Concealed Carry on College Campuses

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry on College Campuses within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work part-time on the campus of a private college here in AZ. We have no carry laws on school grounds, but by AZ laws ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry on College Campuses

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I work part-time on the campus of a private college here in AZ. We have no carry laws on school grounds, but by AZ laws that means k-12. Our public colleges and universities have a no firearms policy, but the private sector can do what they want.

I am a big believer in living under authority, so I made sure my department head and the academic dean were okay with my carry. I have never had a problem. Now all I need to do is get the dean of students to quit being irrational and remove the language in the student handbook prohibiting students from carrying.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

You bet!

Quote Originally Posted by budman430 View Post
    .... Do you support CC on college campuses? I would love to here some opinions on this.
    IMHO -- All public colleges should allow carry according to that State's laws applicable to a public street.

FWIIW, I think that except for limited enumerated locations (e.g., detention facilities & courthouses) ALL State and local buildings and facilities should be treated the same as a public street.

I also think that in those enumerated locations they should be required to provide a place to check/secure your gun at the door -- as NH does at their courthouses. No need to go unarmed to go there, disarm in your car, etc -- just be unarmed when in the facility.

Now, as for private owned colleges, facilities, hospitals, businesses, etc, I think we need to balance their rights against the individual's RKBA. A good balance would be that they should require a clear prescribed posting at all points of entry and be required to carry/assume specific liability for any injury or death on their premises resulting from a criminal act. If someone (employee, student, patient, visitor, etc) is disarmed by their policy they should be responsible for that persons safety while in their "unarmed victim zone."

Maybe some day

Don't be stopped by "It will never be." Keep asking "Why not."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I'm with DaveH to an extent. Provide me with Armed Security or let me provide my own. Given the choice, I'll take my own. a college campus or any school should be no different than any other place. Do we suddenly become blood thirsty monsters near a school ? Absurd.

I am for it. I have a lobbyist friend in Austin who is now working for this in TX.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I'm with DaveH to an extent. Provide me with Armed Security or let me provide my own. Given the choice, I'll take my own. A college campus or any school should be no different than any other place. Do we suddenly become blood thirsty monsters near a school ? Absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I'm with DaveH to an extent. Provide me with Armed Security or let me provide my own. Given the choice, I'll take my own. a college campus or any school should be no different than any other place. Do we suddenly become blood thirsty monsters near a school ? Absurd.
    I agree with this. The university I work at has armed guards, but they are just like police, cant be everywhere all the time and mostly clean up messes instead of preventing them.

I'd rather have the ability to protect my own skin.

Here's hoping.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

I definitely support cc on campus. im a student at a large university and wish that I had the ability to defend myself if need be.

I'm all for CCW on campus.It's about time.

I absolutely support it. My two sons, one in college and one out, know how to handle a firearm. They are aware of the heavy responsibility that comes with being armed. My youngest son attends VT and I wish that carrying was available to him. Personaly, I am more comfortable when I know he can protect himself.

I am all for it. Back when I was in college I was your friendly local RA. During the summer the only person with me on rounds was Mr. Police radio. So there I am walking around in the dark with a flashlight by myself. I asked if I could carry anything, even a Tazer or some chemical spray. University turned me down and told me I would be put on disciplinary probation if they caught me with it.

So one night I am doing rounds and I turn the corner to find 40 some odd softball and baseball players getting wasted in front of their dorms. I radio for help and I stand up as tall as I can and start telling them to get inside. I didn't care if they drank, but they were not doing it outside (illegal). The first couple groups got up and went in, but when the others saw what was happening they started to crowd on me. The police come flying around the corner with their lights on and everyone jets.
    The problem is some jet for their rooms and some jet to their cars. LEO tells me to stop them (I knew him well) which I do and nearly get hit (both by car and by fists). We start at each room and bring out every drop we can find and toss it into bags and then put them in the back of his SUV. We get about 5 big hefty bags full before we realize we can't really load any more up. The peanut gallery turns up to tell the LEO and me what they think of us.
    So there I am with my back to the wall next to the LEO with 20 some odd drunk idiots closing in on us . Crap starts flying, empty liquor bottles, cans, and anything else handy. The LEO flips out on them and after about a 5 minute stand off they calm down when backup arrives.
    After the police report and helping them unload the booze everyone goes to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of my living room getting turned on its head. I radio it in and brace my door and pray they don't come any further. I was cornered and I had no means of defense. They banged on the door a couple times and called me a ****** and a few other sticks and stones words and fled before the police showed up.
    I left the RA business after that semester. I would argue that people who have a carry permit should be permitted to carry. Maybe a separate permit given by the university similar to a shall issue. The reason I say this is that some students end up with bad records on campus that are not necessarily reflected in their criminal record. Half of the people we busted that night never saw it on their criminal record, but just about all of them saw it added to their University record. By shall issue I mean you go up to the dean fill out a short form, he checks your record and your carry permit and stamps it that day.

If you are old enough to die in defense of our Nation in some foreign rat hole. You are old enough to defend your own life in this nation by any means you see fit any where you see fit. Without qualification, license, registration, permit or permission. The right to defend your life is a sacred right granted all living beings on the planet no government or organization has the authority to over ride Our Creator whether you call that God or nature
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Support on a college campus? Most definitely, as well as on any K-12 school campus. I'm against ANY "gun-safe zone".

Stay armed...hopefully in school too, someday...stay safe!
    Great response!
    +1
    +1

I am a full-time student at Clemson University in South Carolina. We have leisure skills courses that include rifle shooting, shotgun shooting. there are 6 sections of 16 people for rifle shooting, and 3 for shotgun. as well as a womens only shotgun class.

I am currently pursuing my concealed carry permit, having said that, i am against concealed carry on campus. for people that uncomfortable around guns, i feel it's too distracting for them. but maybe i just go to a school in the middle of no where, where i feel perfectly safe.

Full time student and while I'm at the University of Kentucky I'm also a full time victim. I am employed with the univeristy as an RA as well. Someone has to keep these guys out of trouble.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links