Did the right thing and got burned!

This is a discussion on Did the right thing and got burned! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yep, I'd say you screwed yourself by opening your mouth about something you should have kept quiet about. Park off property by close by if ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Did the right thing and got burned!

Yep, I'd say you screwed yourself by opening your mouth about something you should have kept quiet about.

Park off property by close by if possible. I surely wouldn't drive 55 miles from home without my gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

no good dead goes unpunished.... Don't ask and definitely don't tell.

Nobody sees the Gray Man. The Gray Man carries (with an HCP.) Nobody knows the Gray Man carries. Better to be the Gray Man.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    is the parking public parking too if so then they cannot do anything about it somebody just one a case last year i think that if it is in a public parking area then the company has no right to make you leave your gun at home the courts ruled that you have the right to protect your self http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...urprising.html
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

What part of " no unauthorized weapons are allowed on property" wasn't clear?

WOW... I can't remember the last time so many people gave the same answer
    +1 to just about everyone

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewsman View Post
    is the parking public parking too if so then they cannot do anything about it somebody just one a case last year i think that if it is in a public parking area then the company has no right to make you leave your gun at home the courts ruled that you have the right to protect your self http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...urprising.html
    Unfortunately the 10th Circuit Courts ruling is not applicable. All it did was uphold the legality of an Oklahoma law. Until states pass laws similar to OK and FL that does not allow employers from restricting their parking lots we're at their mercy on the issue.

VIP Member
    Yuppers....you did it to yourself....Learn from this:"Always carry,Never tell"...and" Concealed means Concealed...not broadcasted"...my $.02

How would the gun hidden in the car be found unless you give permission for a search? Why would anyone in their right mind volunteer that kind of information?" Is it the need to brag about having a ccw permit or the need to subconsiously intimidate people?

I am not going to be critical of you. I have only had my permit since January. This is something I may have done--now I know not to tell anyone thanks to this forum.

An "unauthorized" statement about weapons on the property would make me think there was an opportunity to be "authorized." Perhaps they only meant that LEOs could carry, but company policy cannot take a gun from a police officer now can it? I would have thought your employer would honor your training and the permit issued to you after background checks, etc. Instead of misleading people to think some weapons are authorized and some are not, they should have said that no weapons would be allowed. It would not surprise me if your employers allow themselves to carry.

Man, I've been crispy burned like that. Talked alot with people, then a slip of the tongue. Now, they wonder why I don't talk so much. They think I'm depressed, and unhappy. No I just don't talk about certains any more @ work. I just keep my mouth shut and only speak needed.

Quote Originally Posted by woody99 View Post
    Sheep are stupid if they think bad things only happen between the hours of 5pm and 5:30am and only at your house. I'm very pissed off and need some input.
    How are you PO'd? You offered him the opportunity to use his rightful authority to deny your right to carry. Particularly with the email, I would suspect a "zero-tolerance"with you now, if a weapon were seen during working hours.

Being "good" does not mean standing on top of the castle wall in shining white, and screaming, "I'm a virgin!!!" to the barbarian masses.

Head down, mouth shut, run from trouble- it will get you farther in life.

So me being the honest law abiding person that I am, and figuring that I should be the one to tell my boss that I carry ( not someone accidently finding my gun) I send him an e-mail. I tell him that I have my permit and I've been keeping my gun locked in my car. I had not taken it into the shop, and just wanted to be up front with him.
    I am not aware of any legal obligation in Michigan to notify your boss you had a permit and that you carry (carried). You just became "that guy with guns"...despite your best of intentions.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    best of intentions.
    We know how that saying goes.

I'm a truck mechanic, and just got my CPL two weeks ago. I live in Mich. and drive an hour one way to get to work. My company's handbook has a list of conduct rules, and half way down is one saying that " no unauthorized weapons are allowed on property"

So me being the honest law abiding person that I am, and figuring that I should be the one to tell my boss that I carry ( not someone accidently finding my gun) I send him an e-mail. I tell him that I have my permit and I've been keeping my gun locked in my car. I had not taken it into the shop, and just wanted to be up front with him.

My boss and his brother grew up on a farm and hunted. I figured they would authorize me to keep my gun in my car without any problem. I could not have been more wrong. I feel like I'm working for Obama's step brothers. In Mich., property owners have the power to refuse to let employees secure their guns in their own cars.

I was told that my gun should just stay home and if I really feel the need to carry do it in the evenings or on weekends. They just don't feel comfortable with me having a gun in my car on their property.

So now do I break the rules and if found out possibly lose my job? Do I find someplace off the property to park? or do I leave my gun at home and hope that I don't need it somewhere within the 55miles between work and home?

Sheep are stupid if they think bad things only happen between the hours of 5pm and 5:30am and only at your house. I'm very pissed off and need some input.
    I would keep my gun at home...don't lose your job over this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links