Did the right thing and got burned!

This is a discussion on Did the right thing and got burned! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a truck mechanic, and just got my CPL two weeks ago. I live in Mich. and drive an hour one way to get to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

I'm a truck mechanic, and just got my CPL two weeks ago. I live in Mich. and drive an hour one way to get to work. My company's handbook has a list of conduct rules, and half way down is one saying that " no unauthorized weapons are allowed on property"

So me being the honest law abiding person that I am, and figuring that I should be the one to tell my boss that I carry ( not someone accidently finding my gun) I send him an e-mail. I tell him that I have my permit and I've been keeping my gun locked in my car. I had not taken it into the shop, and just wanted to be up front with him.

My boss and his brother grew up on a farm and hunted. I figured they would authorize me to keep my gun in my car without any problem. I could not have been more wrong. I feel like I'm working for Obama's step brothers. In Mich., property owners have the power to refuse to let employees secure their guns in their own cars.

I was told that my gun should just stay home and if I really feel the need to carry do it in the evenings or on weekends. They just don't feel comfortable with me having a gun in my car on their property.

So now do I break the rules and if found out possibly lose my job? Do I find someplace off the property to park? or do I leave my gun at home and hope that I don't need it somewhere within the 55miles between work and home?

Sheep are stupid if they think bad things only happen between the hours of 5pm and 5:30am and only at your house. I'm very pissed off and need some input.

M&P9c
    SW99 40cal.
    SuperTuck

Park off property if that is a possibility.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

VIP Member
    It's your own fault. Ask Bumper what his motto is.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

They obviously do not give a rats hindquarters about your safety will traveling to and from work. I would keep it in my car, and apply for other jobs. You could take a pretty healthy cut in pay and still be ahead of the game.

Your 8 hour day requires 10 hours of your time. It costs a bundle to run your car down the road for 2 hours each day. Do the math and find fame and fortune elsewhere.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    Park off property if that is a possibility.
    Agreed.

And try to feel people out before you bring up the topic again.

I understand you wanting to do the right thing, but my casual reading of your workplace rules led me to believe "unauthorized weapons" didn't apply to you since yours was legal. I honestly thought you were okay until you mentioned their reaction.

You learned the hard way to be more discreet. I'm not saying break the law, but perhaps you can be honest and discreet at the same time.

VIP Member
    1. I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission. Tell no one!

2. Park off site if convenient. If not possible, you only have two choices without braking the law. That is your decision.

Good luck with it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    If you cannot park off their property then obey their rules or quit. These days it is good to have a job.

Regards,
    Jerry

Sorry to hear about your problem is the shop close to another parking lot park there then walk.

Just wanted to see how long it took you get your cpl? What county? Thanks and good luck

Woody.. I am in the same boat. Can't have anything in the vehicle on company property. However, it is better to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission....most of the time anyway.

None of anyone else's businesses what you do or don't do, what you have or don't have. I can't imagine any scenario where it would be good for your employer to know that you have a permit to carry, even if you blab to all your friends and get away with it, tell a co-worker and you will regret it every time.

The motto referred to (above) is Always carry, never tell. Words to live by, my friend.

+1 on parking off property.

Now that you have created your own problem, you have some personal choices to make...where you park, what you carry, where you work.
    Good luck with the choices.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

whoops! Hard lesson to learn..good luck and hope things work out.
    "Brains before Bullets"

VIP Member
    You have pretty much put yourself in a position of either parking off company property, finding a new job or stop carrying to work. Since they know you have a permit and have carried in the past, don't be surprised if your hit up for a random search. In which case you either agree to it or face being fired.

Dont ask and dont tell. As has been said, its easier to ask forgiveness.

I wouldnt have said a thing.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links