Did the right thing and got burned! - Page 4

Did the right thing and got burned!

This is a discussion on Did the right thing and got burned! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry about your situation. Maybe let it blow over for awhile then start caring it in your car. A quick question how long did it ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Did the right thing and got burned!

Sorry about your situation. Maybe let it blow over for awhile then start caring it in your car.

A quick question how long did it take you to receive your CPL from the state of Michigan?

Good luck

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I just retired ... today was my last day at work... and I work for a very anti-gun company. If you even have a picture of anything gun related, you can be fired. Guns in cars are not allowed. The law allows it and it's not a crime, but they can still terminate you.

I hated it and when I went shopping, ran errands, etc. after work I always felt naked and vulnerable.. but I did not take one to work or have one in my car. Now... I'm retired and can carry 24/7, and boy I'm glad. But, I didn't chance losing my job and my pension over it.... as much as I didn't like it.

Ironically, employees don't know it..... but the VP's are authorized to conceal carry at work. They were concerned about the safety of their VP's because of layoffs, etc..... and I know who trained them and helped them get their CCL. This is not known by 99.5% of the employees that there is a double standard.

Some Management... really do fear their employees.
    OK you are retired now, can they pull your retirement or cancel your birthday? If not, spill the beans and tell everybody who this evil company is!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

try to park off their property, and keep quiet about your carrying now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I just retired ... today was my last day at work... and I work for a very anti-gun company. If you even have a picture of anything gun related, you can be fired. Guns in cars are not allowed. The law allows it and it's not a crime, but they can still terminate you.

I hated it and when I went shopping, ran errands, etc. after work I always felt naked and vulnerable.. but I did not take one to work or have one in my car. Now... I'm retired and can carry 24/7, and boy I'm glad. But, I didn't chance losing my job and my pension over it.... as much as I didn't like it.

Ironically, employees don't know it..... but the VP's are authorized to conceal carry at work. They were concerned about the safety of their VP's because of layoffs, etc..... and I know who trained them and helped them get their CCL. This is not known by 99.5% of the employees that there is a double standard.

Some Management... really do fear their employees.
    Eagle.......you need to tell folks about this
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by woody99 View Post
    So me being the honest law abiding person that I am, and figuring that I should be the one to tell my boss that I carry ( not someone accidently finding my gun) I send him an e-mail. I tell him that I have my permit and I've been keeping my gun locked in my car. I had not taken it into the shop, and just wanted to be up front with him.
    How would someone accidentally find your gun if it is in your car?

The perspective of your boss is obviously not wanting the power of authority changed. By stating your ccw or have gun in car to him obviously means I better get my annual pay increases, no layoff's, etc.

Doctorw is right, I would not be surprised if they allow themselves to carry. I think you have your answers from the good people here regarding do not tell. And I dissagree completely with allowing time to pass to then carry in car again. To find alternative parking is wise, make it happen. However, understand that this employer's mindset will be negative of you even if you park offsite, now that you disclosed. Something to think about in your future there.

"When Democracy Becomes Tyranny I STILL get to vote."

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Being "good" does not mean standing on top of the castle wall in shining white, and screaming, "I'm a virgin!!!" to the barbarian masses.
    I just spit my coffee all over my Mac!! That is the best quote I have heard in a long time!!

To the OP -- you learned a lesson the hard way! It's a shame but it is reality.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Don't carry on work property. If your car gets broken into and gun gets stolen, you would need to disclose to police. Now its a public record where your employer can find out.

With the job market the way it is and especially in Michigan, not worth it. You will find that most companies have a "N0 Weapons" policy.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

FWIW, I would obey the rules now that you have a direct "no" from the boss, but I would go face to face with him (NON-confrontationally) and try to get a feel for why... if it becomes something more than a yes/no question and you are respectful and truly interested in your boss's input, you may make more progress... if not in allowing the gun, at least getting him thinking in terms of safety, which can lead to policy change.

Something to consider for future situations is that while easier for the asker-for-permission, email puts answers in writing; it does not impart the proper emotional "heartbeat" to the request; and it forces the giver-of permission into a short yes/no response... often more is achieved by a short, heartfelt "in real life" conversation and discussion about an issue.

If I were an employer, I would consider the liability associated with putting in writing permission to carry firearms on my place of business, especially without really thinking out policy, qualifications, etc. I would be very likely to allow it if the employee came to me in person, I could see that they were serious, respectful, and in appearances- competent to use good judgement. I would not casually put permission in writing though, at least not without full lawyer guidance!!!

Good luck with the choices before you, I hope you can resolve this issue with your employer in a mutually respectful manner.

obey company policy, park off-site, or get another job.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

The motto referred to (above) is Always carry, never tell.
    Words to live by, my friend.

Amen my brother!

That said, I would not carry into the premises. But I would have it locked in my truck!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Because jobs are hard to find in Michigan right now I would have to agree with others about parking off property.

starshooter231
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

I work for a small company and one of the owners is actually my father in law.
    they issued their first "employee handbook" a couple of years ago, and it contains a no weapons on company property rule. I asked my father in law about it (off the clock) and he said it was a suggestion by his lawyer and if somebody has a weapon in their car he just doesn't want to know. by the way we have two BB guns that we shoot behind the shop on break and the owners usually come out and shoot with us so i think the rule is just there for some legal reason.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Actually you did what you thought was the right thing.
    But remember Always Carry, Never Tell.
    If you tell one person and he tells two friends, who tell two friends who tell...
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by starshooter231 View Post
    Because jobs are hard to find in Michigan right now I would have to agree with others about parking off property.

starshooter231
    Crime and thefts are up too... as is the need to protect yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorw View Post
    I am not going to be critical of you. I have only had my permit since January. This is something I may have done--now I know not to tell anyone thanks to this forum.

An "unauthorized" statement about weapons on the property would make me think there was an opportunity to be "authorized." Perhaps they only meant that LEOs could carry, but company policy cannot take a gun from a police officer now can it? I would have thought your employer would honor your training and the permit issued to you after background checks, etc. Instead of misleading people to think some weapons are authorized and some are not, they should have said that no weapons would be allowed. It would not surprise me if your employers allow themselves to carry.
    This is exactly my point!!! Thank you for wording it clearly. I am kicking my own butt for opening my mouth,and thank you all for making me feel like crap about it. I do not brag to anyone about carrying and I did not want to intimidate my employer as a fellow Michigander said. This was all conducted through e-mail so only a couple people (two too many apparently) would know. I've written to my state rep. and I'm going to push to change the state law anyone in Mich. who wants to help let me know so when I find out what to do I will contact you.

M&P9c
    SW99 40cal.
    SuperTuck

Final note: I sat down twice with my employer and talked with him. I ran the scenario by him about an employee who hunts having his shotgun in his truck at work. He replied, saying it's diff. because it would only be a day or two out of the week, and he would have no idea it's there because they don't have a way to police everyone's car. Anyway I'm done talking about this now. Thanks for everyone's input.

M&P9c
    SW99 40cal.
    SuperTuck

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links