Having an Attorney Beforehand? - Page 3

Having an Attorney Beforehand?

This is a discussion on Having an Attorney Beforehand? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PNUT It's an excellent idea. You want a guy who'll get out ofbed at 300 a/m in the rain if you need ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Having an Attorney Beforehand?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    It's an excellent idea. You want a guy who'll get out ofbed at 300 a/m in the rain if you need him to. it would be easier to get that to happen if the Lawyer knows who you are and has a fat retainer check from you.
    I would rather have a good, experienced lawyer and spend the night in jail rather than using as a primary selection criteria a guy who will come at 3:00AM in exchange for a retainer.

I started my search with the former president of the NRA (who resides locally,) who provided me a chain of good contacts. As others have said, a criminal defense attorney is the way to go rather than just a lawyer who likes guns.

Remember, for every innocent man in jail there is an incompetent attorney that was his advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Very good idea. Got his card in my wallet and his number in my phone.
    Just concluded my Utah CC permit training, successfully I might add, and one of the key points was to have an attorney beforehand. His advice is don't say a word until your attorney is present. I have a new phone # in my phone!

Ask at your gun shop. They know which lawyers shop there and are gun friendly.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I would rather have a good, experienced lawyer and spend the night in jail rather than using as a primary selection criteria a guy who will come at 3:00AM in exchange for a retainer.
    And how do you think that attorney you call "Good & experienced" got that way?

Humm...

VIP Member
    Excellent Thread: In fact I’ve been thinking about this same subject long before seeing this topic. I plan on taking Bruce’s advice and start looking. Also, the suggestion to consult with a local LEO is excellent. Luckily, I know one I can ask without raising eyebrows. I mean, can you imagine how some overzealous LEO may react when you ask: ...who is good if I shoot someone?
    Ok, I realize we would approach the topic more diplomatically, but LEO’s are suspicious by trade.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links