VFW and Concealed Carry

VFW and Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on VFW and Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched the VFW site and the WV Attorney General Site on CC at a local VFW. WV law prohibits carry on Federal property. Is ...

Thread: VFW and Concealed Carry

VFW and Concealed Carry

I searched the VFW site and the WV Attorney General Site on CC at a local VFW. WV law prohibits carry on Federal property. Is a VFW considered Federal?

Reason being, one of the bands I play drums for has rehearsals in the ballroom of a local VFW. We do not play in the lounge area where alchohol is served. Most of the band and guests do not partake of anything stronger than a soda or coffee.

The problem was me and the bassist arrived at the same time and some rather weird character came up on a bycicle and began to engage us in conversation about us, our equipment, where we play, etc. I got a strange feeling about this fellow. I wasn't carrying, because I was unclear about if we can or cannot in a VFW. The irony is that this particular one is sandwiched in between the Police station and a local homeless-down on your luck shelter. I just didn't feel safe and the bass player made the comment that if we would have been assulted, that even with the cops being that close, they really wouldn't be able to help. He said that he wished he could carry a weapon!

Is there any information anywhere that will spell out if I can or cannot at the VFW. I really would like to know.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VFW is not federal property. They provide their own space.
    Semper Fi

Federal property laws do not apply. Ask the local VFW President, but I have never found any that would restrict carry.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

What they said.

VIP Member
    VFW like the American Legion are private membership organizations and have no official link with the government. Unless prohibited by state law due to alcohol being served or a chapter rule your good to go.

Thumbs up

Thank you all very much for the information.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I don't think the law is well enough written to construe it to read, "CWP holders can't carry in building that have a license to sell alcohol for consumption; but it's OK to carry on those premises where patrons don't consume alcohol."

Best to leave it in the car or wherever it will be close but legal in my best opinion. See you really do understand the law as it is written. To bend it towad your favor, you show your intend to disregard the law, making you a criminal.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    I don't think the law is well enough written to construe it to read, "CWP holders can't carry in building that have a license to sell alcohol for consumption; but it's OK to carry on those premises where patrons don't consume alcohol."

Best to leave it in the car or wherever it will be close but legal in my best opinion. See you really do understand the law as it is written. To bend it towad your favor, you show your intend to disregard the law, making you a criminal.
    You're from SC where carry in alcohol serving establishments is prohibited.

The OP is from WV where carry in those establishments is not prohibited.

The OP would be legally allowed to carry while playing at the "V." Commenting on your situation does not answer the OP's question.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    You're from SC where carry in alcohol serving establishments is prohibited.

The OP is from WV where carry in those establishments is not prohibited.

The OP would be legally allowed to carry while playing at the "V." Commenting on your situation does not answer the OP's question.
    OK then, sorry. Assumed he would know the law. Because of the question I assumed me could not carry there to begin with.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    OK then, sorry. Assumed he would know the law. Because of the question I assumed me could not carry there to begin with.
    His primary question was related to carry on federal property. There was the misconception that a VFW was federal property, it is not. It is privately owned.

The secondary issue about carrying in an establishment serving alcohol would be mandated by each person's individual state laws. Hence my clarification about his state allowing CC where alcohol is served.

Here in Texas carry vs no carry is based on the establishments income percentage. If 51% of their gross receipts come from alcohol sales it is a no carry area and must have a 51% sign at the door to inform CCr's.

PBK 380

You will only be restricted by the 'individual' state laws concerning signs and/or alcohol...that's pretty much it.

Stay armed...know your state's laws...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links