Did the right thing and got burned! - Page 2

Did the right thing and got burned!

This is a discussion on Did the right thing and got burned! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe in the dont ask dont tell policy. Hope everything works out for you....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I believe in the dont ask dont tell policy. Hope everything works out for you.

I sympathize, but people need to realize even sympathetic employers are RARELY going to give PERMISSION for you to carry.

And then further need to consider, once you ask and are told "no", you have only put yourself in a worse situation.

This is one case where I think "don't ask, don't tell" is the most workable situation.

When people respond, well, it is against company rules and they can fire me if they find out, my feeling is:

1) Many states are "at will" employment states, and they can fire you for NO reason.

2) Don't let anyone find out. CCW at the workplace shouldn't be a casual affair. Don't tell other employees you carry, even if you think they are CCW friendly.

3) IMO, if the employer wants to restrict people's ability to protect themselves, I feel they have a moral duty to protect them. And I mean *real* security.

I know some will say you should take another job or try to convert them to see the light. If you can afford to move on if they don't "come around", great. I applaud your efforts.

But in general, I think it is unrealistic to think many moderate or large companies are going to openly support your right to CCW. Too many lawyers, too many lawsuits.

And even in small, personal settings, it is probably not going to come out on your side very often.

-john

A year or so ago my company instituted a "no weapons on company property" policy. They sent around a a notice for all employees to sign stating the employee understood and and would comply yada yada yada.

I wrote "NO, I do not agree" in big letters and signed my name. Fortunately nothing has ever been said about it. I do not carry inside th building but I do leave it locked up in the car.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It's your own fault. Ask Bumper what his motto is.
    Since Bumper hasn't responded yet....

Always Carry, Never Tell!!!

Hopefully Bumper won't be mad at me for stealing his thunder
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Such is life...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I am not an attorney, but if you keep it in your car, I do not believe they have the right to search your personal property. If they try to do so I have to believe that they are in violation of your 4th Amendment rights.

If they open up that can of worms, you could own the company. I just love how others want to take away my ability to protect myself and then expect they have no responsibility if something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    They obviously do not give a rats hindquarters about your safety will traveling to and from work. I would keep it in my car, and apply for other jobs. You could take a pretty healthy cut in pay and still be ahead of the game.

Your 8 hour day requires 10 hours of your time. It costs a bundle to run your car down the road for 2 hours each day. Do the math and find fame and fortune elsewhere.
    That's what I'd do also.

Why tell on yourself though ? The only way they'd have known is if you needed it, then you'd be alive and who gives a damn about a "policy" when the choice is between life and death.

I don't like having to have a permit to protect my life, much less asking someone else if they mind if I keep myself alive. Definitely don't break any laws, but unless there's a metal detector somewhere stay safe. Concealed means concealed and quiet too.

Atleast at my work, the parking lot and iside my truck is considered private property....They cannot search your car / truck. Unless they would take it far enough to call the police on suspiscion, which is very unlikely. Bottom line: Don't ask don't tell, Bad move to let anyone know your carrying, even know it seemed like the right thing to do. JMO

Retsupt99,
    I think you forgot something. Let me know if you need a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    The motto referred to (above) is Always carry, never tell.
    There is logic to that motto. If you "tell," then you are no longer concealed among those whom you told, and who they tell, and who they tell, and who they tell.

It seems that for a new permit holder, there is a desire, if not a compulson, to tell everyone he knows about his new permit. As time goes on, the compulsion diminishes.

I wish that he had consulted this forum before he revealed his permit to his employer. As to a present solution, his job probably is more important.

Check any applicable laws about the employer's ability to regulate keeping a firearm in your vehicle while legally parked in a parking lot. Several states have made it legal for you to keep a firearm in your parked vehicle, even where guns are not allowed (such as schools).

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    I am not an attorney, but if you keep it in your car, I do not believe they have the right to search your personal property. If they try to do so I have to believe that they are in violation of your 4th Amendment rights.
    I am a lawyer, and I agree with you 100% to to a point. However, you left out probably the most important part "No searchee -- No workee." That also is legal in almost all states.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    If they try to do so I have to believe that they are in violation of your 4th Amendment rights.
    Private employers are not bound by the 4th Amendment.

Or the 1st, or the 2nd, or the 5th, etc, etc, etc...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I just retired ... today was my last day at work... and I work for a very anti-gun company. If you even have a picture of anything gun related, you can be fired. Guns in cars are not allowed. The law allows it and it's not a crime, but they can still terminate you.

I hated it and when I went shopping, ran errands, etc. after work I always felt naked and vulnerable.. but I did not take one to work or have one in my car. Now... I'm retired and can carry 24/7, and boy I'm glad. But, I didn't chance losing my job and my pension over it.... as much as I didn't like it.

Ironically, employees don't know it..... but the VP's are authorized to conceal carry at work. They were concerned about the safety of their VP's because of layoffs, etc..... and I know who trained them and helped them get their CCL. This is not known by 99.5% of the employees that there is a double standard.

Some Management... really do fear their employees.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links