My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun - Page 5

My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun

This is a discussion on My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Call it whatever you like but a police report should be made on this guy ASAP. Tell her to go down to the police station ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun

Call it whatever you like but a police report should be made on this guy ASAP. Tell her to go down to the police station if she doesn't want a cop car in front of her house. She should tell her neighbors to do the same.

Question - Isn't there a county sheriff she can go to before the state police? Just curious.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dtweeks View Post
    Maybe not brandishing, but what about terroristic threatening?
    Possibly. If the neighbor had intent to terrorize.

If there are several neighbors with the same experiences as those described above this could apply.
    Again, possibly.
    I agree the best course would be to start with an inquiry with the State Police.
    I think the best course would be for LeCalsey to start by speaking to his sister( maybe his BIL would be better) and try to find out exactly why they (or maybe just she) felt menaced. Isn't it possible that she is operating under the mistaken notion that anyone who carries is legally obligated to carry concealed? Many Pennsylvania residents(including those who should know better) are. Isn't it possible that she simply feels uncomfortable seeing an unconcealed pistol and, thinking that she has witnessed a crime, believed that there was a menacing component to the neighbor's behavior? Of course it is.
    All we know is that LeCalsey's mother told him that his sister told her that she felt threatened.
    Good luck, I sure it's tough being your familly and not being there to help.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

LeCalsey,
    I hope I'm not giving you the wrong impression. If this guy is acting inappropriately he should be locked up. I'm just trying to make you aware that the possibility exists that he has done absolutely nothing wrong. Judging from the information you have posted I think it's a very strong possibility. I know my sister would freak out if she saw a pistol on her neighbor.

You mentioned that other neighbors have experienced this also. If the complainant's name is left off of the report, it could have been any of the neighbors. Just a thought.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I think if I were in her position I would be simply go out and get myself a nice big 45 in a fancy open carry holster something that just says "HI" and do the gardening with it on. Then when he came out and showed his gun I would just turn and say very kindly "thats a nice weapon you have there how do you like mine?"

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    The word 'brandish' means to wave something(especially a weapon) around menacingly. A holstered pistol can't possibly be brandished.........
    A month ago I would have agreed with you until I found this:

United States Sentencing Guidelines (U. S. S. G.)

§1B1.1 GUIDELINES MANUAL November 1, 2007
    – 16 –
    PART B - GENERAL APPLICATION PRINCIPLES
    §1B1.1. Application Instructions
    Application Notes:
    1....(C) "Brandished" with reference to a dangerous weapon (including a firearm) means that all or part of the weapon was displayed, or the presence of the weapon was otherwise made known to another person, in order to intimidate that person, regardless of whether the weapon was directly visible to that person. Accordingly, although the dangerous weapon does not have to be directly visible, the weapon must be present.

There is no law on Brandishing here in PA and yes we are an open carry state in that there is no law that makes it illegal hence thats what makes it legal
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    I appreciate the suggestions......as always, great tips. Many thanks

I just got off the phone with her and she described this last encounter and a few others (Very similar) with the same guy. Based on that conversation, I feel like it is a deliberate intimidation issue. Credit to mom, her story was accurate enough to get me involved.

I told my sister to inquire about it with PA State Police. I asked her if it was an auto (It is...black likely a Glock) and what kind of holster it was in (Black Leather Pancake OWB) when it was exposed. I told her that in my opinion, if he was a CC permit holder she should not be able to describe the weapon in question. I also told her that if he is CC permit holder, there may be little she can do about it but to lodge an inquiry.

My suggestion to her was to inquire about him and ask the questions. PA does allow open carry but not in her Township unless it is hunting season. However, he is pals with the local Township police (Old school buddies) and I told her that Township police may be a bad idea in this case because of the prior relationship. The State police will be a better source for her inquiry as they have little to do with local Township police.

It's a crappy position to be in. Ignore it and hope it goes away (Doubt It) or call LEO to visit and ask questions and he will know exactly who called in the complaint.
    Call the state police and inform them of your concerns, and tell them you would like to file a report...a paper trail is important.
    I would avoid this individual like the 'Swine Flu'. (any similarities here are purely coincidental)

Stay armed...stay away from 'crazies'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I would avoid this individual like the 'Swine Flu'. (any similarities here are purely coincidental)

+ 1.

Why don't you go knock on his front door and ask him what's going on?
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

You mentioned this took place over a period of a couple years. Why didn't she contact police after the first incindent or two?

IANAL, but I'm wondering if this fact would cause problems for your sister if (heaven forbid) a true SD situation arose. Would a prosecuting attorney argue that she couldn't have been justified in an armed response because it wasn't ever necessary in the prior two years (i.e., that the guy was harmless and your sister should have known it based on the other times)?

Quote Originally Posted by coltrane59 View Post
    You mentioned this took place over a period of a couple years. Why didn't she contact police after the first incindent or two?

IANAL, but I'm wondering if this fact would cause problems for your sister if (heaven forbid) a true SD situation arose. Would a prosecuting attorney argue that she couldn't have been justified in an armed response because it wasn't ever necessary in the prior two years (i.e., that the guy was harmless and your sister should have known it based on the other times)?
    That's why everyone is saying to file a police report, it starts a paper trail to show an ongoing problem.
    IMHO anybody who says do not file a report is doing so in poor judgment. Even if it is determined he is no threat, then no blood no foul.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

To answer the original question, I would speak to a LEO about what can be done. If this is a pattern of sorts, one would hate to see it escalate and not recognize the escalation. Taking the information that is given at face value, if it truely is intimidation, then start some sort of a paper trail, even if it's something as simple as a personal log for reference sake. Also can you say "video recorder"? If this is not an intimidation issue, then a couple of options present depending on how well this individual is known. Friendly approach, neighbor to neighbor. Or just let LEO address him.

just my .02
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Quote Originally Posted by yetidave View Post
    PA is an OC state, and there is no "brandishing" law per se. I would still strongly suggest she call the local police and at least have a conversation. Who's to say the neighbor is legally able to own a firearm?
    That's the point I was going to make. PA is an OC state but he is CCing. Without a CC permit?? I think I would call the local LEO and have that checked out. Even if he is legally CCing (I doubt that), he is obviously trying to "intimidate". That IS illegal.
    Pam
    Take care,
    VTXDM40...........Molon Labe

Distinguished Member
    As you respond to the thread------remember HE IS ON HIS OWN PROPERTY. Doubt if you need a CCW to carry on your own dirt.

Just be very sure of your response and action, because whatever can of worms that gets opened will never return to it original state. Some people are hard to read, are you sure--absolutely that the yard work being done is not on his property? or that he may believe it's his property. Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    Yes, in my opinion that is banishing, and it certainly tells a very clear story of what kind of person this is: a true accident waiting to happen.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Sponsored Links