14 (Updated to 1)truck drivers arrested in TN....Title updated to correct info...

14 (Updated to 1)truck drivers arrested in TN....Title updated to correct info...

This is a discussion on 14 (Updated to 1)truck drivers arrested in TN....Title updated to correct info... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LEO, Lawyers, anybody who knows, question.... A friend of mine who is a commerical driver said that yesterday 14 commerical truck drivers were arrested at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LEO, Lawyers, anybody who knows, question....

A friend of mine who is a commerical driver said that yesterday 14 commerical truck drivers were arrested at a weigh station in Brownsville TN. This is just east of Memphis on I-40 for having a pistol in their truck.

Does anyone know the law on this? I thought that if you have a permit, and had your companies premission, it was OK.

TN honors all states permits, so that should not have been a problem....

Any help appericated.

updated info......

THP Conducts Roadside Inspection in Haywood County | TN.gov Newsroom

THP Conducts Roadside Inspection in Haywood County
    Released on Thu, Apr 30, 2009 - 2:09 pm under Safety
    NASHVILLE ––- The Tennessee Highway Patrol placed 14 commercial vehicles out-of-service Wednesday, April 29, 2009, during a Roadside Inspection Checkpoint in Haywood County. The joint Roadside Inspection effort, in conjunction with the Tennessee Trucking Association, is designed to educate the industry on commercial vehicle safety and compliance with motor carrier laws. Industry representatives participated in Wednesday’s event.

During the Roadside Inspection at the Haywood County Scale complex in Brownsville, Tennessee, 38 percent of the 37 commercial vehicles inspected were placed out-of-service.

“Roadside inspections in conjunction with the trucking industry contribute to overall highway safety by educating commercial vehicle drivers,” said Department of Safety Commissioner Dave Mitchell. “The Tennessee Highway Patrol conducts regular commercial vehicle inspections to give the industry a better understanding of THP enforcement of federal and state regulations regarding commercial vehicles and drivers.”

Two drivers were placed out-of-service, and one was cited for possession of alcohol and another driver was cited for possession of weapon in a commercial motor vehicle. During the inspection period, the Level 1 and Level 2 inspections found 21 out-of-service defects and issued 12 citations.

THP Colonel Mike Walker stated, “Roadside inspection events stress the importance of commercial vehicle safety. THP wants to ensure that large trucks traveling through our state are operating in compliance with state and federal laws, which makes the roads safer for everyone.”
    Last edited by tankdriver; May 2nd, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Correction
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I'm not an expert but from what I know it it not legal to have any gun in a vehicle which requires a CDL license to drive. I believe that is a federal law covering all 49 states.

This was part of the new (not that new) law that standardized licensing between all states to prevent truckers from operating with miltiple state permits.

I've often wondered which liberal got this bumped into the CDL rules. probably the same left leaning liberal that was keeping us from carrying in federal parks I'm guessing.

BTY if you are driving a 1ton pickup and have commercial plates on it to save on Lic. fees you just may fall into this rule as well. Esp. if your pulling a trailer rated at over 10,000 lbs. There are a number of rules involved here but you have to know your pushing the edge of the law with this setup.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Wow, this is interesting, and something to look up..

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I'm not an expert but from what I know it it not legal to have any gun in a vehicle which requires a CDL license to drive. I believe that is a federal law covering all 49 states.

This was part of the new (not that new) law that standardized licensing between all states to prevent truckers from operating with miltiple state permits.

I've often wondered which liberal got this bumped into the CDL rules. probably the same left leaning liberal that was keeping us from carrying in federal parks I'm guessing.

BTY if you are driving a 1ton pickup and have commercial plates on it to save on Lic. fees you just may fall into this rule as well. Esp. if your pulling a trailer rated at over 10,000 lbs. There are a number of rules involved here but you have to know your pushing the edge of the law with this setup.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Wrong.. I drive truck and have been for 16 years and i CC in truck and have been stopped many times and they all knew I had mine on me and i have never had a problem. I have many friends that carry when drivin.. I think there is much more with that deal then what is known..
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I would like to see at least an online news story to corroborate the alleged arrests.

Incorrect. There is no such law.

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation's webpage:

"Carrying concealed weapons is a matter of state law. Your question can best be answered by the appropriate state government. Links to state government web sites are available on:"

State Transportation Web Sites

here is the link for the DOT FAQ page:

Answer
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I would like to see at least an online news story to corroborate the alleged arrests.
    I'm not sure it has made the news. My friend just did not want to get arrested. so i told him this was a good website for information.

Not trying to start a panic or anything. does not really matter anyway, just what is the law????

Quote Originally Posted by badmojo View Post
    According to the U.S. Department of Transportation's webpage:

"Carrying concealed weapons is a matter of state law. Your question can best be answered by the appropriate state government. Links to state government web sites are available on:"

State Transportation Web Sites

here is the link for the DOT FAQ page:

Answer
    Thanks,

Knew I'd get him the information he needed here....

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

It's an answer I'd like to know as well. I know the FMCSR doesn't ban it, but I don' do it. There's too many places I go or could be sent to to try and keep up with all of their individual state, city, and county laws.

For instance, I spent two days this week making runs from Chicago to Milwaukee and back, two cites in the two states that don't allow concealed carry at all. Also, my EDC (when at home) is a 16+1 pistol. While I'm not sure about Wisconsin, I know Illinois doesn't allow anything over 10 rounds, so what would happen if I got inspected at the weigh station? There's just too many variables involved in carrying in a commercial vehicle, which keeps alot of us unarmed, which of course helps make us perfect targets for anyone who would want to rob us...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

What's that?

There are only 49 states?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    harder then heck to do inter state driving to Hawaii. last time i looked the flood waters were still too high. LOL.

i do know it's not legal in Minnesots. so i thought it was probably a fed. thing. sorry My BAD.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    There are only 49 states?
    Wrong...

Don't you know ANYTHING?
    Even our fearless leader knows that there are '57'...Sheeeeeesh!

Stay armed...know your geography...stay safe!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP...I know lots of truckers who legally carry...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OK followed link and there is no federal law about carring in a commercial vehicle. Found that in writing.

I have read, searched, and checked the TN web site for over 2 hours, and can find nothing on carring in a commercial vehicle.

I have searched the web with google, and the answers on the web go both ways from LEO, DOT officers, and truckers.

Can ANYBODY find anything on the TN webpage so I can tell him fact, not just what we have been told.

It's funny how hard it is to find anything in writing.......

Just being silly, but perhaps they didn't have a license to carry from any state...the question on my mind is how were these pistols discovered?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Just being silly, but perhaps they didn't have a license to carry from any state...the question on my mind is how were these pistols discovered?
    They stoped at the Weigh Station. DOT check Point. Not sure if it is a check they are doing at all the check points or not. Also buddy did not say, or if he knows if they had permits or not.

He has a permit, and he just wanted to be sure he was covered.

If they were carring with out a permit, they were at fault.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links