Restricted permit (NY)

This is a discussion on Restricted permit (NY) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bruce45, I have an unrestricted permit in Albany co...not an easy thing to get. After several letters to the judge, additional safety courses and an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restricted permit (NY)

Tips for Restrictions removal

Bruce45,

I have an unrestricted permit in Albany co...not an easy thing to get.

After several letters to the judge, additional safety courses and an advanced handgun law enforcement course I received my unrestricted permit.

I suggest that you look into the post I made months ago in the training section for Rayburn Law Enforcement training. Send the course summary to him and ask him if it would suffice to receive an unrestricted permit upon successful completion.

State your reasons clearly in your letter for the "need" for the permit both for personal protection and job related if appropriate. Be courteous and professional. Send in a completed copy of the required amendment forms. Attach a resume of your gun handling and safety experience and the number of years you have been shooting. The more training and safety courses the better. Additional character references, especially from any community/political connections may help. Do you shoot IDPA? Do you want to shoot out of state and get an out of state license that requires an unrestricted licence from your home state?

Just a few ideas. Write a really good, thorough letter with attachments. You will have to work for it and let the judge know you are willing to do so. Also, has the judge issued unrestricted permits in the past? If so, ask him what criteria was used. Let us know how you make out.

Oh, and are you a member of the NRA and NYSRPA?

If not, don't ask for any more advice unless you are willing to hold up your end with helping to change things in NYS.

2. Remove Ads

Broome Co is probably still a pain to get unrestricted; a business owner/friend of mine kept trying for some years before His Lordship Judge Matthews finally issued a permission slip...

If you get the hankerin' to move to Az, it's not a bad place, thought the Flagstaff area seems to be turning into NY...think I've been panhandled here more than the five years I lived in Manhattan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links