Restricted permit (NY)

This is a discussion on Restricted permit (NY) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I have a restricted permit (which is a bunch of BS concidering what ya gotta go through in NY) and I plan on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restricted permit (NY)

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Restricted permit (NY)

Ok, so I have a restricted permit (which is a bunch of BS concidering what ya gotta go through in NY) and I plan on writing the issueing Judge a letter requesting him to remove the restrictions (my permit says "For Hunting and target Shooting and Transporting a Wepon Therefore) Now does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should say in my nice polite letter to the Judge? Keep in mind in NY you have to fill out a application, get 4 references (who aren't related), pay $100 when you turn in the application, take a 3 hour safety course at the tune of $25, get fingerprinted for $15 and wait about 3 months (on the average, I had to wait 11 weeks) for the backround check. Now with all this BS you gotta go through they give out restricted permits Anyone got any ideas? i would like to be able to carry concealed legally incase push ever comes to shove.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    does your area give out general CCw permits to anyone? MI didn't used to and we had to put up with it. Now we are shall issue, luckily. Good luck, but sorry no advice.

I think the county you live in has more to do with restrictions than anything else.In my county (Steuben)permits with no restrictions are the norm!

Yes warren county is giving all restricted permits now, after a CCW permit holder was at a local bar, and got drunk and was flashing his wepon. But this ignorance on his part shouldn't effect the rest of us. If the FBI says go ahead and give this guy a permit then why does a local Judge get to throw a restriction on it?
    the only people who get a CCW right off the bat are business owners.

Both of my parents had restricted permits and had them ammended to remove the restrictions in Oneida county. In their case a new judge was in office and was handing out unrestricted permits so they had it easy.

My advice would be to take some training beyond what you were required to take (NRA basic pistol safety course, i think its an 8 hour thing) before you try and get restrictions removed.

Although there is no specific right granted to the judge by law to apply restrictions on permits it has gone to court in the past and upheld each time.

I'm not familiar with warren county at all but if they restrict all permits i have a feeling that you won't get it. I think its worth a try though.

The restriction thing is silly altogether. I know people who have permits in Onondaga Co. Not only do they have "For Hunting and target Shooting and Transporting" on their permit, but they have "premises" on there permit as well. Seems there is horror story of people in N.Y.S. with restriction permits that get arrested for having a handgun in there home. They were arrested because their permit said nothing about having a handgun on their premises! I don’t know if the stories are true, but knowing N.Y.S., I wouldn’t be surprised.

Bruce45,I'm in Westchester county.I had to wait 9 months for mine.From what I understand of the law in NY(and it's not easy to understand).NY state law either issues or denies the permit,the county judges are the ones who puts restrictions on the permits.I've tried to get my business permit down here and they want letters from the bank that I make large cash deposits,3 months worth of deposit slips,notorized letters from my wife and myself that I make the deposits.I'll have to wait another 3 months to see if I'm allowed the amenment.This is total insanity.Heres a good read.It's time we get real here in NY or our rights will be totally gone

http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/Novak1.html

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My worthless .02 is move to colorado where we have no restricted permits and we could use you to help offset the influx of california bilssninnys lol

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    My worthless .02 is move to colorado where we have no restricted permits and we could use you to help offset the influx of california bilssninnys lol
    I tell ya something brother, once I have no reason to stay in NY my arse is moving out west where there is no snow, no damn salty roads, no restricted permits, and no ban on topless wemen

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    You mean to tell me, that all this time Monkey Man didn't have a permit?!?!?

You think you know somebody....
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Sorry Bruce but if all the permits there issuing are restricted you are screwed

I tell ya something brother, once I have no reason to stay in NY my arse is moving out west where there is no snow, no damn salty roads, no restricted permits, and no ban on topless wemen
    Yep I can relate to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    Um, yeah....CO might not be that place out west lol.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A10063

read that and mail your representative.

If I were in your situation I would wait and see if this bill passes. If it does, it might give you some additional leverage in getting your restrictions removed.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    You mean to tell me, that all this time Monkey Man didn't have a permit?!?!?

You think you know somebody....
    I have a permit, it is just stamped restricted cause our countys Judge is a gun hater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links