My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun

This is a discussion on My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Couple questions. 1. You keep saying his CC handgun. How do you know he has a CC permit. 2. Why were no words exchanged while ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: My sister's neighbor is flashing his CC gun

Couple questions.
    1. You keep saying his CC handgun. How do you know he has a CC permit.
    2. Why were no words exchanged while he stared at them for over 30 seconds?
    3. If any member of my family described the events you did, I would at least attempt to talk to the individual. Why haven't you approached him to feel him out?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MidWestCarry View Post
    Couple questions.
    You keep saying his CC handgun. How do you know he has a CC permit.
    The gun was concealed, he lifted his shirt to expose the weapon. They don't know if he has a permit or not. You don't need to permit to carry a gun concealed, you need a permit to legally carry a gun concealed (in most states).

right, assuming he doesn't have a CC. He could of possibly lifted his shirt (OC) to become legal.

I know its a stretch, and the guy is probably a dirtbag, but it could of been an effort NOT to conceal.

Couple questions.
    1. You keep saying his CC handgun. How do you know he has a CC permit.
    2. Why were no words exchanged while he stared at them for over 30 seconds?
    3. If any member of my family described the events you did, I would at least attempt to talk to the individual. Why haven't you approached him to feel him out?
    1) We don't know but I have to assume for now. That is why she will be contacting PA State Police. PASP can do that with an auto tag alone from what I understand. I told her last night that they could tell her if he was licensed to carry which I assume he is. Since he mostly carrys CC, I have to assume he is doing it legally or its a bigger issue altogether

2) Since they have never been able to sucessfully strike up a conversation with him on any other prior occasions, they just stood there in amazement that he was standing there displaying his originally concealed handgun waiting for him to say something. He walked away while they stood there shocked. My sister is not confrontational and did not want to start with him

3) I live 850 miles away or I would be on his front porch asking the same questions. I used to live in that house so I know the layout. There is a fence between the yards but it is a low decorative one and it does not go between the houses for access to the power transformer between the two properties. The houses are close and maybe he thought they were messing with his ivy. Who knows?
    2A is not negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by MidWestCarry View Post
    right, assuming he doesn't have a CC. He could of possibly lifted his shirt (OC) to become legal.

I know its a stretch, and the guy is probably a dirtbag, but it could of been an effort NOT to conceal.
    That's been part of the discussion in this thread. However, the concensus of opinion is, if you're openly carrying then your weapon is always exposed. If a shirt or other garment is covering the weapon, then it's CC. Raising a shirt to reveal a CC weapon could be construed as converting from CC to OC. But, in some places it could be defined as brandishing. It's a very controversial subject.

However, it's the manner in which the shirt was raised (by description in the OP) followed by the actions of the carrier that hint at intimidation. Revealing the weapon with the intent to intimidate is the subject at hand. Hard to prove because it comes down to "he said, they said." It's also hard to prove intent.

However, it's the manner in which the shirt was raised (by description in the OP) followed by the actions of the carrier that hint at intimidation. Revealing the weapon with the intent to intimidate is the subject at hand. Hard to prove because it comes down to "he said, they said." It's also hard to prove intent.
    That is the very reason Florida no longer allows OC.

It really seems that OC is a very controversial topic in general. I have always been supportive of OC but I can see why the general public has the reactions it does, especially when idiots like this take the legality of CC / OC to the edge for their own purposes. I also know that you can do almost anything you want to on your own property as this spud has been doing but it gives all of us a really bad wrap IMO
    2A is not negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    That is the very reason Florida no longer allows OC.

It really seems that OC is a very controversial topic in general. I have always been supportive of OC but I can see why the general public has the reactions it does, especially when idiots like this take the legality of CC / OC to the edge for their own purposes. I also know that you can do almost anything you want to on your own property as this spud has been doing but it gives all of us a really bad wrap IMO
    Darn right it gives us a bad wrap! I hate being roped into the stereotypes. It's stuff like this that gets passed along. You hardly ever hear about the responsible gun owner. It's always something negative that sticks in people's memories.

Sorry to pull off topic but, why is it that FL doesn't allow OC?
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Devils advocate time...

Don't know about PA but could this just a mistake and be considered OC on ones own property, no real threats were actually made or implied but just assumed... I OC on my land, but have been known to wear a light shirt if it is chilly out.... but CC in your own yard is not a crime in most states....

As for cooling things down a tad, invite him to the local range for some buddy time and have a talk with the guy, he may not be as odd as you think....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Don't know about PA but could this just a mistake and be considered OC on ones own property... I OC on my land, but have been known to wear a light shirt if it is chilly out....
    The original poster wrote this about half way down the first page:

....He walked out of his front door to the corner of his house, stopped when he was only a few feet from my sister and her husband, lifted his shirt to dispaly the gun, and went back inside his house. Not a word spoken.....
    IANAL (but I am anal), but IMO that's not OC, that's brandishing with intent to intimidate.

Sorry to pull off topic but, why is it that FL doesn't allow OC?
    Keep tourism in mind with this response. Florida is USA's top tourism state and people from all 50 states as well as international tourism is abundant here. OC was legal in FL until about 15 years ago. Cops spent WAY too much time handling "man with a gun" calls resulting in VERY little prosecution. Florida did not want to infringe on 2A rights but just wanted to cut down false calls from freaked out tourists

Back on thread....what this spud has been doing really torks me. I keep my nose clean all my life. I spend my time and hard earned money to get my CC and guys like that are a reflection on me whether I support his activities or not. It sucks for all of us
    2A is not negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    ....You hardly ever hear about the responsible gun owner...
    Probably for a few reasons; first, if the responsible gun owner is truly concealing their carry weapon then no one will ever know; second, the times that a concealed carry weapon is used are probably minimal (I don't have any statistics so if someone does it would be appreciated); and third, I doubt that the media are inclined to report such things. It's not their philosophy.

The only Floridians who live in Florida are those who live in the interior. Everybody else is from New York. I believe you when you say that OC resulted in a lot of frivolous / panicked phone calls. Heck, most of those people would faint and wet themselves if you even drew a picture of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    .....Heck, most of those people would faint and wet themselves if you even drew a picture of a gun.

On second thought, that's kind of sad.

Administrator
    Just Curious. You said:

"She has two kids and has ignored the "unfriendly" actions and displays long enough."

Are her kids yelling and screaming and doing other normal "kidly things" outdoors?

I am NOT saying that in any way justifies his behavior but, only if the guy is bonkers...something has obviously got his Under~roos in a bunch if he is directing threatening animosity toward your Sister.

Since the actions of a nutty person are often unpredictable - you might want to tell her to have her kids play quietly if they are outside and making lots of noise.

That high pitched squealing really gets under some folks skin and could really set off some mentally disturbed individual.

That high pitched squealing really gets under some folks skin and could really set off some mentally disturbed individual.
    Thats what I tell my three kids (4,6&8) all the time. I'm gonna lose it if you keep it up! JK

Her kids are quiet and well behaved unlike me when I lived there.

IMO, this is a dude that wants to push the legal boundaries of PA OC / CC law for his own (Stupid) purposes. I told her last night that I don't think that this even is prosecutable (The old he said / she said thing) but he needs to be spoken to by LE. His actions, lawful or not, are alarming to neighbors and just not acceptable in a populated residential neighborhood. He needs to be set right.
    2A is not negotiable

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links