Insecure with more security...

This is a discussion on Insecure with more security... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying for four days now and I must say that I'm very insecure with my new security. I already feel better than my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insecure with more security...

I've been carrying for four days now and I must say that I'm very insecure with my new security. I already feel better than my first trip to wally world. I've modified my carrying techniques significantly for different situations and have found that there is much to learn for beginning CCers. My first dog walk was the longest short walk i've ever had. Constant paranoia. How long have these feelings lasted for all of you???

What are you so insecure about? Besides, you're the one with the gun!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I've been carrying for about 2.5 years now I believe and every now and then I get a little paranoia but its pretty much gone. No one comes running at me w/ an officer of the law in tow. No one points at me and says there's an evil man with a gun. I feel safer knowing that I don't have to always be a victim and that I, to an extent, have the ability to choose how I meet my maker if need be. Its to the point now that if I'm not carrying I feel naked and paranoid about my gun being back wherever I left and and constantly saying all I have is a pocket knife what am I going to do with that, clean the bg's finger nails? Give it time you'll get over the initial paranoia. Some take longer than others. If I had to guess I was good to go after a couple weeks and finding the ideal spot to carry. Having a good holster will help you out a lot mentally as well

So long as your weapon is well concealed there is nothing to worry about. I feel much more safe and secure with either my SP101 or Sig P229 riding comfortably on my hip.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I just switched EDC firearms and free better with this a snubby conceals better for me in jeans and a tee (no normal not at work attire). Once you find that sweet spot on your hip or get your rig adjusted right everything gets better. I have been carrying less than a year and my paranoia went away relatively quick after my rig was set up where I like it. the more you carry the better it gets. Keep going back to more WWWs or going to other semi crowded gun friendly places and you will become more comfortable.

good call one the sp101 CEW58 the 2 1/4 barrel models disappear on your hip easy.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I was just the opposite... now that I carry, I feel MUCH more secure... it felt right from day one.

Give it a couple weeks, Wildcat... I'll bet the first two weeks of driving, you were cautious and worried and a little intimidated by this giant piece of steel... but after a couple of weeks, you relax and it becomes second nature...

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I've had my Concealed Carry Permit for about 2mnths. now. I've never felt self insecure the least about carrying my weapon. I am 6ft. 4in 280lbs. so I don't worry to much about a beat down only worry I have is getting shot/robbed/carjacked. I don't really worry about that all that much but I know it can happen and it really doesn't matter what size you are either. These pplz out here are crazy and unpredictable and I am too.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuwildcat View Post
    I've been carrying for four days now and I must say that I'm very insecure with my new security. I already feel better than my first trip to wally world. I've modified my carrying techniques significantly for different situations and have found that there is much to learn for beginning CCers. My first dog walk was the longest short walk i've ever had. Constant paranoia. How long have these feelings lasted for all of you???
    Please clarify...
    Gun too heavy?
    Holster moving?
    Loose belt?

What exactly is making you feel insecure?
    Explain your CCW info...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Every person I have met that doesn't carry is completely clueless about it. I carry all the time, at work around my family, etc. My wife is the only one that busts me, everyone else has no clue at all. Just pretend it isn't there..

Insecure with more security

I think people are so oblivious as to what is going on around them, they will not notice your gun.

Give it a little time, before long you wont even be thinking about your weapon. It will be like your wallet or keys in your pocket. Everyone is different, most will have the feelings pass in a couple months.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Make it part of your routine, and it will soon feel as normal as putting on pants or shaving. One piece of advice - you mention you change your carry style depending on the situation; I personally don't like that. I carry my gun(s) in the exact same way, in the exact same location(s), every time I carry them. I train to draw from those locations, so that's where I will always expect them to be. If you change around a lot, from say appendix, to cross draw, to strong side, to SOB, it makes it difficult to build muscle memory.

Just something to chew on, and just MHO.

What kind of firearm do you have?

Maybe its too big/bulky and you feel it
    might be spotted easy?

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    You will get so that your firearm is a natural part of you. What you don't understand is that 90% or more of folks wouldn't see your gun if you had it around your neck as long as you are calm.

the first 2 months I carried without a round in the chamber. Now I would never carry without one in the chamber. Most people could care less and pay no attention to you. You will adjust and make the actual carrying more comfortable.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links