My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun - Page 3

My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun

This is a discussion on My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It sounds as if the general opinion here is that merely allowing a weapon to be viewed is considered "brandishing". My take on that is ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun

It sounds as if the general opinion here is that merely allowing a weapon to be viewed is considered "brandishing". My take on that is that the definition of brandishing requires more than a view and would need to include some other overt act such as waving the weapon, pointing it or showing it with some sort of threat.

i, myself, think its the attaitude that comes with the "open carry". If somone is on there property and has there gun on there hip, no worries. If they come out with it open or concealed then start talking smack, thats a problem. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooguru View Post
    dave, what is scarey is despite weather he is legally able to carry or not what are they gonna do? I"m not siding with him but its just like these other clowns who carry illegally. Laws dont effect the law abiding citizens. Sorry bud i didnt mean to start ranting.
    Not legally able to CARY, legally able to POSSESS. If the neighbor is a convicted felon, or has a P.O. against him, etc. he shouldn't have the gun in his possession at all. If he's making threatening gestures, I'd be willing to bet that the local cops would run his name at the least. If it comes back that he shouldn't have the gun in his possession, they'll likely follow up.

Don't know about PA, but it would be considered brandishing in FL.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Don't get me wrong. I support legal carry in all forms. OC in PA is fine but from what she described to me, it was brandishing with the intent to intimidate. He deliberately lifted the shirt to show the CC gun IWB
    2A is not negotiable

I'd have to have been there to make a brandishing or not brandishing call but based on the post it would seem this guy needs to be removed from the roster of those who CC.

Doesn't sound like brandishing to me....nothing clearly threatening about wearing a pistol such that it can be seen. Now, waving it around or pointing it is a different matter.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I appreciate the suggestions......as always, great tips. Many thanks

I just got off the phone with her and she described this last encounter and a few others (Very similar) with the same guy. Based on that conversation, I feel like it is a deliberate intimidation issue. Credit to mom, her story was accurate enough to get me involved.

I told my sister to inquire about it with PA State Police. I asked her if it was an auto (It is...black likely a Glock) and what kind of holster it was in (Black Leather Pancake OWB) when it was exposed. I told her that in my opinion, if he was a CC permit holder she should not be able to describe the weapon in question. I also told her that if he is CC permit holder, there may be little she can do about it but to lodge an inquiry.

My suggestion to her was to inquire about him and ask the questions. PA does allow open carry but not in her Township unless it is hunting season. However, he is pals with the local Township police (Old school buddies) and I told her that Township police may be a bad idea in this case because of the prior relationship. The State police will be a better source for her inquiry as they have little to do with local Township police.

It's a crappy position to be in. Ignore it and hope it goes away (Doubt It) or call LEO to visit and ask questions and he will know exactly who called in the complaint.
    2A is not negotiable

I would start installing a bigger / thicker fence.. just a thought. A good fence = a good neighbor.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Have other neighbors had similar experiences with this guy, or has it been isolated to just your sisters family? It may be worth having a conversation with other neighbors and see how big this issue truly is.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    PA does allow open carry but not in her Township unless it is hunting season.
    Whoever told her or you this is absolutely incorrect. We have preemption in Pennsylvania. Her township can not make open carry illegal.

There is no law against 'brandishing'. There is a Pa. Supreme Court decision that clearly states that OC is legal throughout the Commonwealth. Being a Pa. License to Carry Firearms Holder does not require anyone to carry concealed.

VIP Member
    There is no law against 'brandishing'. There is a Pa. Supreme Court decision that clearly states that OC is legal throughout the Commonwealth. Being a Pa. License to Carry Firearms Holder does not require anyone to carry concealed.

What about first class city's like Philly and Pittsburg ?.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Philadelphia is the only "city of the first class" in Pennsylvania. A "city of the first class" is defined as one with a population of 1,000,000 or more. In a "city of the first class" a LTCF is required for OC.

Outside of Philly a LTCF is only required to carry concealed or in a vehicle.

Unless you're in Philly, if you are not a prohibited person, you may OC with no requirement that you be a LTCF holder.

Inspyrd:
    Have other neighbors had similar experiences with this guy, or has it been isolated to just your sisters family? It may be worth having a conversation with other neighbors and see how big this issue truly is.
    The answer to your questions is YES. Several other neighbors have approached my sister about this and they are equally concerned. We (Members of my family) have lived in that house for over 30 years now and this is a first. I grew up there but I moved away when I was much younger.

I don't know PA OC rules but I cannot believe that what he has been doing is not brandishing
    2A is not negotiable

VIP Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ccman

Philadelphia is the only "city of the first class" in Pennsylvania. A "city of the first class" is defined as one with a population of 1,000,000 or more. In a "city of the first class" a LTCF is required for OC.

Outside of Philly a LTCF is only required to carry concealed or in a vehicle.

Unless you're in Philly, if you are not a prohibited person, you may OC with no requirement that you be a LTCF holder.

unloved. Thank You for the update. CCMAN.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links