ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: An acquaintance believes in carrying concealed... but without a permit

Grady if it's a good shoot it's a good shoot, but if he shoots somebody without all the legal reasons to use deadly force in place it doesn't matter whether he knew if it was legal or not,he will be charged,and having no permit the DA will tell the jury the defendant shot the victim illegally with an illegally concealed weapon because the defendant does not abide by the laws of this State
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

once and idiot, always an idiot.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Here in Illinois we have no ccw nor do we reconize any. There are people who carry anyway. It boils down to this. Why do you carry? If it is to possibly save your life you will possibly go to jail if you have to use your firearm. If you have no firearm with you to use you could face death by the hands of a BG. Their choice, jail or death. Kinda like being between a rock and a hard place. It sucks!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    If carrying concealed without a permit is a felony and you are aware a felony is being committed, isn't there a duty and responsibility to inform law enforcement......
    Tell them you heard it in confession and aren't allowed to divulge the information.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    as a retired LEO..he's asking for trouble. I appreciate his knowledge and proactive attitude toward self-defense ,but believe me courts don't look at things like he does(think: "ignorance of the law is no excuse"),especially if you reside in a state that makes getting a CCW fairly easy. Tell him to WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE ! Recommend he read some of Massad Ayoob work with the Lethal Force Institute. He NEEDS to be on the SMART side of this issue! GOOD LUCK !
    I agree, although I'm not a retired LEO yet.

Part of having a Permit is that it shows who the good guys are, to a point. Without the "State Permission Slip" you are just another scumball, dirtbag, piece of human fecal matter, insert appropriate verbiage here, to any LEO that you come in contact with.

Permits and State Laws are not my area, but I do have an opinion on the matter having worked for a state agency in the past. Tell your acquaintance to GET THE PERMIT! I know that I would look for any way I could to make your friend's life H E Double Hockey Sticks if I had to deal with him in an official capacity and was still with that state agency when there is a system in place to get a Permit.

I guess the old saying applies: You can't fix stupid.

Biker

Wow. I kind of assumed that most adults understand that not knowing the law isn't a defense. He's held to the same standard as anyone else. Dumb logic on his part.

Not to mention that he really does know the law, so he's basically willing to lie if he gets caught. Doesn't sound very trustworthy.

Grady, have you considered that he probably realizes to get his CCW permit, he
    will be fingerprinted, and if he has a previous arrest history which includes
    domestic violence, he will be rejected (at least here in Michigan he would be).
    He might be a very nice guy, but one never knows what could be in his background. In this day of computerized criminal history records, many past
    deeds could come back to bite him by applying. If he gets caught carrying
    without the permit, the felony charge would certainly keep him from ever
    carrying legally.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I just wanted to share my recent interaction with a Texas DPS narcotics officer (he's the father of one of my employees and constantly has a J-Frame grip sticking out of the top of his gym shorts when he picks his kid up).

We got on the subject of carrying and I told him I had a CHL. He then told me that in his opinion everyone should carry, whether they have a CHL or not. He said the 2nd Amendment should override any stupid state law and that if you didn't carry and were just expecting someone else to protect you that you were either crazy or stupid. He also said that withe everything he's seen he doesn't go anywhere without a firearm...

Somewhere around the 2nd sentence I just started doing the whole "nod and don't make any fast movements" kind of thing until he was done with his diatribe. When he was done he smiled and said he'd see me tomorrow and he and his son left. It was all very odd...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

There are a lot of people who carry without a permit. This includes good guys and bad guys. All I can say is that they better keep a low profile or be prepared to spend time in jail

VIP Member

DPS says its OK?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I just wanted to share my recent interaction with a Texas DPS narcotics officer (he's the father of one of my employees and constantly has a J-Frame grip sticking out of the top of his gym shorts when he picks his kid up).

We got on the subject of carrying and I told him I had a CHL. He then told me that in his opinion everyone should carry, whether they have a CHL or not. He said the 2nd Amendment should override any stupid state law and that if you didn't carry and were just expecting someone else to protect you that you were either crazy or stupid. He also said that withe everything he's seen he doesn't go anywhere without a firearm...

Texas DPS officers are usually very good guys, usually very well trained, usually highly competent and intelligent dudes.

Are you sure this guy is what he claims? That is too weird!!! Maybe he's on some of what he's supposed to be finding?

Surely, if he really is DPS he knows better.

Because he is a home owner and a MBA doesn't mean something in the past isn't stopping him... There could be something in the past that won't allow him to get it... Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    What a fool. I would stay clear now that you know
    I agree. If it was just the fact that he doesn't want a permit, then yeah try and convince him. But what troubles me is that you say he has made certain statements (fantasizing perhaps) about active shooters and how he is going to save the day.

Do you really want to be with him when he finally detects a "crime in progress" and takes action? If he is with you and gets frisked by the cops, or decides to brandish his weapon (say at another motorist that cut you off) do you really want him saying "well he carries too"?

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    It is sad, that such an otherwise "right on" person should forget that one little detail.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

I don't know if the CCW laws eliminated the "prudent man" defense to carrying w/o a permit. Used to be it was an affirmative defense.

That being said, I used to carry w/o a pemit. My business was in a bad part of town and I was there at odd hours. The local LEO knew I was armed, or at least assumed bc I would not give a straight answer when asked, and didn't say much about it. Although I must say, having had my permit for a while now, it is much more comfortable carrying and I now carry all the time, not just when I think it would be "prudent".

I've known people who insisted on smoking dope.

If you're a mentally competent adult and you knowingly break the law, the consequences are yours to deal with.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links