Finger on trigger, afraid to handle weapon

This is a discussion on Finger on trigger, afraid to handle weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you hand me a weapon what will I do. Do I see you checked the chamber before handing it to me? If not I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finger on trigger, afraid to handle weapon

If you hand me a weapon what will I do. Do I see you checked the chamber before handing it to me? If not I will take the weapon and check to see if its loaded. I will keep my finger off the trigger and keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Notice I didn't say I would unload your weapon, its your weapon I just want to know if I am handling a loaded weapon or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I think you need some more training if you think you can. The startle response is a physiological reaction. No amount of training is going to eliminate it.
    Not all people have the same response. I don't jump or grab when startled. to each there own.

2. Remove Ads

I always keep my finger off the trigger until ready to fire. Ive recently started taking my girlfriend to the range and i preach finger off the trigger and keep gun pointed in safe direction. She got it in about 30 seconds. I dont see a big deal. Just keep your finger off the trigger.

See I like how you guys are attacking me. I did not say I put my finger on the trigger I said most of my buddies do. I said I am more then likely to have the safety off by the time the weapon is at my shoulder or handgun is aimed then not.

You guys instantly see a post about finger on trigger and you go into your redirick instead of reading.

it just takes practice and alot of feedback from other observers to correct the behavior

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    See I like how you guys are attacking me. I did not say I put my finger on the trigger I said most of my buddies do. I said I am more then likely to have the safety off by the time the weapon is at my shoulder or handgun is aimed then not.

You guys instantly see a post about finger on trigger and you go into your redirick instead of reading.
    I have carefully read everything you have posted in this thread. The problem here is not with people misunderstanding what you are saying, the problem is that you seem to have a deep and persistent misunderstanding of proper gunhandling.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I have carefully read everything you have posted in this thread. The problem here is not with people misunderstanding what you are saying, the problem is that you seem to have a deep and persistent misunderstanding of proper gunhandling.
    You are very mistaken with this bull post. You do not know me so how can you say that from what I have posted. You need to go back to reading comprehension 101 dude.

If I were to handle a gun the way you describe, I would have been shot and/or thrown in the brig by now. You don't mess around with that kind of thing. In the field it's one thing to have the safety off when you're bringing the gun to your shoulder. It's another to do it everytime you pick up a gun.

Trigger finger does not go inside the guard until you're ready to pull it, period. Safety gets turned off when you're ready to fire.

About the trigger...

Well, not to cause an uproar, but I do see Muddy's point. Thats why when i, or my friends handle ANY firearm, and our fingers are within the trigger guard, we always put our pinky in the end of the barrel. This assures us that extra amount of safety, and if we find ourselves with a free thumb, that is used to plug a more southerly oriface!

Quote Originally Posted by HT1911 View Post
    If I were to handle a gun the way you describe, I would have been shot and/or thrown in the brig by now. You don't mess around with that kind of thing. In the field it's one thing to have the safety off when you're bringing the gun to your shoulder. It's another to do it everytime you pick up a gun.

Trigger finger does not go inside the guard until you're ready to pull it, period. Safety gets turned off when you're ready to fire.
    Once again where did I say the safety comes off everytime the gun comes up? I said while hunting. See people just don't read or comprehend.

Thanks for proving a point about reading comprehension and jumping to conclusions. You guys do this so well, it was almost text book behavior. Do you ever waver off your little soap boxes to see the big picture or do you just follow along like good little sheep?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    These guys have a lot of time in the field behind a weapon with no accidents.
    People never have any accidents, until they have their first accident.

I agree that most combat type firearms have pretty stiff triggers that are difficult to accidentally press. It is worthwhile to note that stress does very bad things to fine motor skills and what is a 10 pound trigger pull may feel like 10 ounces. Also, I have fired a few rifles with "hair" triggers and they can be especially dangerous. It is good to get in the habit of finger off the trigger all the time so if you pick up a hair trigger firearm it is already ingrained in your training.

Once again where did I say the safety comes off everytime the gun comes up? I said while hunting. See people just don't read or comprehend.
    If you read and comprehend my post, I said it's one thing in the field. Which is an agreement with you. I then said, in a seperate sentence, that it's another thing if you do it everytime the gun comes up.

In my case, I had to break myself of the habit of doing it with a long gun, otherwise I would have had an ND by now with as many times as I'm shouldering a battle rifle.

You are way too defensive, and quick to belittle instead of holding a conversation.

You are very mistaken with this bull post. You do not know me so how can you say that from what I have posted. You need to go back to reading comprehension 101 dude.
    If you feel you are being misinterpreted, perhaps you ought to try to explain yourself more clearly instead of slinging insults.

Quote Originally Posted by dagace View Post
    Well, not to cause an uproar, but I do see Muddy's point. Thats why when i, or my friends handle ANY firearm, and our fingers are within the trigger guard, we always put our pinky in the end of the barrel. This assures us that extra amount of safety, and if we find ourselves with a free thumb, that is used to plug a more southerly oriface!

Lead Moderator
    I suggest everyone take a deep breath and relax. Written word sometimes comes across or is interpreted different that the OP may mean to say.
    I think typical hunters tend to have good safety, however muscle memory takes over , it is normal for most shooters to move the finger to the trigger when shouldering a weapon.
    It isn't about being unsafe, typically when a gun is shouldered it intended to be fired.
    Shooters with more formalized training (shooting schools, ect) have had it burned into their muscle memory to keep the trigger finger out till ready to fire, therefore notice someone not following range rules .
    Also the shoot /no shoot engagement of defensive shooting calls for more trigger discipline than hunting. Most safe hunters will not shoulder the gun till sure of their target.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

So the other day I was showing my AR to the Father in Law and his 3 sons. What I noticed was when all 4 of them put the AR to there shoulder there finger was inside the trigger guard. (Unsafe/Poor gun handling) Well this got me thinking about my buddys and how we handle our guns. I would bet that 95% of my buddys when shouldering a long gun or aiming a pistol put there finger inside the trigger guard. (Since you said 'we' you are also included in the unsafe/poor gun handling category) While hunting I bet these same guys as well as myself have the safety off before the long gun or handgun hits the shoulder or is aimed. I realize the safety issues with your finger inside the trigger and I know its not wise (yet you do it anyways)but more often then not in the real world this is what is done. (incorrect, show me any gun safety training where you and your buddies bad habits are advocated) These guys have a lot of time in the field behind a weapon with no accidents. (Dumb luck) I remember many conversations that went something like this. "You want to shoot my rifle? Cool no problem but be advised it has a very light trigger, I mean very light so don't touch it until you are on target" Which meant keep your finger off the trigger.

I then read posts on here about guys with there finger on the trigger or pics posted and guys saying gee he sure had his finger close to the trigger. (recognized unsafe/poor gun handling) Then there are guys that are afraid to handle there weapon out of its holster because there could be a accidental discharge. (other topic of discussion, has nothing to do with your unsafe/poor gun handling) I have to say what gives? Is it just guys new to firearms and there still half scared of them? Since owning my own rifle from the age of 10 and having both gun and ammo in my possession at that age as well as handling a firearm most my life on a fairly frequent basis I don't understand. To my knowledge a weapon will only go off if the trigger is pulled or hammer is dropped and I trust myself and finger enough not to go around willy nilly pulling triggers.
    You sir need to re-think your unsafe/poor gun handling habits, you have no rational defense and ZERO gun safety courses advocate the unsafe/poor gun handling techniques that you practice. You would not shoot with me or my friends and would be told in no uncertain terms to change your ways or leave. Take care...Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links