Insecure with more security...

This is a discussion on Insecure with more security... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by whitetrashfarm I think people are so oblivious as to what is going on around them, they will not notice your gun. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insecure with more security...

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashfarm View Post
    I think people are so oblivious as to what is going on around them, they will not notice your gun.
    I agree, the 1st time I open carried, (legal here in Tennessee), my G27 into our Wal*Mart, I was extremely paranoid. I felt as though all eyes were on me, but I quickly realized only 1 or 2 people seemed to notice that I was even wearing a gun. Now that I have open carried for a while, it just does not bother me any longer. I realized no one really pays that much attention, and for those that do notice, they don't seem to care.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Perhaps it’s the subconscious of responsibility. It does force you to look at people and situations differently. Likewise, I agree with another poster’ that a good secure holster may help to diminish that initial uncomfortable feeling.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Check out how many folks have bulges from cellphone, pagers, leatherman, or other on the belt items. Unless you are printing enough that folks can read the serial number through your cover, you do not stand out.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Check out how many folks have bulges from cellphone, pagers, leatherman, or other on the belt items. Unless you are printing enough that folks can read the serial number through your cover, you do not stand out.
    thats true, my friend asked me why do I need a cellphone in each hip, after that I stoped caring about printing.

after some time it's going to be the other way around when you dont have it, remember to laugh when that happens.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

I was OK initially, first case of jitters when I happened upon a LEO at the store, he came up asking me about my car, just admiring it, not in an official manner mind you. Now, these fine people are trained to spot MWG, so after exchanging pleasantries, he walked to his car and I was much relieved. I figured after that, if the nice officer didn't know I was carrying, the general public would be many times as oblivious. In time, you will forget you have it on, it really does become a part of you.

I have a cell phone, PDA, and Flashlight on the front (both sides) of my belt. I also use a belly bag to carry a second pair of eyeglasses and some medications with me. My IWB pistol doesn't print through a sweatshirt nearly as much as the rest of my gear. I look like a DORK, but there is so much visual clutter for people to look at, that no one seems to notice that I have a very small bulge at 3:30 on my waist.

I just go about my business as though I did not have a gun on my person. Act normal and no one will notice you. It is your behavior that draws attention to yourself, not the printing of a gun. If you are nervous and jittery, people will wonder why, and start paying a lot of attention to you; that is when they will notice anything unusual about your appearance.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    It took me a week or two to calm down, but now it's just another accessory. Wallet - check. Keys - check. Holster - check. Pistol - check. Shoe's tied - check.....

Just give it time, and know that most folks wouldn't know what they were looking at IF they were staring at you AND you were printing horribly. Just make the effort not to print and you'll be fine.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I'm not sure what it is the OP is insecure about . If you'd let us know what you are worried about it would help. Is it that you are worried about printing, or getting involved in a situation where you're unsure what to do ? Questions about where you can or can't carry ? people have covered several avenues but honestly, no one really knows what you're asking without some detail.

You and your weapon are far less visible than you think you are. Most people have no idea.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    It takes most of us a little while to get used to carrying. It took me a couple of weeks. Now, it's a part of me. If I were to go out without at least 1 of my guns (I frequently carry 2) I feel naked. Trust us, it will be the most natural thing in the world very shortly!

VIP Member
    You'll be fine, just give it some time. Also, if you can get some training it'll help too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You can carry full size pistols or large frame revolvers and as long as they are not out in the open people are oblivious. Most people today are so self involved that unless it has something to do with them it does not exist, and that is why so many people are victims, they never pay attention to their surroundings

I think what I am experiencing is pretty normal. I feel better every time I go out. It's just the awkwardness of knowing i'm carrying a gun. I sure have made a lot of unnecessary trips out of the house in the last week. :)

I was a little paranoid for a few days too. Getting a good holster really helped.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Just like riding a bike, the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links