Having an Attorney Beforehand?

This is a discussion on Having an Attorney Beforehand? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wondering this for a while: As a person who carrys, would it be wise to have contacted and found an attorney skilled with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I've been wondering this for a while:

As a person who carrys, would it be wise to have contacted and found an attorney skilled with CCW issues, in the event that I actually had to use a handgun in self-defense? That way, I would know who to contact immediately thereafter, and I could let the police know too? Or would it suffice to find an attorney after the incident?

Good idea or not?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I have an attorney I have spoken with and I have his name and contact info in several locations, where I or my family cas access it if needed.
    Hopefully I will never need to use his services, but definately a good idea, just in case. This attorney was recommended by ny CPL instructor and he feels this is a good practice.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Very good idea. Got his card in my wallet and his number in my phone.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

By all means, Yes, have the name/number for a good 2A defensive lawyer. My first and maybe only call will be to my wife who can have as many calls as it takes to get things done, ie lawyer, bondsman, etc..
    If you get a recording at the lawyer's office, it could be the makings of a long night or several nights. you do not want to spend the night in jail.
    A good bondsman's number may be a good idea, but the LE should furnish you with a list upon request.

I have made several calls to attorneys without positive results as of yet. I have decided that I will work harder this summer to find someone in the area that I have had at least a '30 minute' conversation with and can be assured of his/her presence at a moment's notice (or someone from the office).

Stay armed...know your attorney's phone number...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Great Idea

I have a first choice as well as two back up who I have spoken with about my concerns and possible needs for counsel. JUst as with anything ele the worst time to shop for something is when you actually need it. Do your research and make fully informed decisions.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Statistically, you'll never need one. However, in the unlikely event you find yourself in need, the best source of attorney referrals are local LEO's. Don't concern yourself with looking specifically for a 2A or "Second Amendment" lawyer. What you'll need is a criminal defense lawyer. In that event, talk to local LEO's, if possible (preferably beforehand) and get the scoop on a few. The best (most competent) will come up in conversation over and over again.

The "best" defense lawyers are those who are well-connected with local law enforcement, and most importantly, well-connected with the District or State Attorney in your area. Here in Florida we have State Attorney's, and they're elected. I can tell you from 17-years of specializing in criminal defense, that it's not what you know, it's very much who you know. Cliche', I know. But it's a simple fact.

To answer your original question, "No," you don't need a lawyer in advance. I would recommend knowing WHO you're going to call if the need should arise.

Great idea

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated!

We had an attorney come to speak at a "After Deadly Force" Class. He was super informative and gave us a card. One of the things that he stressed over and over was that any thing you say to the police WILL be used against you even when it seems like a innocent statement HOWEVER, nothing you say can be testified FOR you by the police officer for the defense because it will be an objection from the procecuter as "hearsay". So nothing you can say is good.
    Also he said that he goes out anytime, anyday when called. He stressed to us that if you are charged with a felony, even if it's a Not Guilty vote, that it will cost you so much money. So, if you have to use it, make sure that you HAVE to use it and that it's a matter of your life. If you have not taken an "After Deadly Force" class, it is totally worth your money. It was a great follow up from CCL class.

"

MJK
    After I received my permit I made an appointment with a local attorney. When we met I told him that I hoped I'd never need his services, but as a concealed weapons carrier I thought it would be in my best interest to contact him right away if I ever got involved in a shooting. He gave me his cell, office and home phone numbers and said to call him right away should it be necessary...AND don't say anything to the police.

I carry his numbers in my cell (speed dial) and on a laminated card in my wallet. My wife also has these numbers just in case.

I have peace of mind knowing he's only a phone call away.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    "...He gave me his cell, office and home phone numbers and said to call him right away should it be necessary...AND don't say anything to the police..."
    The comedian Ron White talks about a situation he was in where he "had the right to remain silent, he just didn't have the ability."

Best advice you can have, and USE, is "shut up, be polite, and ask for your lawyer." Repeat, if necessary. It's always best to "shut up" in advance. You can't un-ring a bell. And, as was posted earlier, anything you DO say WILL be used against you. That's as sure as death an taxes.

Everybody in Northern KY and Cincinnati area if you carry and need a lawyer here is your guy!
    J. Scott Kappas, Esq.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I suppose I'm over the top . . . since I have business cards (with home and cell numbers) for two of the top defense lawyers in town -- in my wallet right behind my permit. I sit on a board reviewing judicial candidates and when the public defender learned I was getting my permit (last year), he called over the two guys most skilled in the area of 2A matters. While I hope I never have to call them, I'm glad I know who to call.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links