14 (Updated to 1)truck drivers arrested in TN....Title updated to correct info... - Page 2

14 (Updated to 1)truck drivers arrested in TN....Title updated to correct info...

This is a discussion on 14 (Updated to 1)truck drivers arrested in TN....Title updated to correct info... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the most likely culprit is this sort of mentality: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ut-permit.html...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14 (Updated to 1)truck drivers arrested in TN....Title updated to correct info...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I think the most likely culprit is this sort of mentality:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ut-permit.html

Still can't find an answer. It's weird that the LEOs would target the truck drivers like that. It might be a rumor. You know how rumors spread. Maybe they were arrested due to they way they stored the gun in the truck. Need some more info.

There has to be more to the story, most weight stations randomly pull over less than 20% unless there is obvious cause. So out of 100 trucks 20 get pulled and 14 get arrested for guns? 1000 trucks go through, they pull 200 and 14 get napped for guns still sounds fishy. I spent some time in weigh stations in Sac and Stockton and their was no way we could look at 200 trucks in a day; even the trucks we did look at we rarely looked in the cab for anything less than a log book...

Here's a link. There was not 14 arrested but one for a weapon. But still not enough info on why he was arrested to make any kind of judgement call.

I'm not worried about the one arrested.

I just want to give my buddy something in writing that since he has his permit, he will be ok. AND I can find nothing that says that. I have looked every where and find people answering both ways LEO Lawyers, but no one says here it is in writing.. Eveyone just gives opinions. I would hate to tell him it OK, and him find his butt in jail.

THP Conducts Roadside Inspection in Haywood County | TN.gov Newsroom

THP Conducts Roadside Inspection in Haywood County
    Released on Thu, Apr 30, 2009 - 2:09 pm under Safety
    NASHVILLE ––- The Tennessee Highway Patrol placed 14 commercial vehicles out-of-service Wednesday, April 29, 2009, during a Roadside Inspection Checkpoint in Haywood County. The joint Roadside Inspection effort, in conjunction with the Tennessee Trucking Association, is designed to educate the industry on commercial vehicle safety and compliance with motor carrier laws. Industry representatives participated in Wednesday’s event.

During the Roadside Inspection at the Haywood County Scale complex in Brownsville, Tennessee, 38 percent of the 37 commercial vehicles inspected were placed out-of-service.

“Roadside inspections in conjunction with the trucking industry contribute to overall highway safety by educating commercial vehicle drivers,” said Department of Safety Commissioner Dave Mitchell. “The Tennessee Highway Patrol conducts regular commercial vehicle inspections to give the industry a better understanding of THP enforcement of federal and state regulations regarding commercial vehicles and drivers.”

Two drivers were placed out-of-service, and one was cited for possession of alcohol and another driver was cited for possession of weapon in a commercial motor vehicle. During the inspection period, the Level 1 and Level 2 inspections found 21 out-of-service defects and issued 12 citations.

THP Colonel Mike Walker stated, “Roadside inspection events stress the importance of commercial vehicle safety. THP wants to ensure that large trucks traveling through our state are operating in compliance with state and federal laws, which makes the roads safer for everyone.”
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

These guys are right about it being a state law. Some states don't mind (mostly in the south). I drive also and I have been vexed by that situation. If commercial pilots can carry, and they have air marshals. Why can't we? We truly are sometimes the first line of defense!
    Luke 22:36 says, Then He [Jesus] said to them ...and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.(NKJV)

Did the driver of the truck have a license to carry concealed? I doubt it since there is no Federal Law against carrying in a commercial vehicle.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    There are only 49 states?
    Actually, there are fewer than 49 because Virginia, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania are commonwealths.

The truth of the matter ends up far less interesting than the fiction....usually the case. In a couple of days the story would have been," Truckers Rounded up and disarmed throughout TN, 300 arrested with weapons, 2 with the makings of a Nuke"....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    The truth of the matter ends up far less interesting than the fiction....usually the case. In a couple of days the story would have been," Truckers Rounded up and disarmed throughout TN, 300 arrested with weapons, 2 with the makings of a Nuke"....lol.

Ture about the fiction, BUT all along and STILL need to find out what the LAW says. I can find nothing in writing, yet one driver was citied. So it must be aaginst some kind of law...........
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    The 49 states comes from the interstate commerce with a truck portion of the discussion. When I checked Google maps today there was still no darn bridge to Hawaii.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

TankDriver,
    Perhaps the problem was something with that one driver,maybe he couldn't legally have a gun, maybe it was a sawed-off shotgun...something along those lines ?

I'm a little confused. Where in the article does it say that the truck driver was cited for carrying a FIREARM? Answer - not at all. That is an assumption that you are making. The article says that he was carrying a weapon.

1st you need to define what is a weapon in Tennessee. For example could a tire-knocker be considered a weapon (club)? Was the driver wearing a switchblade knife on his belt? Did the driver have a "hoax" weapon displayed in his truck (a hand grenade lighter or other "fake" device).

After figuring that out....there are many other questions to answer before you head off screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling."

Also think about truck driver attitude. Many things that could be considered a weapon are invisible until the driver displays an attitude that brings the inside of his truck to Law Enforcements attention.

I see this as a non-issue.

Those rumors sure grow fast. It sounds more like the troopers were checking the trucks for safety. My son drives an 18 wheeler and he said he has never been checked for a weapon in the cab.

Another trucker here. I've never had the inside of my cab inspected. Weigh stations are looking for safety issues. So are the DOT officers.

If this guy got popped for a weapons violation it was more than likely tied in with some other issue.

The only time I've seen a truck totally inspected, inside cab etc., was once when a trucker had passengers hiding in his sleeper and got caught entering a secure (federally restricted) area. He was caught because he also had a fake license. The cops were looking for anybody with a particular license. It seems they caught a bunch of drivers running out of the Miami area using the same license!

Quote Originally Posted by mpitcock View Post
    I'm a little confused. Where in the article does it say that the truck driver was cited for carrying a FIREARM? Answer - not at all. That is an assumption that you are making. The article says that he was carrying a weapon.

1st you need to define what is a weapon in Tennessee. For example could a tire-knocker be considered a weapon (club)? Was the driver wearing a switchblade knife on his belt? Did the driver have a "hoax" weapon displayed in his truck (a hand grenade lighter or other "fake" device).

After figuring that out....there are many other questions to answer before you head off screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling."

Also think about truck driver attitude. Many things that could be considered a weapon are invisible until the driver displays an attitude that brings the inside of his truck to Law Enforcements attention.

I see this as a non-issue.

Most excellent observation. In some states (At least MI, that I know of), we have a concealed pistol license. We may not carry knives, tazers, nunchucks, ninja swords, etc as weapons)...people have been charged with weapons posession for billy clubs between/under the seats...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links