Finger on trigger, afraid to handle weapon

This is a discussion on Finger on trigger, afraid to handle weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the other day I was showing my AR to the Father in Law and his 3 sons. What I noticed was when all 4 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finger on trigger, afraid to handle weapon

Finger on trigger, afraid to handle weapon

So the other day I was showing my AR to the Father in Law and his 3 sons. What I noticed was when all 4 of them put the AR to there shoulder there finger was inside the trigger guard. Well this got me thinking about my buddys and how we handle our guns. I would bet that 95% of my buddys when shouldering a long gun or aiming a pistol put there finger inside the trigger guard. While hunting I bet these same guys as well as myself have the safety off before the long gun or handgun hits the shoulder or is aimed. I realize the safety issues with your finger inside the trigger and I know its not wise but more often then not in the real world this is what is done. These guys have a lot of time in the field behind a weapon with no accidents. I remember many conversations that went something like this. "You want to shoot my rifle? Cool no problem but be advised it has a very light trigger, I mean very light so don't touch it until you are on target" Which meant keep your finger off the trigger.

I then read posts on here about guys with there finger on the trigger or pics posted and guys saying gee he sure had his finger close to the trigger. Then there are guys that are afraid to handle there weapon out of its holster because there could be a accidental discharge. I have to say what gives? Is it just guys new to firearms and there still half scared of them? Since owning my own rifle from the age of 10 and having both gun and ammo in my possession at that age as well as handling a firearm most my life on a fairly frequent basis I don't understand. To my knowledge a weapon will only go off if the trigger is pulled or hammer is dropped and I trust myself and finger enough not to go around willy nilly pulling triggers.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I realize the safety issues with your finger inside the trigger and I know its not wise but more often then not in the real world this is what is done.
    That is why there are so many who say "the gun just went off." The intent may be accidental, ubt the cause is all to predictable.

These guys have a lot of time in the field behind a weapon with no accidents.
    Its called luck.

Keeping the finger inside the guard without intent to shoot is an accident waiting to happen. I've spent my fair share of time hunting, and stuff happens. Your foot slips or you turn quickly.

Keep the finger off the bang switch and out of the guard until your ready to go.

Finger on the trigger means trouble. The only time that I would have my finger on the trigger is when I am going to pull the trigger. I actually have practiced keeping my trigger finger extended so as not to pull the trigger.

I have to say what gives?
    I call this de-evolution. I tend to stay clear of those who would give the human race a bad name.

Good post. Some do take it too far. Being safe is one thing, being anal about it is another. That said, I wouldn't be too thrilled to be around my buddies with their fingers on triggers. I only trust me, and still keep my finger outside of the guard.
    Why give the accident a chance to happen. Especially in a group of guys, one guy is holding a gun,another one behind him bumps him, or horseplays.......boom.

VIP Member
    People learn bad habits just as easily as good habits. Bad habits are just harder to brake!

Have you ever spilled a drink when some one walked up and startled you? Just think what would happen if your finger was on the trigger in an already tense situation and somebody moved suddenly and startled you.

Just food for thought. Make your own decisions.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Now I am not saying we walk around with our finger on the trigger, come on. What I am saying is when a weapon gets shouldered or pointed more often then not the finger is inside the trigger guard.

I think it's a matter of training. I too have seen people very familiar with firearms place their finger inside the trigger guard when checking out a firearm. My conclusion is that they never learned the 4 rules of firearm safety that are often mentioned here. In one case in particular, the man had never heard of the 4 rules, although except for this mannerism he was very safe with guns.

Now I am not saying we walk around with our finger on the trigger, come on. What I am saying is when a weapon gets shouldered or pointed more often then not the finger is inside the trigger guard.
    If this is the case, you need to fix it and develop some better gunhandling habits. If you don't, you're going to have an ND sooner or later. The natural response to getting startled is to tense the muscles in your arms and legs. If this happens when you finger is inside the trigger guard, the gun will go off. They've done tests showing that when someone is startled, even a highly experienced shooter, that if their finger is inside the trigger guard they will exert enough pressure to pull the 14 pound trigger of a double action revolver.

Whenever you pick up a gun, handle a gun, point a gun, your finger should always automatically go into the register position: straignt, laid alongside the frame, outside the trigger guard. It should stay there until you make a conscious decision to shoot. This should become so instinctive that it's second nature. You really know that you've got good gunhandling skills when this is so ingrained that your finger goes into register when picking up an electric drill, hair dryer, or some other appliance with a pistol grip.

You need to ditch that dangerous habit rapidly. Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until you are ready to fire the weapon, or until you are on target and may have to fire at any moment. That is not being scared of the gun, it is common sense. In fact, the way to spot stupid and irresponsible begginers is to check how they handle their weapon, including their observance of this important rule.

Look at the photo on top of your screen, right side, on the Defensive CArry banner. The finger is outside the trigger guard on the pistol. IMO, unless you are ready to discharge the firearm, that's the way it should be.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

It's all about muscle memory.
    I can hand someone a gun and tell in a moment if they have received any training at all...

If I hand you a weapon, what will I see you do?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My point exactly, yep just what I has saying guys jump on the wagon and call you stupid or what ever. I think you all need some more training if you can't trust your finger.

It is what it is - a stupid thing to do.

I think you all need some more training if you can't trust your finger.
    I think you need some more training if you think you can. The startle response is a physiological reaction. No amount of training is going to eliminate it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links