Concealed Carry on College Campuses

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry on College Campuses within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a grad student at a major university in Texas and a new bill could make concealed carry on campus legal. I, personally, am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am a grad student at a major university in Texas and a new bill could make concealed carry on campus legal. I, personally, am very much in favor of this; however, I attend a large, private, baptist-affiliated university, which because of its private status, would be able to override and not support this rule, if put into act. What do you all think about this? Do you support CC on college campuses? I would love to here some opinions on this.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    CC on Campus Im all for it. Sadly I know to many jokes about those with college educations.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I'm for it also, I hope someday Oklahoma will allow us to carry on any school grounds. My son is in the 1st grade and security is very low, also I don't like having to disarm before I go into pick him up or drop him off.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Another one here completely in favor of CCW on campus!

I hope it passes. If it passes in one state and there is no river of blood on campus, just like with the passage of carry legislation in the past in all the states, then the more likely that other states will pass similar campus carry laws!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    wish they would pass that in Alabama!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

It makes perfect sense from my point of view. It the state already allows you to carry off campus, why not ON campus?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Support on a college campus? Most definitely, as well as on any K-12 school campus. I'm against ANY "gun-safe zone".

Stay armed...hopefully in school too, someday...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll have to check to be sure, but I think I can carry on campus at Virginia Tech when I go back to visit and for sporting events. I think the only ones that can't carry are the students which in hindsight are the ones that need to be carrying. I haven't been back on campus since I got my CCL so I'll have to make sure. Being a grad of VT I was sick watching all of the coverage of the shootings on TV all the while thinking if just one person had been carrying a gun for protection then maybe a lot of people would've been saved. Some folks argue another gun would've just made things worse, but I'm not sure how it could have gotten worse than it was. I have to believe there would've been far less stones on the drill field memorial.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purwater View Post
    I'll have to check to be sure, but I think I can carry on campus at Virginia Tech when I go back to visit and for sporting events. I think the only ones that can't carry are the students which in hindsight are the ones that need to be carrying. I haven't been back on campus since I got my CCL so I'll have to make sure. Being a grad of VT I was sick watching all of the coverage of the shootings on TV all the while thinking if just one person had been carrying a gun for protection then maybe a lot of people would've been saved. Some folks argue another gun would've just made things worse, but I'm not sure how it could have gotten worse than it was. I have to believe there would've been far less stones on the drill field memorial.
    State law does not prohibit carry at VT, it is school policy. Unless posted, legally, all they can do is ask you to leave, if you refuse you can be charged with trespassing.

Of course if someone sees a gun on you, the police are going to be called, the campus locked down and you will spend many hours at the police station explaining over and over and over why you had a gun.

I work at a private college in MO, and our House has passed a resolution for CC on campus. It still has to go through the Senate and then the Governor, and will likely fail in one of those realms.

I definitely support CC on campus, but I can tell you that most people that work on college campuses do not. I believe that in most situations, if a campus has the opportunity to deny CC on campus - they will do so.

I agree with CC everywhere except on airplanes, or restricted areas that have security and metal detectors.

IMHO to deny CC to law abiders and not have a "check" for those who are are not abiding the law, is negligent.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Support on a college campus? Most definitely, as well as on any K-12 school campus. I'm against ANY "gun-safe zone".

Stay armed...hopefully in school too, someday...stay safe!
    Regarding the above and speaking as a college teacher all I can say is

ME TOO!!!

esp. "I'm against ANY "gun-safe zone"

I'm also against carry permits - a permit is a license issued by the State - we already have the right, why do we need State approval?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I agree with CC in ALL places. If we have to go through all the checks and background stuff - etc. We have already proven to not be a "problem child".

I'm an elementary teacher - and the thought of some whack job, or a rival gang member doing a hit - really concerns me. Too bad I can't carry on campus.

It isn't a specific district policy - it is a state law. However, I'm hoping that Texas college CC will pass - and the state will follow-up by allowing law abiding teachers who have their CHL to also carry.

SAfer for students, parents - and of course the teachers.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by colddedhands View Post
    I agree with CC everywhere except on airplanes, or restricted areas that have security and metal detectors.

IMHO to deny CC to law abiders and not have a "check" for those who are are not abiding the law, is negligent.
    Agreed. At least give us an even footing with the armed criminals. Then we at least have a chance.

I'd like to see CC on college campuses, but it may take more blood in the classrooms before we get enough votes for it to pass.

archer51 - thanks for the info. I haven't researched the carry rules for VT since I haven't been back there since getting my CCL.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links